DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro No Video On Phone.

TAC57

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro that no longer shows video on my attached phone (Androd Pixel 3XL). It used to work just fine and has recently just stopped. All the data shows up on the phone, but no video from the camera. All the data/notes on the phone indicate everything is fine (Gimbal Status, Vision Sensors, Gimbal Calibration, etc.)

Below are the troubleshooting steps I've taken with no luck:
1) Confirmed I have the latest firmware in both the drone and controller.
2) Downgraded the firmware in both units to the previous version (and upgraded back).
3) Used a different USB cable to my phone, from both the USB micro and to the USB C on the bottom of the controller.
4) Recalibrated the gimbal.
5) Replaced the gimbal ribbon (not fun!) ;-)

From sniffing around the web the last two things I can think of that I haven't done is to replace the Video Ribbon cable and/or the Lens. Considering the prices, unless I get any feedback I'll probably try the video ribbon cable next.

What is strange, I've 'calibrated' the video camera from my desktop computer with the DJI Assistant 2, this is where there is dot pattern on my desktop screen and you systematically move the front (and bottom) of the Mavic Pro around the whole screen. On the bottom left of this screen is the Sensor Status that show the image from the Mavic Pro and this shows the video image of the dots as I move around the screen just fine! This indicates to me the camera must be working and the video ribbon cable must be good.

Does anyone have any ideas on my next course of action?

Just a thought but have you checked in the camera settings that the exposure isn’t turned all the way down?

I’ve had it before where I’ve booted up my drone and it just shows a black screen and thought the camera was broken but it turned out to be the exposure settings all along.

Try a different display phone/tablet. That will rule out the Mavic if it works correctly. Then it must be your phone or cable or software.

Just a thought but have you checked in the camera settings that the exposure isn’t turned all the way down?

I’ve had it before where I’ve booted up my drone and it just shows a black screen and thought the camera was broken but it turned out to be the exposure settings all along.
Yes, went to manual exposure on the camera settings and turned the ISO up to max (3200) with no change.

Try a different display phone/tablet. That will rule out the Mavic if it works correctly. Then it must be your phone or cable or software.
I tried my friends Apple iPhone with the same results. I used a number of different cables between the phone and the micro USB jack on the controller and between the USB-A jack on the bottom of the controller and the USB-C jack on my phone. I don't think it's the cable. Software, I've tried old and latest DJI s/w.

From sniffing around the web the last two things I can think of that I haven't done is to replace the Video Ribbon cable and/or the Lens. Considering the prices, unless I get any feedback I'll probably try the video ribbon cable next.

Since the DJI Assistant 2 Sensor Status shows an image on my PC screen from the Mavic Pro there is no reason I should have change the video ribbon cable, right?

I would think so. that would tend to verify that image is getting thru to processor?
Try to uninstall the go4 app ( I know you tried it on a friends device and same), make sure you delete all hte cache files etc for the go4 app, then reinstall the app.
Also, I would stay away from using the side port connector, fragile. Use the bottom port way more robust.

Cheap and easy to do.... I'll try it! Think I should hop on one leg, pat my head, and rub my tummy when I do?
No dice. Cleared cache and storage, uninstalled, reinstalled. Used a new USB cable and plugged into the A port on controller to my phone.

@Flycaster I Just did a recalibration on my PC with the DJI Assistant 2 and noticed the Sensor Status images on my PC are not from the main gimbal mounted camera but from the two sensors on the front of the Mavic Pro....... must be why they are referred to as 'Sensor Status'. When I cover the left or right sensor (or up or down) the image on my PC goes black. Screenshots attached.

Maybe I should change the video cable. :-/

Attachments

• Bottom view screen shot.jpg
    Bottom view screen shot.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Front view screen shot.jpg
    Front view screen shot.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 6
I'm out. You tried all the troubleshooting steps I would have gone through.
...What is strange, I've 'calibrated' the video camera from my desktop computer with the DJI Assistant 2, this is where there is dot pattern on my desktop screen and you systematically move the front (and bottom) of the Mavic Pro around the whole screen. On the bottom left of this screen is the Sensor Status that show the image from the Mavic Pro and this shows the video image of the dots as I move around the screen just fine! This indicates to me the camera must be working and the video ribbon cable must be good...
It has been three years since I have done this calibration and I remember the dot pattern but not a live feed. I know there have been many changes in the software since then but it makes no sense to me to see a live feed, especially for the bottom sensor calibration. The dot calibration is for the vision sensors and not the main camera.

Okay, back in. My confusion was when you stated that you got a live feed from your camera during calibration. Now you know that you were not seeing your main camera view but the VP cameras.

Since you have tried multiple cables from different ports and using a different display device, that leaves Go 4, your remote control, the camera (camera, cables, connectors), and motherboard (electronics inside the MP). Have you tried connecting directly to your phone via WiFi? If your video works via WiFi then the problem is with your RC (firmware, damaged port), the connecting cable, or perhaps Go 4. I suppose there could be an Ocusync transmission problem but I have not heard of one.

You mention reverting back to earlier firmware, but have you tried reverting back to an earlier version of the Go 4 software? I had an instance where a background Go 4 update made my video completely unusable (extremely pixelated). Since you tried different display devices this may be a stretch but worth looking into.

I wish you the best of luck further troubleshooting this problem. I am not a service tech so do not want to lead you down any more rabbit holes. Hopefully someone with a similar experience can offer an accurate fix.

Okay, back in. My confusion was when you stated that you got a live feed from your camera during calibration. Now you know that you were not seeing your main camera view but the VP cameras.

Since you have tried multiple cables from different ports and using a different display device, that leaves Go 4, your remote control, the camera (camera, cables, connectors), and motherboard (electronics inside the MP). Have you tried connecting directly to your phone via WiFi? If your video works via WiFi then the problem is with your RC (firmware, damaged port), the connecting cable, or perhaps Go 4. I suppose there could be an Ocusync transmission problem but I have not heard of one.

You mention reverting back to earlier firmware, but have you tried reverting back to an earlier version of the Go 4 software? I had an instance where a background Go 4 update made my video completely unusable (extremely pixelated). Since you tried different display devices this may be a stretch but worth looking into.

I wish you the best of luck further troubleshooting this problem. I am not a service tech so do not want to lead you down any more rabbit holes. Hopefully someone with a similar experience can offer an accurate fix.
Tried via WiFi and on a Samsung tablet, no video. Guess I'll try swapping out the video cable.

I had the same problem with the Mavic I purchased. The guy had crashed into a stop sign. I replaced the tiny video cable and everything worked. You will need to remove camera from drone. Pretty easy fix, cable was $14 on Amazon. Just be careful not to pinch any of the hair like wires when installing.
Good luck, you will be up and going in no time

Reactions: Night Hawk 1
Replaced the video cable and still black screen. :-( Both gimbal and video cable, WTF. If nothing else I'm getting really good at dismantling the camera on a Mavic Pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argentry