DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic pro height limit modification

Man... When it warms up I will check flight costs to maybe Roanoke and pick it up there. I have been really wanting to take my son back there and do a road trip. Maybe rent an RV or something.

Careful up there fellas... the Parkway is under the control of the NPS and therefor, off limits to drones. I hike on the trails along there from time to time and was EXTREMELY disappointed to learn that. Some of the views seem worth the risk, but I've never taken the chance. Seems like there should really be a day or a time for folks like us to catch some footage.

Reactions: Guker
This hack will remove the limits set by firmware -

Where this is needed and is legal is when flying up a landscape or valley and perhaps over a structure. It would be easy under these conditions to require flying over 1600 feet yet still be withing the 400 foot rule.

Per FAA guidelines you’re still perfectly OK. Height above your takeoff point isn’t what matters. It’s height above ground at the location of the drone. If you’re always 400’ above the ground below you you’re legal. You’re also legal if you’re within 400’ of the top of any structure and 400’ horizontally of it.

I routinely fly to the 1600 ft.(Or whatever it is) maximum of the Mavic. I take off to 300 ft. fly over to the face of the Wasatch Mountains I live next to, then climb the mountain with my Mavic, all the while scouting for deer, mountain lions and bobcats. My drone might be 1600 feet above the launch point, but is never more than 300 ft above the terrain, and when it's over the mountain, it's probably usually only 50 to 100 ft. above the tree tops. So, technically, by the FAA guidelines, I am too high. I'm never even close to altitudes that any manned aerial vehicle flies near a mountain face though. Often, sitting over the mountain face looking out over my neighborhood and surrounding areas, I have watched medical and military helicopters flying below my altitude, but obviously they are a mile or so out and away from the mountain face. But still, it's pretty cool to watch manned aircraft flying below my drone.

My understanding is 400ft above the tallest object that you are within 400ft of.

Please stop watching Ken's clickbait and incorrect video (if that is where you got this from). What you mention only applies to flying under Part 107 (non-hobby flight). It does not apply to people flying for hobby use.

Most countries want you to stay below about 400ft above take off point, also the video and photo from much higher is not very usable.
Well, where I live out in the west hills of Oregon I commonly reach 1000 foot limit. I use it for plan views of large parcels and especially on clear and spectacular days in the morning. Set your yaw for very slow (20, I believe) and watch for temp and wind warnings...you can always drop if thing get a bit strange.

I work in construction and we use drones to survey buildings for thermal efficiency etc. and our pilots always flew under this rule. Just never realized that it only applied because they’re commercial. Thanks for the correction.

Please stop watching Ken's clickbait and incorrect video (if that is where you got this from). What you mention only applies to flying under Part 107 (non-hobby flight). It does not apply to people flying for hobby use.

Reactions: Guker
Mark nix please post some pics of the mountain terrain I live in Florida so I do not have any beautiful scenery would love to fly where you are but pics would work for now please

Here in the US ~there is no LEGAL height restriction for flying (as a hobbiest). Maintaining a 400ft ceiling is a recommendation (not a law). To the best of my knowledge, DJI has never refused to honor a warranty repair based on other flights (at least not openly).

I beg to differ with you on that, there is a set 400 ft limit within 5 miles of an airport and VLOS is the hard limit.. While I may be Canadian I do read and understand American. If you read the rules not from the FAA but the Government one. It defines what a model airplane is and what a recreational pilot is.

With the passage of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (PL 112-95) , Congress set aside further regulation of model aircraft provided, “the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization. (Section 336, Special Rule for Model Aircraft.) Under Section 336, AMA members can operate their model aircraft within the boundaries of AMA’s safety guidelines and programming.

Confirmed by the AMA in the following letter;

FAA Acknowledges AMA as a CBO and our Safety Program
Our hobby has faced many challenges this year as we address an increase in government intervention and proposed regulations. AMA has been aggressively advocating for our hobby, and during the past few weeks, we’ve been happy to report successful progress.

Today, our members have yet another AMA government advocacy victory to celebrate.

There has been confusion among our members as to whether operations above 400 feet are permitted by the FAA. AMA has remained steadfast that the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act) permits operations above 400 feet if conducted within our safety program requiring the pilot to be an AMA member, to avoid and not interfere with manned aircraft, and to keep the model in visual line of sight of the pilot/observer. It should be noted that the AMA Safety Code requires model aircraft to remain below 400 feet above the ground when within 3 miles of an airport unless there is notification or an agreement with the airport that allows models to safely go higher.

In January of this year, the AMA requested that the FAA clarify the 400-foot issue in writing. We are happy to share that in a recent letter to the AMA, the FAA recognized AMA’s role as a community-based organization and acknowledged our safety program, including allowing flight above 400 feet under appropriate circumstance.

In this letter, dated July 7, 2016, the FAA states:

1. “…model aircraft may be flow consistently with Section 336 and agency guidelines at altitudes above 400 feet when following a community-based organization’s safety guidelines.”

“Community-based organizations, such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics, may establish altitude limitations in their safety guidelines that exceed the FAA’s 400 AGL altitude recommendation.”

Essentially, this letter confirms that sailplanes, large model aircraft, turbines, and other disciplines can responsibly operate above 400 feet if the AMA member is operating within our safety programming. Equally important, the FAA again acknowledges AMA as a community-based organization.

This victory falls on the heels of other successful AMA efforts, including an AMA member exemption from the FAA’s Final sUAS Rule (Part 107), the removal of problematic text in the 2016 FAA Reauthorization Bill, and preserving the Special Rule for Model Aircraft through 2017.

These successes do not transpire easily and our advocacy efforts are not over. We will continue to work with the FAA toward reducing the burden of registration requirements on AMA members. Throughout the next 14 months, we will continue to work with Congress toward a long-term reauthorization bill that will further strengthen the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

We want to extend our appreciation to all of our members and donors for your support throughout this process.

So, firstly, you must be a member of the AMA or another nationwide community-based organization, which by the way, the only one approved to date is the AMA and secondly, you must follow their rules
Now if we read the rules updated by the AMA as of 2018 and you will see this. "Models using advanced flight systems allowing for automated or pre-programmed flight are permitted by AMA, provided the pilot remains in direct control and flies within visual line of sight. In such operations, the modeler must be able to override the automated and programmed features at all times. The specific automated functions allowed for this type of model operation are listed in this guidance document: I just jump to the really important section.

4. Range, Separation, Altitude, Weight, Speed
a) Range—flight range of sUAS is limited to VLOS of the pilot/operator.
b) Separation—AMA pilots should maintain the flight path of their sUAS at safe minimum separation distances from pilots, helpers, spectators, vehicles and structures as follows: 4.4 pounds or less and Park Pilot model aircraft not exceeding 2.0 pounds should maintain a minimum separation of 10 feet from pilots/helpers, 25 feet from spectators, and 50 feet from vehicles/structures. greater than 4.4 pounds should maintain a minimum separation of 25 feet from pilots/helpers, 60 feet from spectators, and 80 feet from vehicles/structures.
c) Altitude—Maximum altitude of sUAS is limited to 400 feet above ground level (AGL) when within 5 miles of an airport.
d) Weight—sUAS are limited to a maximum flying weight of 55 pounds, unless in compliance with AMA’s Large Model Airplane program (AMA document #520-A). e) Speed—model aircraft utilizing an onboard autopilot system for automated flight are limited to a maximum speed of 100 mph.

That my dear American friends is it in a nutshell while there is an actual 400 foot limit within 5 miles of an airport VLOS is the key, how far away can you identify your Mavik and it's orientation and direction of flight.

Here is both the AMA rules and the document for Models using advanced flight systems.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/100.pdf
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/560.pdf

I beg to differ with you on that, there is a set 400 ft limit within 5 miles of an airport and VLOS is the hard limit.. While I may be Canadian I do read and understand American. If you read the rules not from the FAA but the Government one. It defines what a model airplane is and what a recreational pilot is.

