DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum RTH warning?

Badgersurfer

Reactions
Could someone tell me if you can turn off the RTH warning sound with the on/off button on the mavic pro platinum please. Also, if I fly below a cliff edge videoing the face it would be out of my line of sight but would I lose the signal? The cliff is facing the sea with no hazards for about 120 meters to the beach.

Could someone tell me if you can turn off the RTH warning sound with the on/off button on the mavic pro platinum please.
You can't turn off the RTH sound, but if you have signal, you can cancel RTH and fly home yourself.
Also, if I fly below a cliff edge videoing the face it would be out of my line of sight but would I lose the signal? The cliff is facing the sea with no hazards for about 120 meters to the beach.
You have to have a clear, unobstructed line of sight between the controller antennas and the drone.to keep your control signal.
That's just physics, radio signals don't travel through cliffs.

Reactions: WAXMAN
You may be able to muffle the sound by blocking the small speaker in the controller, but you would to need open the controller to do so.
I seem to remember this subject in the past where some were drilling into a particular spot on the controller without opening it for the reason you mentioned. Been a while, so I could be mistaken. I’ll see if I can find it.

This one.

RTH advisory / warning aren't an issue unless RTH is happening :)
What's causing this ?
Or are you simply sick of the advisory playing when you have triggered this ?

Cliff dangers, all depends on direct flight plans.

Best to obviously (and safely !) get close enough to the cliff edge to get the shots you want, then you need to stay *reasonably* distant to the cliff with the MPP to keep good signal . . . not only to the controller, but also for good satellite connections.
Just keep an eye on the signal / sat meters on the screen, and adjust flight if needed to keep control.

It can be dangerous to let RTH happen in those situations, even simple flight . . . cliffs notoriously have some big wind patterns / updrafts, and if an offshore wind, low pressure systems near them . . . they can suck your drone in.
Stay in P mode to keep sensors working, the front OA might help if this happens, as long as the MPP is facing the cliff, and ground OA can help if descending and a crag or something is sticking out, but that's probably too close !

Post up the video, hopefully those big coastal cliffs you have around the place :)

Reactions: Badgersurfer
RTH advisory / warning aren't an issue unless RTH is happening :)
What's causing this ?
Or are you simply sick of the advisory playing when you have triggered this ?

Cliff dangers, all depends on direct flight plans.

Best to obviously (and safely !) get close enough to the cliff edge to get the shots you want, then you need to stay *reasonably* distant to the cliff with the MPP to keep good signal . . . not only to the controller, but also for good satellite connections.
Just keep an eye on the signal / sat meters on the screen, and adjust flight if needed to keep control.

It can be dangerous to let RTH happen in those situations, even simple flight . . . cliffs notoriously have some big wind patterns / updrafts, and if an offshore wind, low pressure systems near them . . . they can suck your drone in.
Stay in P mode to keep sensors working, the front OA might help if this happens, as long as the MPP is facing the cliff, and ground OA can help if descending and a crag or something is sticking out, but that's probably too close !

Post up the video, hopefully those big coastal cliffs you have around the place :)
Yep, I am new to drones. I have been an RC Slope Soarer for nearly 50 years, so quite familiar with cliffs. I wasn't planning on dropping too far below the cliffs and as you can imagine have had my soarers hit dead air or down drafts over the years and always been lucky enough to recover them. I had a cam on my SS and was trying to video Fulmars as they fly with me but it is very difficult so I figured I would try with the drone. I haven't actually used RTH but I was watching a youtube vid whereby a guy turned off the sound but I figure that is only an option on the mavic 2.

Yep, I am new to drones. I have been an RC Slope Soarer for nearly 50 years, so quite familiar with cliffs. I wasn't planning on dropping too far below the cliffs and as you can imagine have had my soarers hit dead air or down drafts over the years and always been lucky enough to recover them. I had a cam on my SS and was trying to video Fulmars as they fly with me but it is very difficult so I figured I would try with the drone. I haven't actually used RTH but I was watching a youtube vid whereby a guy turned off the sound but I figure that is only an option on the mavic 2.

