DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

so i played more with the battery today, I think im at a luxury because i managed to open the battery. I wanted to try one of the pad sets, this one:

Wg6EAEa.png

quickly realized that these were for a serial connection, not another power spot. I kinda wish i hadn't, cause I crossed my + and - wires accidentally (tape came off) and it fried a resistor on the smart board. Smart board wont turn on the Mavic anymore, no volts at the power pins. Oh well ..

Then i decided to go after soldering the power pins. I took #2,3 and bridged the connection (this is negative). I then took 4,5,6,7 (positive + ) and bridged a connection. I then soldered an xt60 line on, and hooked it into the Mavic. (Forgive my cr@p soldering here i was having issues with really cra@ppy solder and an iron which wouldn't heat)

CIRTJqy.jpg

UAYZlbp.jpg

The test is, "does the Mavic turn on without the battery powered on" .. the answer is in the video below:

Spoiler alert: It works. So the battery mod needs to be soldered onto the power pins directly. This bypasses the smart board and allows you to piggyback onto the power connection without it doing whatever it does. This wiill allow you to run externals directly from it. However, with the size of the pins this will be a hard mod without cutting out a pretty good piece of the battery plastic, or taking the battery cover off.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this is the method to use for modding the battery. Now I'm debating opening a second one to try on a non-fried smart board. If i did do it again, i'd do two small holes directly above the pins.

so i played more with the battery today, I think im at a luxury because i managed to open the battery. I wanted to try one of the pad sets, this one:

Wg6EAEa.png

quickly realized that these were for a serial connection, not another power spot. I kinda wish i hadn't, cause I crossed my + and - wires accidentally (tape came off) and it fried a resistor on the smart board. Smart board wont turn on the Mavic anymore, no volts at the power pins. Oh well ..

Then i decided to go after soldering the power pins. I took #2,3 and bridged the connection (this is negative). I then took 4,5,6,7 (positive + ) and bridged a connection. I then soldered an xt60 line on, and hooked it into the Mavic. (Forgive my cr@p soldering here i was having issues with really cra@ppy solder and an iron which wouldn't heat)

CIRTJqy.jpg

UAYZlbp.jpg

The test is, "does the Mavic turn on without the battery powered on" .. the answer is in the video below:

Spoiler alert: It works. So the battery mod needs to be soldered onto the power pins directly. This bypasses the smart board and allows you to piggyback onto the power connection without it doing whatever it does. This wiill allow you to run externals directly from it. However, with the size of the pins this will be a hard mod without cutting out a pretty good piece of the battery plastic, or taking the battery cover off.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this is the method to use for modding the battery. Now I'm debating opening a second one to try on a non-fried smart board. If i did do it again, i'd do two small holes directly above the pins.

Thans for the update!
Im almost done with the direct mod, need to glue the black stuff onto the top shell tomorrow.
Getting the shell off is a pain. Many traps inside and very little room for this mod. A thin (awg18) would be easy to take out but any construction inside to attach connectors directly is hard. Need to give special attention to the way the front leg cables move when folded. Ok, see pics:
20170627_215310.jpg
20170627_215330.jpg
20170627_215347.jpg
20170627_222841.jpg
20170628_003043.jpg
20170628_003520.jpg
20170628_003313.jpg
Edit: im planning to take 2 loose connectors and make horns out of em with sugru..when no payload.

Last edited:
Thans for the update!
Im almost done with the direct mod, need to glue the black stuff onto the top shell tomorrow.
Getting the shell off is a pain. Many traps inside and very little room for this mod. A thin (awg18) would be easy to take out but any construction inside to attach connectors directly is hard. Need to give special attention to the way the front leg cables move when folded. Ok, see pics:
View attachment 15967
View attachment 15968
View attachment 15969
View attachment 15970
View attachment 15971
View attachment 15972
View attachment 15973
Edit: im planning to take 2 loose connectors and make horns out of em with sugru..when no payload.
that looks nice man, good job

Reactions: BigMotor
that looks nice man, good job
Thank you, I still need to fly it, hoping i didn't screw up anything inside. The lead wires underneath the connectors rest on the ribbon cables, have to see if that does anything weird.
Measuring the ports my meter reads 12.95 V for a fully charged battery..anything odd or the battery losing capacity?

Thans for the update!
View attachment 15967
View attachment 15968
View attachment 15969
View attachment 15970
View attachment 15971
View attachment 15972
View attachment 15973

Great work! Looks really clean. I think you will like the results. You'll get all the power out of your externals. Added significant time for me over the clip mod.

Thank you, I still need to fly it, hoping i didn't screw up anything inside. The lead wires underneath the connectors rest on the ribbon cables, have to see if that does anything weird.
Measuring the ports my meter reads 12.95 V for a fully charged battery..anything odd or the battery losing capacity?

Mavic battery fully charges is usually right around 13V, not the full 13.05. There is some drop in voltage at the main leads versus directly in the Mavic battery, so 12.95 at the main leads should be about right. If you look in the Go 4 app, battery details, you'll likely see a higher voltage. Anytime you have a Smart Battery, there is a Battery Monitor System there will be some small drop in voltage. I'm sure this is why my externals are now discharged LOWER than my Mavic main battery after running the batteries down. Anyway, .05V drop is likely about right. I think you're good to go!

Reactions: MacIak
Mavic battery fully charges is usually right around 13V, not the full 13.05. There is some drop in voltage at the main leads versus directly in the Mavic battery, so 12.95 at the main leads should be about right. If you look in the Go 4 app, battery details, you'll likely see a higher voltage. Anytime you have a Smart Battery, there is a Battery Monitor System there will be some small drop in voltage. I'm sure this is why my externals are now discharged LOWER than my Mavic main battery after running the batteries down. Anyway, .05V drop is likely about right. I think you're good to go!
Ah that is nice to know! Learning all the time.
Feel really sick today, survived yesterday with painkillers and hyperfocusing on the mod.. i think all flights are cancelled for today :(

20170628_191226.jpg Mod finished. The sticker covers my battery mod screw-up.
Question: when taking the wires off one of the modded batteries i had a quick shortage n spark. Measured the voltage, still good. Is it safe to put this battery into the mavic again to check if it's still usable?
Pics:
20170628_191308.jpg
20170628_191441.jpg 20170628_192249.jpg

View attachment 16042 Mod finished. The sticker covers my battery mod screw-up.
Question: when taking the wires off one of the modded batteries i had a quick shortage n spark. Measured the voltage, still good. Is it safe to put this battery into the mavic again to check if it's still usable?
Pics:
View attachment 16043
View attachment 16044 View attachment 16045

The battery will show signs if it's damaged. You would see swelling and perhaps mismatched cells. Most likely it is fine. These batteries are pretty tough.

View attachment 16042 Mod finished. The sticker covers my battery mod screw-up.
Pics:
View attachment 16043
View attachment 16044 View attachment 16045
that turned out really well, i'd be proud of that work, nice man! i've touched the wrong ends of batteries a few times, will see swelling in the lipo if hurt .. probably okay.

Did you guys know that Rexuav hand tests every antenna that they build? Before it ships out the door. I ordered mine a few days ago and it shipped today! Woo Hoo!

The battery will show signs if it's damaged. You would see swelling and perhaps mismatched cells. Most likely it is fine. These batteries are pretty tough.
I must admit they are very tough. Could any swelling be observable in this casing? No funny smell or something, i will have to check when i feel fit again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu