DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro in Medellin, Colombia

Lutzdrone

Reactions
Going to detail my travels in and Around Medellin, Colombia With my Mavic Pro. Ask Questions if you like.
Day 1. 07-08-2017 Travelled to Medellin from Orlando. Batteries in my carry on (2) drained and in Lipo bags. Drone and accessories in my Doubi bag. Never got a single question or strange look leaving Orlando or Arriving in Medellin. Both were wrapped in my Underwear for added cushioning and deter prying eyes. Charging up all batteries and will be looking to post a second installment tomorrow when my batteries are charged up as well. This place gets windy in the late afternoons as it is in the mountains after all. I included a foto of my Doubi Mavick pro bag found on Amazon. Photo from back of my Apartment. Much more to come tomorrow.
 .jpg

f8572538d5585526160bd51aedb104be.jpg

I got a question for you. Who cares about the drone? Why the Hell would you be walking around Medellin with anything valuable?

Well I'm A Complete Gringo and a tall large one at that so I stick out. I been coming to Medellin for the last 12 years. Like with any large city there are Neighborhoods I go and Neighborhoods I don't go. I am a photographer and own several of Canon large White stick out in any croud lenses and in all the times I took photos from one end of this city and surrounding cities I never had one problem. Never been treated better in any place in my life. Recently got my Drone so I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: MavicPro
I got a question for you. Who cares about the drone? Why the **** would you be walking around Medellin with anything valuable?

Question, why so hostile there Wayy510? Have you been to Medellin? Have you taken the time to get to know folks here? With any large city there is a time and place for everything. I don't go running into the worst neighborhood I can find with expensive gear neither here or in American cities.

Well I'm A Complete Gringo and a tall large one at that so I stick out. I been coming to Medellin for the last 12 years. Like with any large city there are Neighborhoods I go and Neighborhoods I don't go. I am a photographer and own several of Canon large White stick out in any croud lenses and in all the times I took photos from one end of this city and surrounding cities I never had one problem. Never been treated better in any place in my life. Recently got my Drone so I will let you know how it goes.

Good to hear you have found it to be safe. I have never been there, and only read the news reports regarding the drug cartel violence so I was curious.

I got a question for you. Who cares about the drone? Why the **** would you be walking around Medellin with anything valuable?

Ignorance is bliss?

I have been the Medellin and it is a fun and relatively safe place these days, or at least much more safe than it used to be. I also travel to many other areas that the ignorant think are dangerous, just got back recently from Cairo.

I can just explain it this way.... I had a colleague from China visit me in the SF Bay Area, in the beautiful, and incredibly safe, Saratoga area near the Santa Cruz mountains. When I dropped him off at his hotel in the swank "downtown" area he never ventured out of the hotel because his friends back in China told him how dangerous it is in the US. Among the $3m+ homes he was worried he was going to get mugged or shot.

Good to hear you have found it to be safe. I have never been there, and only read the news reports regarding the drug cartel violence so I was curious.

Seems much of the Drug Cartels nastier days are behind Medellin but I have not had any problems but then again I stay far away from that nasty business. What I have found is some of the nicest people on earth who want to show off their city in a wonderful light not the one everyone knows or think they know.

Ignorance is bliss?

I have been the Medellin and it is a fun and relatively safe place these days, or at least much more safe than it used to be. I also travel to many other areas that the ignorant think are dangerous, just got back recently from Cairo.

I can just explain it this way.... I had a colleague from China visit me in the SF Bay Area, in the beautiful, and incredibly safe, Saratoga area near the Santa Cruz mountains. When I dropped him off at his hotel in the swank "downtown" area he never ventured out of the hotel because his friends back in China told him how dangerous it is in the US. Among the $3m+ homes he was worried he was going to get mugged or shot.
Yes, I can see where Saratoga is just as dangerous as Medellin. Haha. Right.

Bro, you couldn't pay me to go to Medellin. Good luck!

Question, why so hostile there Wayy510? Have you been to Medellin? Have you taken the time to get to know folks here? With any large city there is a time and place for everything. I don't go running into the worst neighborhood I can find with expensive gear neither here or in American cities.
Oh, I don't know, maybe because of **** like this: Homicides in Medellin up 80% as turf wars threaten fragile peace

Or this: Fear returning to Colombia’s troubled tourist spot

Or this:
Colombia Travel Warning

Or this:
Lessons From a Murder in Medellin

Or this:
Are Medellin’s Crime Bosses After the Mayor?

