DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro gimbal

Jetcutter

Reactions
Bought a used Mavic Pro on the cheap. The fella was honest and reported nailing a power pole. The Camera shows video, however upon startup the gimbal swings to the right and is unresponsive thereafter. Ribbon cable or? Thanks in advance. (old "new user" for some reason)

Reactions: Droniac
Probably a ribbon cable.
They are fairly fragile anyway, prone to wear from movement, and an impact can easily cause the final straw to cause a failure.
Of course it could be a further gimbal motor issue, but changing the ribbon is an obvious first step that’s relatively low cost to purchase (if doing it yourself), or send to have fixed at a DJI or other competent repairer.

Thanks Oz! cheap enough try. I've ordered one. I'll repost once I change it out.

Bought a used Mavic Pro on the cheap. The fella was honest and reported nailing a power pole. The Camera shows video, however upon startup the gimbal swings to the right and is unresponsive thereafter. Ribbon cable or? Thanks in advance. (old "new user" for some reason)
Ribbon cable for sure

Sounds like the ribbon, just take your time replacing it if you do it yourself. I've replaced several and its not a hard job but only after you've finished will you know if your gimbal is any good.

Flew it today. Camera was "free spinning" but I managed to verify camera itself is fine. Everything works as intended, except gimbal control. Will repost after ribbon install. Very foggy day. lil thumbnail.unnamed.png

• Love
I too just bought a Mavic Pro for $250 with the gimbal Overload Error. Planning to replace the ribbon. I see lots for sale on eBay and Amazon. Most say unbranded. Is it critical ti get a DJI branded one? Post links if you have a recommendation.

I’ve disassembled my gimbal and have concluded the cable is the culprit. You can see in the photos the ribbon lamination has failed. This is in the portion of the ribbon that goes to the camera board. It only moves with the elastic bands, but forward and backward movement would cause some strain on it. A crash might be just enough to twist it. I’m betting the delamination has allowed wires to get crossed. Here’s to hoping a new cable will do the trick.

Attachments

• C916A809-D2F8-4F8D-B226-F301D8FCBE5B.jpeg
    C916A809-D2F8-4F8D-B226-F301D8FCBE5B.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 9A1C9CBD-79F6-41F2-9EF8-360653331B34.jpeg
    9A1C9CBD-79F6-41F2-9EF8-360653331B34.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • C03C372F-3B11-433A-A655-00F8E8261817.jpeg
    C03C372F-3B11-433A-A655-00F8E8261817.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I’ve disassembled my gimbal and have concluded the cable is the culprit. You can see in the photos the ribbon lamination has failed. This is in the portion of the ribbon that goes to the camera board. It only moves with the elastic bands, but forward and backward movement would cause some strain on it. A crash might be just enough to twist it. I’m betting the delamination has allowed wires to get crossed. Here’s to hoping a new cable will do the trick.
Mine will be here Wednesday. Waiting to disassemble until I have my new one in hand.
Good luck with yours!

I cant find proper hex key. Small torx worked for shell screws, but body screws are stubborn. any links appreciated, Thanks
Edit; Ive tried several tool kits on amazon :(

I cant find proper hex key. Small torx worked for shell screws, but body screws are stubborn. any links appreciated, Thanks
Edit; Ive tried several tool kits on amazon :(

A couple of links that should help . . .

Google > mavic pro screw tool < loads of hits for small tool sets.
Might find an individual, but need to know right name, and the sets are useful and not too $.

A couple of links that should help . . .

Google > mavic pro screw tool < loads of hits for small tool sets.
Might find an individual, but need to know right name, and the sets are useful and not too $.
1.5 MM hex.
Edit: A T-6 torx is handy as well as a 5/64" Left Handed drill bit. (9$ usd.) Seems 3 were stripped from factory. Left handed bit had no trouble bringing them out, as they are torqued pretty low.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Update: Got the ribbon installed and the gimbal error is gone. Had to watch a video on the routing of the cable despite having taken photos. The trick was bending the new cable to match the original and then connecting the last/furthest connection first. I tried it the other way around and it just seemed to put too much stress on the ribbon to get to into position.

This video is priceless, I nearly gave up. That last bend is the most frightening part.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: careless
Thanks Oz! cheap enough try. I've ordered one. I'll repost once I change it out.
You can buy the gimbal with the cables already installed for about $55 on Amazon & EBay. Either way you should also order the front sensor ribbon cable. They are easy to break when removing the gimbal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000