DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro sending Coordinates to Authorities

Looks like the Mavic may be sending location/ID info VIA UUID (Universally unique identifier). Thoughts?

28504-27a223f1e7a8544c584890c6a93bf0a8.jpg

You all know that dji just got in a bunch of trouble for sending info back from our dji military drones to china right? It was all over the news just a few months ago. Privacy doesnt mean anything to them.

Reactions: egildersleeve
Sounds like complete BS to me.

Local authorities don't have the time or resources to monitor who's flying what, where and when.

Would do nothing for DJI brand if it was found they were sharing location and account details.

Also probably illegal depending where you are of course.

This

Depending on circumstances, a person can have a reasonable expectation of privacy. But a drone is not a person. Whether a drone is flown in a restricted area or an unrestricted area the drone doesn't have any right to privacy. The pilot may be outside the restricted area or in it. But the restriction doesn't typically apply to the person, it applies to the presence of an airborne drone.

Just as authorities can get a court order to compel Apple to provide your iPhone's location during a certain period, so will DJI provide the information for your drone.

Congress has given the FAA the control of ALL airspace above the US. When you fly a drone you are under the purview of the FAA, whether you like it or not. It's not the same as just walking down Main Street USA with minding your own business or sitting in you living room watching TV.

I remind you that the OP admitted to flying in a restricted area. The conversation would be different if no such violation occurred.

Mark
I tend to agree. You are in regulated airspace when you are flying your drone in the US or anywhere else. Your drone has no rights--no privacy. If DJI is sending the info of the drone's location to the local authorities that, in my humble opinion, is not an invasion of YOUR rights. The drone is not telling anyone where YOU are. I also agree with an earlier responder that it would not be good PR for DJI to do this--especially without announcing that they are doing it.

I tend to agree. You are in regulated airspace when you are flying your drone in the US or anywhere else. Your drone has no rights--no privacy. If DJI is sending the info of the drone's location to the local authorities that, in my humble opinion, is not an invasion of YOUR rights. The drone is not telling anyone where YOU are. I also agree with an earlier responder that it would not be good PR for DJI to do this--especially without announcing that they are doing it.
That would be an invasion of privacy though and in the UK why we have the data protection act.

So you would be happy with DJI sending all users location to authorities just incase someone breaks a law.

What if Google or Apple started sending users phone locations to authorities just incase a crime is committed.

Or being asked to submit DNA or fingerprints when innocent, just incase you commit a crime in the future.

I can understand aeroscope as it only shows drones within its range and can be used when operator is suspected of commiting an offence.

DJI storing all users locations from flight logs and passing to authorities however I would not agree with and would be illegal in a lot of countries.

I don't believe this is happening as it would kill their reputation and defeat the purpose of aeroscope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lopez0015
Keyword. Court Order.
Come search the data in my truck without one. Yu can't... legally.
You're a fool and totally convinced by all the Political nonsense, and there's plenty theses days, if you think the authorities are going to obtain your certified aircrafts logbooks or data and inspect you plane without a judge's legal determination.
Everyone is afraid of their own shadow these days. You can thank this fear of everything to to man at the top and all fradycat his lapdogs.
Fly, drive, skydive, walk, run and speed down the highway. When they want you they'll have the legal proof when time comes. I love just inside the five Mike ring of the local airport and called the tower. They told me thanks for the call but you don't need to. Just don't fly to close or to high. Calm down people.... it's your own shadow, not the Taliban isis or the local drone detecting hit squad. Good grief.

My point was more that aeroscope is acceptable to me. Serial number identification in the field and can get user by court order.

Saving all users historical locations on servers and passing them along with user details to god knows what organisations is not.

The conversation was not about wether OP was flying in a restricted area. It was wether DJI are passing data illegally to authorities on every flight you make. That was OPs question.

Oh and the FAA couldn't give a **** where I fly my drone ;)

Hence the reason some of us Government users can not purchase DJI using Homeland Security Grants.

Sounds like complete BS to me.

Local authorities don't have the time or resources to monitor who's flying what, where and when.

Would do nothing for DJI brand if it was found they were sharing location and account details.

Also probably illegal depending where you are of course.

I agree it would do nothing for for DJI, but authorities don't need to spend any time. It's all software. All they have to do is find infractions and then auto-mail fines, etc.

I agree it would do nothing for for DJI, but authorities don't need to spend any time. It's all software. All they have to do is find infractions and then auto-mail fines, etc.
With what evidence?

