DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Controller - battery life?

marinemavic

Reactions
Hi all, newbie here, haven't got off the ground yet but now ready to, as soon as howling northerly wind drops.
I bought a Combo, one of its extras being the car charger. I'm a bit surprised that I can't seem to use this charger to charge the controller. Am I missing something\? Or is the controller battery life pretty good, and unlikely to run out during a day's flying away from mains electricity?

Reactions: Anangguai
Hi, welcome! The RC battery should last more than long enough to deplete your 3 Mavic batteries. In a pinch you can hook up a mostly depleted Mavic battery with the battery/USB connector to give more time (I forgot to charge my RC and this got me home).

I've only had my Mavic Pro Platinum a few days, but I've noticed that when I return from a flight, my controller and battery have the same battery percentage remaining. With that situation, what good is having multiple aircraft batteries?

I've only had my Mavic Pro Platinum a few days, but I've noticed that when I return from a flight, my controller and battery have the same battery percentage remaining. With that situation, what good is having multiple aircraft batteries?
What percentage is remaining on the RC?

... In a pinch you can hook up a mostly depleted Mavic battery with the battery/USB connector to give more time (I forgot to charge my RC and this got me home).
Update: I did this again. My RC battery was not fully charged but since I was going to keep it within 200 feet I thought it would be OK to fly. The RC low battery alarm started beeping on my third flight but since my Mavic battery was fresh I attached a spent (about 20% left) Mavic battery to the RC to silence the alarm and kept flying. When I next checked my RC battery level it was down to 3% so I landed immediately. So at least on my system a partially spent Mavic battery will silence the RC low battery warning but not charge or maintain the RC battery itself.

Darkness and rain has stopped me from testing with a different power supply but I will test when I can (Seattle, may be a while).

I think everyone is noticing the issue where on android systems the RC will charge the phone battery when on, that's why the RC battery is going down faster than it should.

Always try and have a full battery on the phone

Yep full battery ....u could also use a powerbank hooked up simultaneously to the remote also if u get in a pinch

Reactions: maverickau
The DJI car charger is a complete piece if crap. Use a 2A USB cigarette lighter USB outlet to charge the RC and your phone. Despite what DJI claims, the car charger really doesn't work for charging the Mavic battery -- unless 10 hour charge times count.

You can also use a USB power bank to charge the RC, but it should be lasting as long as the three batteries you got with your kit -- at which time you'll be charging at home, no?

The DJI car charger is a complete piece if crap. Use a 2A USB cigarette lighter USB outlet to charge the RC and your phone. Despite what DJI claims, the car charger really doesn't work for charging the Mavic battery -- unless 10 hour charge times count.

You can also use a USB power bank to charge the RC, but it should be lasting as long as the three batteries you got with your kit -- at which time you'll be charging at home, no?
My car charger works very well, it's 70W which means it charges in less than one hour. Faster than the mains charger which is only 50W.

You may have a problem with your car 12V outlet.

M
My car charger works very well, it's 70W which means it charges in less than one hour. Faster than the mains charger which is only 50W.

You may have a problem with your car 12V outlet.
My outlet's fine. I have three of them. My DJI charger is crap. I searched on this sometime back and found many with the same issue. Perhaps there are more lemons? No matter, I have found alternate methods. Not one to push a boulder up a hill, I have moved on.

M

My outlet's fine. I have three of them. My DJI charger is crap. I searched on this sometime back and found many with the same issue. Perhaps there are more lemons? No matter, I have found alternate methods. Not one to push a boulder up a hill, I have moved on.

That is odd. My car charger charges mavic batteries significantly faster than the wall version.

Can you purchase additional controller batteries and can they be exchanged in the field? Is there a setting to keep the controller from trying to recharge the cell phone during operations? How low can the controller battery go and does a/c return to home automatically or what? Presently, unable to get full use from 2 a/c batteries before a fully charge controller drops below 15%.

Reactions: ken.derrenbacker
Can you purchase additional controller batteries
No. You can purchase additional remote controllers though.

Is there a setting to keep the controller from trying to recharge the cell phone during operations?
No.

How low can the controller battery go
0%

does a/c return to home automatically or what?
Using the default settings in DJI GO, the Mavic will initiate RTH when the remote controller signal is lost.

Reactions: maverickau
Here is a dumb solution , but you can connect a small power bank to the controller to keep it topped up. Just use the side micro usb port.

It's frustrating how you can't turn off the device charging.

Here is a dumb solution , but you can connect a small power bank to the controller to keep it topped up. Just use the side micro usb port.

It's frustrating how you can't turn off the device charging.

Not a dumb solution at all! I have a shirt pocket size charger (14,000 ma) and I'm now scheming on how to tape/rubber band it to the controller. If I was an accessory manufacturer I'd be trying to build solution to market. The question is can you fly and charge at the same time?

Holy smokes........I knew something was odd. I've been tinkering with my new MPP that I got a few days ago but can't fly outside currently because of the weather. While going through the settings in Go 4 on my Crystalsky I noticed that the controller battery seemed to be using up power faster than it should be. Then I came upon this thread and a YouTube video on the same subject.
How can this be acceptable. My DJI MPP FC is charging my DJI CS when they are hooked up? That's crazy.

Can you purchase additional controller batteries and can they be exchanged in the field? Is there a setting to keep the controller from trying to recharge the cell phone during operations? How low can the controller battery go and does a/c return to home automatically or what? Presently, unable to get full use from 2 a/c batteries before a fully charge controller drops below 15%.
I believe that the charging of the Android phone by the controller can be changed by how the phone is detecting the RC when connected, you can inform Android that the USB connection "just connected" is a device vs. charger.Perhaps under USB tethering? I switched to an iPad so cannot check.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22