DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro boring for me once I learned I can't fly out of LOS

I was having so much fun, flying responsibly (away from houses, people, roads, etc) and even got a Crystalsky Ultra so I can see much better. Its amazing how clear it is and how easy it is to fly without LOS with the CS. I'd mainly just fly out over trees and empty areas around 150-200 ft altitude and explore. Most I'd go is around 2,000 feet away. At that distance the Mavic is too small to see in the sky, but I have zero issue navigating or with orientation. Nothing crazy, the furthest I got was 3,000 feet away for a few minutes then turned around but still so fun to fly something by just navigating with the CS screen and tools.

After digging more I realized I was "ABSOLUTELY" not supposed to fly out of LOS. Since then I've only flown where I can see the drone (a few hundred feet away) and its just incredibly boring for me. I can only fly to what I can see and the CS is pretty much useless.

Anyone have any ideas for dealing with this or fun things to do while in LOS? I went out today and basically flew circles over a lake and then got bored in 10 minutes and went home.

I find the vlos rules misinformed and out of date, until the governing bodies that make these stupid rules will ignore the advancements in technology I will continue to use common sense instead, this dose not mean I’m going to fly where i please but it dose mean on almost every flight I will probably go out of vlos since the Mavic is such a small drone it is almost impossible to not to lose line of sight when flying with in the recommended 400ft even with a spotter, and I would challenge ANY drone pilot professional or not to tell me they have never lost vlos of any make of drone they happen to fly. As a human being it is almost impossible to keep 100% attention on any one thing at a time...

Reactions: Drgnfli
I think the rules about flying within VLOS is out-dated, when hobbyist were flying model aircrafts with no camera. So they need to see where they are flying or they are pretty much flying blind.
Wonder how long before rules are updated.
Also, in Australia, you are not allowed to fly at night.

Would you really fly your expensive Mavic at night when the camera can’t see jack? It’s be the same as flying blind :eek:, now this rule makes perfect sense ;) but agreeed the vlos thing for a camera drone is outdated ;)

I was having so much fun, flying responsibly (away from houses, people, roads, etc) and even got a Crystalsky Ultra so I can see much better. Its amazing how clear it is and how easy it is to fly without LOS with the CS. I'd mainly just fly out over trees and empty areas around 150-200 ft altitude and explore. Most I'd go is around 2,000 feet away. At that distance the Mavic is too small to see in the sky, but I have zero issue navigating or with orientation. Nothing crazy, the furthest I got was 3,000 feet away for a few minutes then turned around but still so fun to fly something by just navigating with the CS screen and tools.

After digging more I realized I was "ABSOLUTELY" not supposed to fly out of LOS. Since then I've only flown where I can see the drone (a few hundred feet away) and its just incredibly boring for me. I can only fly to what I can see and the CS is pretty much useless.

Anyone have any ideas for dealing with this or fun things to do while in LOS? I went out today and basically flew circles over a lake and then got bored in 10 minutes and went home.

You could have a friend to spot with binoculars.

To answer the original question then... RTH does not rely on the visual or sonic sensors to return to the home point. RTH is principally based on GPS positioning and will work perfectly fine, with two minor issues. The two issues are 1) obstacle avoidance (but this is the same for flying manually to the home point). The aircraft won't be able to see and avoid an obstacle during its return or landing. Less likely generally with RTH since the height will be at the current height or higher, and manually most people will fly at the current height or lower.

And 2) as previously mentioned, assisted landing. Unless the landing location is well lit, the visual system (VPS) won't be able to detect the ground well and the Mavic will need to rely solely on the ultrasonic sensors. It may be difficult to determine its absolute altitude, so the landing protection system may not work properly.

In the end, hitting RTH at night in the dark is perfectly fine and the quad will return to the home point as it would during the day. At that point, it would be best to cancel the automated landing and bring it down manually for a slow and careful touchdown. With a well-lit landing site, RTH and landing protection will work just like in the day.

Thanks for clarifying --- and it's just what I meant. The "RTH" works fine -- it's the VPS for landing that may not work well -- so when the Mavic get's "home" cancel the auto-land and do it manually.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Flying beyond LOS is not illegal. It's just a recommendation from the FAA. It does not mean you can't do it. However, you need to remember to go far away in remote areas, where the possibility of damaging or hurting someone else is almost impossible. Do not do it in urban areas full of people, cars or buildings.
Wrong!

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
This!!
“Illegal“ has a specific, and yes legal, definition. Is defined as an action that is in violation of a statute. There is no statute against flying beyond the line of sight. There is nothing in the US code either. We have plenty of actual statutes in our daily lives we must follow, there is no need to make up new ones.

Definition of statute:
“An act of a legislature that declares, proscribes, or commands something; a specific law, expressed in writing.

A statute is a written law passed by a legislature on the state or federal level. Statutes set forth general propositions of law that courts apply to specific situations. A statute may forbid a certain act, direct a certain act, make a declaration, or set forth governmental mechanisms to aid society.”

Good definition of "illegal" and "statute". I suggest reading PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012. It is a law, and if you look, you will find the section where to be considered to be flying model aircraft, you must operate in VLOS. Otherwise, you have to pass the test and get certified by the FAA under Part 107. Part 107 is FAA reg and has it's own set of significant restrictions. Model aircraft are NOT regulated by the FAA, (unless they endanger the national airspace), but they do come under the above mentioned federal law.

As I've noted earlier in this thread, technically the FAA (and thereby Federal rules) does not defer to the AMA or any other organization with respect to flying VLOS (they do for other things like altitude, etc). In order to fly under Section 336, you must be flying VLOS (irrespective of what the hobby rules say). It's the price of admission according to the FAA. If you want to be considered a recreational flyer, you must be flying VLOS, and the FAA's definition is that the operator cannot use a spotter for this. Thereby, legally, the FAA considers it against federal regulation to fly recreationally using the DJI goggles (by the pilot - not a 3rd party).

Now... is this sensible and worthy of abiding? That is another question entirely and up to the individual operator. But if you ask the FAA, it is illegal to do so as a 336 pilot.

The VLOS LAW for amateurs isn't an FAA reg, it is Federal law. Specifically PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012. It is well explained elsewhere in this thread.

"By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2). 1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight."

Granted, legalistically it seems like a "ouroboros" (a circular symbol depicting a snake, or less commonly a dragon, swallowing its tail), due to the fact that in order to be determined as recreational and be exempt for Part 107 rules, you need to fly VLOS, but recreational flyers technically have no law promulgated that prohibits them from flying beyond VLOS. You could argue this of course if you end up hauled into Federal court, but it's a losing argument for sure with the FAA, and likely the same for the Federal judge.

If you want to read about this further, then dive into this:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf[/QUOTE]

Lisadoc. Doesn't the definition of a model aircraft being one flown within visual line of sight, come from the law (PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012 )? As the definition is part of the law, doesn't that mean that there IS "law promulgated that prohibits them from flying beyond VLOS? I am confused by that portion of your post. Thanks

Fly at night! With just the stock lighting on the Mavic you can get out to about 1.5 miles and maintain VLOS. Invest $50 or so in some strobes and you can get out 3+ and still see your Mavic.
Wow rules do differ globally. In our country NZ it's also illegal to fly at night along with LOS

Agreed. Required reading for all insomniacs. Only part that deals with question at hand is Sec 336, which has been well explained by others in this thread. Some people still do not believe it is law. That is why I posted with reference to the "Public Law" in the title. (For U.S. only, of course)

Essentially anyone looking at investing in a Drone should firstly refer to all restrictions of flight first.
If you had you obviously wouldnt have purchased

Essentially anyone looking at investing in a Drone should firstly refer to all restrictions of flight first.
If you had you obviously wouldnt have purchased

The only reason I went Part 107 was because in the Northeast you are never more than 5 miles from an airport.

I almost sent mine back before it got here... then I decided I could drop the $ on the 107 exam

I am no fan of the FAA when it comes to sUAV's

That’s a good idea

this dude is talking like flying at night is fun. yea its a bit fun but way way WAY less fun when you can only see what is being lit up on the ground and everyone else can see the strobe too, which means higher chances of being harassed by people who like to harass others, you know about those people, they are everywhere.

Sounds like you bought the wrong drone. What you need is a racing drone or similar.
Mavic is not for adrenaline kicks. Primarily its a flying camera tripod.
I agree with you, however I purchased a 150 and I lacked the skill to fly it.. Way to fast, I think a lot of you that race just have a knack for it or a skill you were born with.... I wish I could fly them, but I do have a blast with my Mavic.

Are you trying to fly racing style (i.e. in and around obstacles???) or do you just want to fly farther away. I use these very bright LED blinking lights. I use in front, back & both sides. They do not interfere with camera at all

[ http://a.co/iKAlcXR ]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer