DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Max Altitude.....

BillyDrone

Reactions
Hello there...
I bought a Mavic Pro in 2017 and still have it...It still fly's great...
I am still on the same filmware as when I bought it......I never update...
My question is with all the latest updates from DJI have the bricked the Mavic Pro and limited what it was once capable of doing?
Whats the max altitude with all the latest updates?

I live in USA
Oh. There's no place in the US that allows drone flights above 400 feet AGL (122 Meter) unless you got approved for an exception as a part 107 pilot. (So the restrictions down to 500 meter is mostly moot since you can't legally fly above 122 meter in the us anyways)

the drone of that flight almost certainly had hacked firmware.

Incidentally @BillyDrone if you are contemplating updating the firmware I would check to see if you will lose the ability to go above 500m BEFORE you update.

Hush... I don't want no trouble with the law.
Least with the old firmware you don't have to worry about DJI grounding you when you don't have good data reception to request geo unlock (newer firmwares force you to go thru their site to create a certificate for requested flight rather than simply getting lannc approval and flying at your own will).

And hacking the drone to get around that geolock/nanny software isn't illegal. Just may void warranty which is probably out of warranty by now on that model.

• Haha
Reactions: BillyDrone
Oh. There's no place in the US that allows drone flights above 400 feet AGL (122 Meter) unless you got approved for an exception as a part 107 pilot. (So the restrictions down to 500 meter is mostly moot since you can't legally fly above 122 meter in the us anyways)
You're mixing the different kinds of altitudes. The DJI limit of 500m has nothing to do with height AGL. It's just height above takeoff point. In the US, and I believe in most other countries, drone altitude legal restrictions are specified in height AGL.

If you fly in a hilly area, it is possible to exceed 500m displayed altitude (height above takeoff point) while at all times remaining below 120m AGL. It's also possible to exceed 120m AGL with a displayed altitude (height above takeoff point) of zero, or even a negative number.

You're mixing the different kinds of altitudes. The DJI limit of 500m has nothing to do with height AGL. It's just height above takeoff point. In the US, and I believe in most other countries, drone altitude legal restrictions are specified in height AGL.

If you fly in a hilly area, it is possible to exceed 500m displayed altitude (height above takeoff point) while at all times remaining below 120m AGL. It's also possible to exceed 120m AGL with a displayed altitude (height above takeoff point) of zero, or even a negative number.
I'm quite aware of that, if you look at what he originally said, he flew to 1400m , in the us, not supposed to be doing that anyways. (And in Minnesota there isn't very many places where you can climb to 122m agl, and then steadily keep going up to 1400m while still staying 122 above the current ground).

• Haha
........ it is possible to exceed 500m displayed altitude (height above takeoff point) while at all times remaining below 120m AGL. ..........
Uummm sorry but using unhacked DJI firmware that is, as far as I know, NOT possible, you cannot break the 500m above the takeoff point irrespective of the AGL. Even if you bunny hop up a hill you'd never see mot than 500m of height indicated as the height to zeroed at take off etc..

Uummm sorry but using unhacked DJI firmware that is, as far as I know, NOT possible, you cannot break the 500m above the takeoff point irrespective of the AGL. Even if you bunny hop up a hill you'd never see mot than 500m of height indicated as the height to zeroed at take off etc..
Right. The DJI firmware limits you to 500m. My phrasing was wrong. The point I was trying to make is that, if someone manages to exceed the 500m limit in height above takeoff point somehow, that does NOT necessarily imply that they have exceeded the legal 400 ft (122m) limit in height AGL.

Question, how high can we legally fly in the USA if for instance we take off from the roof of a skyscraper? Example, the Empire State building in New York City is 443 meters high. The ground is just 10 meters above sea level.

I realize NYC is congested airspace and in controlled airspace but for the sake of argument let's say it was in the middle of nowhere.

Question, how high can we legally fly in the USA if for instance we take off from the roof of a skyscraper? Example, the Empire State building in New York City is 443 meters high. The ground is just 10 meters above sea level.

I realize NYC is congested airspace and in controlled airspace but for the sake of argument let's say it was in the middle of nowhere.
Under the 44809 recreational rules, you can't. You're strictly limited to a maximum altitude of 400' AGL.

The Part 107 rules are slightly different. If you have a Part 107 license, you can fly up to 400' above a structure, as long as you're within 400' horizontally from the structure. This allows Part 107 pilots to inspect tall antenna towers. It also would allow takeoffs from tall skyscrapers, except that such flights might be prohibited by other rules (airspace, flight over people, roads, etc.).

my pro,s never fly high but they do go the distance searching for all sorts of things and usually save me countless hours of looking , I can,t even come close to covering as much ground as the pro in any vehicle ,atv,etc; etc;

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25