DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

The Multistar LiHV batteries are far superior to other batteries due to the low weight per mah and low internal resistance. If you are looking for moderate flight time increase like 6-8 minutes, then lipo is fine. If you want to 15 - 20 minutes extra time, Multistar LiHV are the way to go. Multistar batteries are also cheap at $20 per battery. Do not get the lipo high capacity version as they have high internal resistance and you'll end up only using like 70% of the energy in them. Chargers can be had for under $50; however I do recommend getting a dual charger if you are running 2 external packs.
Wow! first time I heard of the dual charger if you gonna run 2 external packs, gotta get a dual charger ha, which one to get? gotta send another one back.....O well.

The Multistar LiHV batteries are far superior to other batteries due to the low weight per mah and low internal resistance. If you are looking for moderate flight time increase like 6-8 minutes, then lipo is fine. If you want to 15 - 20 minutes extra time, Multistar LiHV are the way to go. Multistar batteries are also cheap at $20 per battery. Do not get the lipo high capacity version as they have high internal resistance and you'll end up only using like 70% of the energy in them. Chargers can be had for under $50; however I do recommend getting a dual charger if you are running 2 external packs.
Thanks Nate. After one of your long range flights using the LiHV how much Mah does the charger put back in those cells? I would assume on your 4000mah lihv batts, is the charger putting back around 90% then?

Thanks Nate. After one of your long range flights using the LiHV how much Mah does the charger put back in those cells? I would assume on your 4000mah lihv batts, is the charger putting back around 90% then?
4100 or so if I do a max distance run.

I'll be doing the direct battery mod soon instead of using the clip on top. I'll be using the smaller xt30 connectors so they can sit flush in the bird. Should I use 14awg or would 16 be ok?

I'll be doing the direct battery mod soon instead of using the clip on top. I'll be using the smaller xt30 connectors so they can sit flush in the bird. Should I use 14awg or would 16 be ok?

16, even 18 with high strand is enough. Curious how you will fit them xt30 to be flush and firm, hardly any room inside..

Loss on 8" of wire would be .31% vs .20%, 16 vs 14. 0.088W at 7 amps.

Reactions: **mick**
d9ab44f4de4121f07375c6f1ba3b02be.jpg

Hey Guys,
So I Just got done testing this mod, and I wanted to let you know my results. I know that there is a lot of controversy over whether or not these actually work. In sport mode the batteries add about 4.3 minutes of flight time, while in regular flying the batteries add about 8.2 minutes of flight time even with the extra weight. It's not a huge difference but it can come in handy. I also like the way that the Mavic flys with the extra weight, it feels more stable. The mod I constructed above weighs around 176 grams in total. After about 2 hours of testing I have experienced no problems. I did a lot of research before testing this in the field and found that the extra power on the Mavics battery cells shouldn't affect it. My guess on how this works is that the LiPo batteries charge the Mavics smart battery while it is flying, as the remote doesn't read any extra mAh or volts, another reason I have for this theory is that the LiPo's can be used for three flights before they should be charged again. I am happy to answer any questions.
Nicely done, I'm in progress of the same setup and was hoping to get at least 8 miles round trip with 20 percent left using 2 5500 mah. I'll let you know.

Nicely done, I'm in progress of the same setup and was hoping to get at least 8 miles round trip with 20 percent left using 2 5500 mah. I'll let you know.
4 miles out and back, you can do that stock lol. I used 1 x 5200 and did a round trip of nearly 16 miles, would've been further if I didn't have to climb so high.
2 x 5500 is too heavy imho, and won't be any benefit from using a lighter setup

Last edited:
i am using a b6 stn charger, is it possible to charge multistar Lihv battery to 4.2v, i know it doesnt need 4.35v to the mavic, i just dont want to buy a new charger

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne