DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro crazy video problem

VVill

Reactions
Dusted off my trusty old Mavic Pro 1 today for the first time in several months.

Flat calm day with barely any wind and a bit of afternoon sun.

I climbed to about 90m, came to a stop, started recording, tapped to focus the camera and wooooah... It felt like the drone was falling over in slow motion with massive arching tilts and spins, during which the front props came in to view. That's the closest description I can get.

I assumed something had gone majorly wrong and the trusty old steed was now plummeting to the ground, however the altitude wasn't changing at all...

After a few panicked seconds everything seemed to stabilise, and I made a hasty landing.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?

Was there any wind? What is your altitude MSL?
My friend had a similar issue when flying high in the mountains with his Mavic Pro, but it was way more drastic and scary than in your video.
My guess that it was only the gimbal acting up that way, maybe calibrate it.

Heck of a ride.

Follow the instructions from this site and paste the link back to here.

There's members here that can decipher the information and perhaps find a reason for it to do a loopity doo.

Good luck.

Reactions: GFields
Just looks like wind catching the gimbal, if every thing stabilized you should be ok.
This can happen when you fly directly into the wind or slightly at an angle but still going toward the wind.

To negotiate that you can fly backwards to rest the Camera if it is caught in the wind.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain. and land on the Water.

Gimbal shaking the dust off?

@VVill @GFields post above is probably a very good explanation for it behaviour ,the Gimbal being stuck in one place for several months, is not really a good thing ,and them suddenly finding itself moving ,and having to perform minute movements ,to keep the camera level would cause the issues you experienced
i did have a similar issue with my MPP a while back ,where it would suddenly move at an angle so the horizon appeared at an angle ,then it would dance around a bit, and as suddenly as it had begun it went back to normal ,unfortunately it got to happen more and more ,and in the end i fixed it by fitting a new flat ribbon cable between the gimbal and the control board ,and as of now that has fixed the issue
that cable is very thin and full of very fine wires,that can over time develop micro breaks at some of the places where it is subject to constant movement as the drone flies ,and this can cause the sort of intermittent problems that when they first happen can be very disconcerting as you found out

Reactions: MA2 317 and GFields
WOW! Scary stuff.
I had a similar problem (which turned out to be somewhat common, others said the same thing) with my Phantom 4 Pro. When flying sideways to the right, into a fairly strong wind or maybe gusts, the camera would flop over to a vertical position, then right itself after a few seconds (which, of course, seemed like forever in panic mode). Something to do with the relatively weak gimbal motor being pushed around.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121