You can't prosecute or issue fines going by questionable data from a Chinese company.

That's like receiving a speeding fine as Google app recorded you were driving at 90mph.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Unfortunately the company DJI was sharing information. Not to local authorities but to the subsidizing government China.

Not sure if this has been discussed before here, but I saw a Youtube video where a Mavic Pro user talked about how the Mavic Pro sends your coordinates to local authorities. I'm a little concerned because I am close to a nature area and I am worried that I'll receive a fine in the mail (or a knock on the door) for flying over restricted areas.

What do you know or think about this? Should we be concerned that this will cause a lot of us Mavic Pro users to become targets for government agencies to create a new revenue stream?

Thanks!
The NTSB generated report may have lend some insight into this discussion. htmlReport

Reactions: Callum
Not sure if this has been discussed before here, but I saw a Youtube video where a Mavic Pro user talked about how the Mavic Pro sends your coordinates to local authorities. I'm a little concerned because I am close to a nature area and I am worried that I'll receive a fine in the mail (or a knock on the door) for flying over restricted areas.

What do you know or think about this? Should we be concerned that this will cause a lot of us Mavic Pro users to become targets for government agencies to create a new revenue stream?

Thanks!
why are you flying in restricted air space to begin with ?? as such, you should be locked up ... all your doing is making it bad for the rest of us and giving all drone enthusiasts a bad name !!! luckey you werent flying over a military position

Just fly your drone (legally) and have fun. Your in car GPS also displays your vehicle speed - I’m sure TomTom or whoever is not sending speed reports to your local authorities (under judicial authority or not) - or would.

If you are still concerned, put your tin foil hat on and enjoy flying your aircraft. Its more fun when not worrying about Big Brother watching you while flying legally.

Thanks!
I can hardly get the signal to properly transmit to me.. let alone to a bunch of people sitting God knows where at their screens that are paid to watch me fly. More like what the self appointed Drone Police and DJI wants you to believe.

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi
why are you flying in restricted air space to begin with ?? as such, you should be locked up ... all your doing is making it bad for the rest of us and giving all drone enthusiasts a bad name !!! luckey you werent flying over a military position

Just like murderers give hunters a bad name?
Or bad cooks give chefs a bad name?
Maybe people who go to the gym give fat people a bad name?

Maybe you are being just a little dramatic? Its his drone, His money, His reputation.
His actions will have zero effect on you personally, unless you are flying in the same place at the same time.

Just fly your drone (legally) and have fun. Your in car GPS also displays your vehicle speed - I’m sure TomTom or whoever is not sending speed reports to your local authorities (under judicial authority or not) - or would.

If you are still concerned, put your tin foil hat on and enjoy flying your aircraft. Its more fun when not worrying about Big Brother watching you while flying legally.
all the way back to cars having ob1 [80's] the computer stored our driving habits in the event of contested accident.

Reactions: 3VP
Just like murderers give hunters a bad name?
Or bad cooks give chefs a bad name?
Maybe people who go to the gym give fat people a bad name?

Maybe you are being just a little dramatic? Its his drone, His money, His reputation.
His actions will have zero effect on you personally, unless you are flying in the same place at the same time.

I'm going to have ti disagree with you on this point. There are cases where a few peoples actions can affect the group at large. Yes, every time there is a violent firearm incident it negatively affects the rest of the law-abiding firearm owners with new and "better" laws. When a sport bike rider has an accident doing a stoppie in heavy traffic or a biker with straight pipes cruises through heavy traffic more new and "better" laws happen. Recreational drones are a new area that is developing daily and every irresponsible user gives the public new reasons to start asking for more new and "better" laws. We need to police our own community or the police will start doing it.

I'm going to have ti disagree with you on this point. There are cases where a few peoples actions can affect the group at large. Yes, every time there is a violent firearm incident it negatively affects the rest of the law-abiding firearm owners with new and "better" laws. When a sport bike rider has an accident doing a stoppie in heavy traffic or a biker with straight pipes cruises through heavy traffic more new and "better" laws happen. Recreational drones are a new area that is developing daily and every irresponsible user gives the public new reasons to start asking for more new and "better" laws. We need to police our own community or the police will start doing it.

No, seems you are agreeing with me, but you dont realize it.
There is already several laws in place for everything, but the will always be people that break those laws.
Laws are meant to be broken I have often heard.
If what somebody does with their drone affects you, that is on you. Because you will only be affected if you also do stupid things with your flying toy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13