DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic pro crash caused by malfunction of unit due to defective manufacturing

Lel1

Reactions
My Mavic Pro was purchased in October 2017 and was flown for the first time 2-3 weeks later, it had completed around 8-10 succesful flights, however, on 31st December whilst on vacation it fell out of the sky without warning and crashed near to the subject I was filming, luckily just missing her.

Flying conditions were good, battery was fully charged on take off and the unit crashed approximately 10 minutes into flight. I returned the unit to the shop who in turn returned it to the DJI dealer locally. I completed a flight report, provided them with my log in details and my flight log was uploaded to the cloud as requested.

After MY follow up with them I was told this week that the unit was ready for collection??...I had to request as to why the unit had crashed...I was told that the investigation had revealed that the aircraft crashed because of a malfunction caused by a manufacturing defect!!!! no apology was initially given!...I then queried this and was told that the unit has been repaired free of charge!

I pointed out the severity of the crash and thankfully the subject although was not hurt was deeply upset and distressed as was I at the time of the incident. They reply was that they were sorry however the repair has now been carried out. I am not happy with a mere repair and as the unit is so new surely a replacement was in order?? I was told no as the crash happened 15 days out of the replacement period....therefore had the crash happened in November they would have replaced the unit...Warranty does not apparently cover this situation??Has anyone else encountered such a situation?

Depending on where you are located , you might have additional remedies under your country and local laws, if purchased there.

After-Sales Service Policies - DJI

This is the clause of the warranty policy that DJI would seek to rely upon when not giving you a replacement, within 15 days you could have requested one.

"Replacement Service will not be provided where:
× Service is requested more than fifteen (15) calendars days after receiving a product.
× Legal proof-of-purchase, receipts, or invoices are not provided, or are reasonably believed to have been forged or tampered with.
× A product sent to DJI for replacement does not include all original accessories, attachments and packaging, or contains items damaged by user error.
× A product is found to have no defects after all appropriate tests are conducted by DJI.
× Any fault or damage of the product is caused by unauthorized use or modification of the product, including exposure to moisture, entry of foreign bodies (water, oil, sand, etc.) or improper installation or operation.
× Product labels, serial numbers, water damage marks, etc. show signs of tampering or alteration.
× Damage is caused by uncontrollable external factors, including fires, floods, high winds, or lightning strikes.
× Received product has not been sent back to DJI seven (7) calendar days after replacement confirmation from DJI.
× Proof of damage during transit issued by the carrier cannot be provided.
× Other circumstances stated in this policy."

Another mechanism for getting a new drone instead of a repaired one is DJI Care Refresh, but this not a free service and it costs initially and then for each of the 2 allowable claims

I pointed out the severity of the crash and thankfully the subject although was not hurt was deeply upset and distressed as was I at the time of the incident.

It sucks that your Mavic had a defect, but this is one of the reasons you shouldn’t be flying close to people.

Reactions: Simmo
It sucks that your Mavic had a defect, but this is one of the reasons you shouldn’t be flying close to people.

I was on a deserted beach in Africa at sunrise.....there were two people on the beach at that time myself and my subject...

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Depending on where you are located , you might have additional remedies under your country and local laws, if purchased there.

After-Sales Service Policies - DJI

This is the clause of the warranty policy that DJI would seek to rely upon when not giving you a replacement, within 15 days you could have requested one.

"Replacement Service will not be provided where:
× Service is requested more than fifteen (15) calendars days after receiving a product.
× Legal proof-of-purchase, receipts, or invoices are not provided, or are reasonably believed to have been forged or tampered with.
× A product sent to DJI for replacement does not include all original accessories, attachments and packaging, or contains items damaged by user error.
× A product is found to have no defects after all appropriate tests are conducted by DJI.
× Any fault or damage of the product is caused by unauthorized use or modification of the product, including exposure to moisture, entry of foreign bodies (water, oil, sand, etc.) or improper installation or operation.
× Product labels, serial numbers, water damage marks, etc. show signs of tampering or alteration.
× Damage is caused by uncontrollable external factors, including fires, floods, high winds, or lightning strikes.
× Received product has not been sent back to DJI seven (7) calendar days after replacement confirmation from DJI.
× Proof of damage during transit issued by the carrier cannot be provided.
× Other circumstances stated in this policy."

Another mechanism for getting a new drone instead of a repaired one is DJI Care Refresh, but this not a free service and it costs initially and then for each of the 2 allowable claims

Thanks for the reply and yes DJI Care Refresh, however, regardless of this the unit has be diagnosed Faulty due to a manufacturing defect? surely that speaks for itself??

They reply was that they were sorry however the repair has now been carried out. I am not happy with a mere repair and as the unit is so new surely a replacement was in order??
it may have been a software/firmware problem that would not require a replacement unit

Warranty does not apparently cover this situation??
Well it did...

In case of defect they've got to get you a working unit, which you now have. Repair or replacement isn't your call. Both are supposed to ge the case as in the defect isn't present anymore.

Well it did...

In case of defect they've got to get you a working unit, which you now have. Repair or replacement isn't your call. Both are supposed to ge the case as in the defect isn't present anymore.

If you purchased something new and expensive and used it for a limited time after purchase and it was found to be defective would you be happy with a repair or replacement??

Welcome to MavicPilots!
Please upload your flight logs so we could possibly enlighten you (and us) as to what the malfunction was.

If you purchased something new and expensive and used it for a limited time after purchase and it was found to be defective would you be happy with a repair or replacement??
Either. The whole point of a repair is to fix whatever the manufacturing defect was and put everything back in the condition it should have been in including anything damaged by the failure.
As long as you get a back a fully working unit in perfect condition the procedure doesn't matter.

Reactions: m0j0
Welcome to MavicPilots!
Please upload your flight logs so we could possibly enlighten you (and us) as to what the malfunction was.
the flight log has already been inspected by DJI Support

the flight log has already been inspected by DJI Support
But DJI wont let us know what went wrong!!
If we can look at the logs, perhaps determine the cause, then the whole community is updated on possible flaws, causes or procedures to avoid a particular outcome.
Not providing the logs for US to peruse makes this whole thread useless, and just a winge by you... no offense intended...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rufusbird2