With the passage of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (PL 112-95) , Congress set aside further regulation of model aircraft provided, “the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization. (Section 336, Special Rule for Model Aircraft.) Under Section 336, AMA members can operate their model aircraft within the boundaries of AMA’s safety guidelines and programming.

Confirmed by the AMA in the following letter;

FAA Acknowledges AMA as a CBO and our Safety Program
Our hobby has faced many challenges this year as we address an increase in government intervention and proposed regulations. AMA has been aggressively advocating for our hobby, and during the past few weeks, we’ve been happy to report successful progress.

Today, our members have yet another AMA government advocacy victory to celebrate.

There has been confusion among our members as to whether operations above 400 feet are permitted by the FAA. AMA has remained steadfast that the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act) permits operations above 400 feet if conducted within our safety program requiring the pilot to be an AMA member, to avoid and not interfere with manned aircraft, and to keep the model in visual line of sight of the pilot/observer. It should be noted that the AMA Safety Code requires model aircraft to remain below 400 feet above the ground when within 3 miles of an airport unless there is notification or an agreement with the airport that allows models to safely go higher.

In January of this year, the AMA requested that the FAA clarify the 400-foot issue in writing. We are happy to share that in a recent letter to the AMA, the FAA recognized AMA’s role as a community-based organization and acknowledged our safety program, including allowing flight above 400 feet under appropriate circumstance.

In this letter, dated July 7, 2016, the FAA states:

1. “…model aircraft may be flow consistently with Section 336 and agency guidelines at altitudes above 400 feet when following a community-based organization’s safety guidelines.”

“Community-based organizations, such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics, may establish altitude limitations in their safety guidelines that exceed the FAA’s 400 AGL altitude recommendation.”

Essentially, this letter confirms that sailplanes, large model aircraft, turbines, and other disciplines can responsibly operate above 400 feet if the AMA member is operating within our safety programming. Equally important, the FAA again acknowledges AMA as a community-based organization.

This victory falls on the heels of other successful AMA efforts, including an AMA member exemption from the FAA’s Final sUAS Rule (Part 107), the removal of problematic text in the 2016 FAA Reauthorization Bill, and preserving the Special Rule for Model Aircraft through 2017.

These successes do not transpire easily and our advocacy efforts are not over. We will continue to work with the FAA toward reducing the burden of registration requirements on AMA members. Throughout the next 14 months, we will continue to work with Congress toward a long-term reauthorization bill that will further strengthen the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

We want to extend our appreciation to all of our members and donors for your support throughout this process.

So, firstly, you must be a member of the AMA or another nationwide community-based organization, which by the way, the only one approved to date is the AMA and secondly, you must follow their rules
Now if we read the rules updated by the AMA as of 2018 and you will see this. "Models using advanced flight systems allowing for automated or pre-programmed flight are permitted by AMA, provided the pilot remains in direct control and flies within visual line of sight. In such operations, the modeler must be able to override the automated and programmed features at all times. The specific automated functions allowed for this type of model operation are listed in this guidance document: I just jump to the really important section.

4. Range, Separation, Altitude, Weight, Speed
a) Range—flight range of sUAS is limited to VLOS of the pilot/operator.
b) Separation—AMA pilots should maintain the flight path of their sUAS at safe minimum separation distances from pilots, helpers, spectators, vehicles and structures as follows: 4.4 pounds or less and Park Pilot model aircraft not exceeding 2.0 pounds should maintain a minimum separation of 10 feet from pilots/helpers, 25 feet from spectators, and 50 feet from vehicles/structures. greater than 4.4 pounds should maintain a minimum separation of 25 feet from pilots/helpers, 60 feet from spectators, and 80 feet from vehicles/structures.
c) Altitude—Maximum altitude of sUAS is limited to 400 feet above ground level (AGL) when within 5 miles of an airport.
d) Weight—sUAS are limited to a maximum flying weight of 55 pounds, unless in compliance with AMA’s Large Model Airplane program (AMA document #520-A). e) Speed—model aircraft utilizing an onboard autopilot system for automated flight are limited to a maximum speed of 100 mph.