Cool mate, hope you manage to get those wonderful birds in flight, they look quick !

RTH should only kick in if you activate it manually, or if the drone / controller loses signal between them, or if RTH low battery happens.
In reality for a flight like yours, no RTH in any of these scenarios is the best option, keep control and fly it, as I'm sure you'd rather do anyway.

From a clifftop, with few higher obstacles, set RTH height to say 10m (or whatever a minimum might be), as if it kicks in for low battery or whatever, you don't want it going up higher into more unstable / faster wind.
If it kicks in for loss of signal, you should regain signal as it comes more into LOS, then you can cancel and fly yourself again . . . that's a good place to be 100% in control as a pilot.

Please post a video in the photos / video section if you manage to make the flight ok.

Depending on how close to or far down the face of the cliff you are, you will be blocking some of your sarellites. If you lose enough of them, bad things will happen quickly. I sometimes fly very close to tall buildings, and my VO and I always keep an eye on the number of satellites and the gps signal strength and have an alternate option(s) we discuss before takeoff.

Reactions: Mossiback
There's a few things come to mind on this one:
1) If you were to stand at the top of the cliff then fly the drone down directly below you, you are putting the drone in a signal dead-spot, the same way that it would be if directly overhead. So that's the first pointer that would advise me to be off somewhere where I could see the drone and RF connect is max..
2) Slope-soaring gliders would be accepted by the sea birds a bit better than the drone I think. There are numerous stories of drones being given a hard time by gulls! Again, being able to see if your drone is causing the sea birds some stress, might be wise.
3) As already stared, stone cliffs make a good RF block! keep line of sight to keep contact between the controller and drone.
4) Although slope-soaring gliders experience gusts and down-drafts, they are usually travelling through them at a decent rate to get out the other side of a localised piece of rough air before it's fatal. If your drone gets in rough air - and you can't see it, it is going to be difficult to get it out unscathed ...
5) The drone holds its position using GPS sat's ... If half the sky is blocked then the drone will find it difficult to get a decent spread of satellites to hold a 3D position in the air. Again, if you can see it, you can notice when it's not keeping position like it should.
6) If you are flying close to directly below you, then you may get a RTH situation where the drone detects it is less than 5 metres from the Home Point - and it decides to land itself ... on the rocks way below!!!
Apart from that - you are good to go! ... :)

Reactions: Badgersurfer
1) If you were to stand at the top of the cliff then fly the drone down directly below you, you are putting the drone in a signal dead-spot, the same way that it would be if directly overhead. So that's the first pointer that would advise me to be off somewhere where I could see the drone and RF connect is max..

6) If you are flying close to directly below you, then you may get a RTH situation where the drone detects it is less than 5 metres from the Home Point - and it decides to land itself ... on the rocks way below!!!

These are very good points !

Point 1, the antenna on the MPP are in the front legs, and typically get best signal when parallel laterally to the controller, with the controller antenna flat towards the drone. drone || .. .. .. .. || controller

It doesn't work as good (even losing signal totally) like these positions . . .

drone
||

=
controller

or . . .

controller
=

||
drone

Point 2, for the MPP, if closer than 20m from the HP, RTH should behave normally.
Less than 5m from HP, it will land where it is !!
Also between 5m and 20m, it will behave as per page 16 of the manual, so be very careful !

Ie, if less than 10m alt than the HP (which would be in case of - altitude), it states it will ascend 10m then try and RTH, obviously this is bad, even with forward obstacle sensors.

Best to have launch / observation point some distance to the side of the cliff you want to fly down, so you have very good LOS, safe position too of course.
So you are well over 20m away, and risk of RTH problems are mitigated.
You then should keep away from the cliff enough to keep good satellite strength, and with little or no wind, you SHOULD be ok.

I just re-read the thread, and see you are new to drones.
Maybe, just maybe, you should leave this a little while to gain more drone flight experience, and practice a lot of these RTH and other features.

I'd hate to see you posting in the crash section, asking why your beautiful MPP hit the rocks 120m below !

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Yes you have do a search for the firmware that lets you customize your controller it works really well..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98