I guess I'm just hostile to the great and peaceful city of Medellin. Just a hostile dummy. Just the dumb cop in me thinking with my head and experience.

But probably just because I'm "hostile". Silly me. Hey, I hear Somilia is beautiful this time of year! They love foreigners! Don't forget your drone!

Last edited:
Same crap is in Chicago. Actually, same crap is all over America, too. You cant walk around with gear in San Francisco, Philly, Dallas, Phoenix or other places. Its not just a Colombia problem.

Yes, I can see where Saratoga is just as dangerous as Medellin. Haha. Right.

Bro, you couldn't pay me to go to Medellin. Good luck!

If what you read out of my post is me comparing Saratoga to Medellin, well then... the point of my post clearly went straight over your head.

The OP is going to a new and interesting place that the majority of us will never get a chance to see. He is kindly going to share his experiences with us.

Let the marvel of our Mavics allow us to share more of our fascinating planet in our community. Not bicker amongst ourselves.

We all know there are good and bad areas on all continents. Lets see how many we can film and enjoy here.

Reactions: Clinton1
If what you read out of my post is me comparing Saratoga to Medellin, well then... the point of my post clearly went straight over your head.
Well, I'm pretty dumb...but not that dumb. No, I fully understood your point however, I think you missed mine.

It's funny your inferring Medellin is not that bad just because people are making it so based on its past reputation. Like your friend's friends telling him Saratoga is scary and he sat there afraid to venture out.

My point was Medellin and Saratoga shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category at all.

It's funny your inferring Medellin is not that bad just because people are making it so based on its past reputation. Like your friend's friends telling him Saratoga is scary and he sat there afraid to venture out.

Yet, it is all blown out of proportion. Medellin as a whole is not even on the top 50 list anymore of dangerous cities, yet Baltimore, St Louis, Detroit, and New Orleans are. But, it is all about what areas you go to. There are upscale areas surrounding the aforementioned US cities that are very safe, but the crime-ridden areas pull them onto the Top 50 list. Same goes for Medellin. Most of the deaths/crime in Medellin are in gang-infested areas on the outskirts of the city which most of the residents of Medellin don't venture to. The areas of the city where tourists go have very low crime rates, i.e. El Poblado, where I went, had 1 homicide last year, likely safer than the major city in your area. Furthermore, most homicides in Medellin are gang on gang, the amount of tourists that have been killed over the past decade can probably be counted on 2 hands.

My point was Medellin and Saratoga shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category at all.

Why not? I wasn't comparing Saratoga to Medellin. I was making a point that my Chinese colleague thought the entire US was dangerous, based on here-say from his friends and what the media/movies promote, regardless of where he was located.

Last edited:
When you are approached and asked to take the suitcase back to Orlando, just say no.

Reactions: Vilco
Generally speaking, we Americans are pretty ignorant. Especially when it comes to things outside our country. We think we live in the best country in the world when in reality, the USA has now become second tier. But we'll continue to think that we're the best and other countries are far more dangerous. 'Tis a shame.

Anyway, looking forward to more pictures/videos @Lutzdrone. I hear it's really beautiful down there.

I've been to Medellin many times, and know quite a few ex-pats who have moved there. Great place.
The most beautiful Christmas city I've seen. They really do it up.
By the way, placing batteries in "underwear" with additional packing is not going to stop prying eyes on the way out.
Your bag will be searched as never before.
That's just the way it is.

Going to detail my travels in and Around Medellin, Colombia With my Mavic Pro. Ask Questions if you like.
Day 1. 07-08-2017 Travelled to Medellin from Orlando. Batteries in my carry on (2) drained and in Lipo bags. Drone and accessories in my Doubi bag. Never got a single question or strange look leaving Orlando or Arriving in Medellin. Both were wrapped in my Underwear for added cushioning and deter prying eyes. Charging up all batteries and will be looking to post a second installment tomorrow when my batteries are charged up as well. This place gets windy in the late afternoons as it is in the mountains after all. I included a foto of my Doubi Mavick pro bag found on Amazon. Photo from back of my Apartment. Much more to come tomorrow.
 .jpg

f8572538d5585526160bd51aedb104be.jpg

Update- 07-09-2017 sorry to report no time to get out today to fly. I did just capture this as I got back to my Apartment but just with iphone.
aac9cab6387806c3caf634be19db9197.jpg

Reactions: Indianapolis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sathwik