That my dear American friends is it in a nutshell while there is an actual 400 foot limit within 5 miles of an airport VLOS is the key, how far away can you identify your Mavik and it's orientation and direction of flight.

Here is both the AMA rules and the document for Models using advanced flight systems.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/100.pdf
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/560.pdf
Great post - well done. Thanks for the info.

I routinely fly to the 1600 ft.(Or whatever it is) maximum of the Mavic. I take off to 300 ft. fly over to the face of the Wasatch Mountains I live next to, then climb the mountain with my Mavic, all the while scouting for deer, mountain lions and bobcats. My drone might be 1600 feet above the launch point, but is never more than 300 ft above the terrain, and when it's over the mountain, it's probably usually only 50 to 100 ft. above the tree tops. So, technically, by the FAA guidelines, I am too high. I'm never even close to altitudes that any manned aerial vehicle flies near a mountain face though. Often, sitting over the mountain face looking out over my neighborhood and surrounding areas, I have watched medical and military helicopters flying below my altitude, but obviously they are a mile or so out and away from the mountain face. But still, it's pretty cool to watch manned aircraft flying below my drone.

Me too!

Just a few comments from my personal experience with the FAA...

FWIW, this note is most likely not an endorsement. The FAA makes no mention of a list of approved CBOs on their website. When I asked them about this via email, they told me the AMA is a CBO simply because of the fact that the AMA calls themselves a CBO. Also, the FAA told me it's not their responsibility to name the CBOs that satisfy US law. As far as I know, there is no list of approved CBOs.

So, firstly, you must be a member of the AMA or another nationwide community-based organization
US law does not require one to become a member of a CBO. One must only follow the rules created by a CBO.

secondly, you must follow their rules
Unless you're able to show us the US law that lists the AMA as the only approved CBO, I don't know if it would be correct to assume US law does not recognize other organizations as CBOs. If there are other CBOs, then nobody is required to follow the AMA rules.

Reactions: Qoncussion

Nope.. and the FAA is very clear on this. You don't need to be an AMA member. If you are not an AMA member, their by laws don't apply to you. You don't need to be under the rule of a CBO to fly as hobby use under Section 336.

Just a few comments from my personal experience with the FAA...

FWIW, this note is most likely not an endorsement. The FAA makes no mention of a list of approved CBOs on their website. When I asked them about this via email, they told me the AMA is a CBO simply because of the fact that the AMA calls themselves a CBO. Also, the FAA told me it's not their responsibility to name the CBOs that satisfy US law. As far as I know, there is no list of approved CBOs.

US law does not require one to become a member of a CBO. One must only follow the rules created by a CBO.

Unless you're able to show us the US law that lists the AMA as the only approved CBO, I don't know if it would be correct to assume US law does not recognize other organizations as CBOs. If there are other CBOs, then nobody is required to follow the AMA rules.

You are right, the FAA only say's "like the AMA" however, They are are CBO because of this;

According to 20 USCS § 7801(6), the term “community-based organization” means “a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that--
(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and
(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”

And since the AMA is the only one of it's type at this time that are considered the defacto CBO.

Nope.. and the FAA is very clear on this. You don't need to be an AMA member. If you are not an AMA member, their by laws don't apply to you. You don't need to be under the rule of a CBO to fly as hobby use under Section 336.

I'm not sure where your getting you information from but it is quite clear, and I quote, "the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" to be considered a recreational flyer and as such don't fall under the FAA's rules. as for belonging to the AMA, the FAA has stated several time, the the key wording is, and again I quote, "within the programming" And here is an interptation of the law you quoted...https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Last edited:
According to 20 USCS § 7801(6), the term “community-based organization” means “a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that--
(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and
(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”
20 U.S. Code Chapter 70 is for "STRENGTHENING AND IMPROVEMENT OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS". I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure this applies to model aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid