DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro - still relevant in 2020?

MP is one of the few moddable DJI UAS. You can hack it with forum help and modify a ton of stuff. Not important at first but once you have hundreds of flights the company imposed restrictions become burdensome. Food for thought.

I didn’t know the Mavic Pro could be hacked. What sort of stuff can you do with it? LOL. I’m interested now.

What sort of limitations do they put on their other aircrafts?

Thank you for this!

Not sure why but I don’t have permission to access this page.

I think you need to acknowledge the risks somewhere on the forum.

Here's a summary:

Features of Super-Patcher

Remove height limitations by default
There is nothing additional the user needs to do to enable this feature and it is always enabled.
As soon as the Super-Patcher process is complete the drone will ignore ALL height limitations even if set by the user in DJI Go 4.
*This is not optional and is hard-coded into the firmware. *
To enable height limits again would require uninstalling Super-Patcher which can be done simply by flashing to a stock firmware version
**It is always the responsibility of the pilot to fly safely and to know local regulations.**
Remove NFZ and GeoZone limits by default
There is nothing additional the user needs to do to enable this feature and it is always enabled.
As soon as the Super-Patcher process is complete the drone will ignore all forced GeoZone and NFZ limitations
*This is not an optional and is hard-coded into the firmware. *
Please note:
GeoZones will still be marked in the app and the app will still warn you when the drone is close to or in an NFZ, however…
Your drone will not be prevented from flying
Your drone will not be forced to auto-land.
You drone will not be preventing from taking off
**It is always the responsibility of the pilot to fly safely and to know local regulations. **
Enable Galileo satellite reception by default
The drone will now connect to Galileo GPS satellites in addition to the satellites already available. This means you can expect to see a greater satellite count in the app and a stronger, more reliable, and more accurate GPS signal.
There is nothing additional the user needs to do to enable it and it is always enabled.
Typically you can expect to see your sat count at between 20-30 sats once they have all connected
Does NOT require an internal SD card be installed
With older methods for unlocking, namely mixed firmware mods, the Mavic Pro Platinum and some more recently manufactured Mavic Pros required that the Mavic be opened and an internal SD card installed for other mods to work. NOT with the Super-Patcher. Super-Patcher does NOT require an internal SD card because it is NOT a mixed firmware mod.
No motors errors on Mavic Pro Platinum
With other modification techniques the Mavic Pro Platinum will give motor errors due to not having the correct ESC modules for the upgraded MPP ESCs
Because Super-Patcher modifies the flight controller on v01.04.0300 firmware which has the correct ESC modules for Mavic Pro AND Mavic Pro Platinum there will be no motor errors and ESCs will work as designed
Precision RTH and Precision Landing are not affected and will work normally
With older methods for removing height limits and NFZ limits, namely mixed firmware mods, the precision RTH and precision landing features did not function as expected.
Because Super-Patcher is not a mixed firmware mod it does NOT affect these functions and so they will work as expected.

Optional Features

Optionally customize parameters with Assistant 2 1.1.2 in debug mode
Just like any other firmware you can use Assistant 2 1.1.2 in debug modeto turn up the max speed parameters, enable ATTI mode, or virtually endless parameter modifications
For more information on some of the available parameter mods see howto:parameterhacks [dji.retroroms.info]
These are optional
Optionally enable slower more cinematic panning motions for more cinematic video.
Enables setting yaw speed to as low as 1 degree per second in any mode using Assistant 2 1.1.2 in debug modeor directly in DJI Go 4 for P-GPS mode to get much smoother and slower cinematic pans.
By default yaw speeds are factory default
Each flight mode has its own yaw speed parameter that can be changed in Assistant 2 1.1.2 in debug mode. The value these parameters is in degrees per second
The parameters for yaw speed for each mode are:
P-GPS mode with front OA sensors ON
g_config_avoid_cfg_avoid_tors_rate_range
Stock is 70. My personal preference is 27
P-GPS mode with front sensors OFF
g_config_mode_normal_cfg_tors_gyro_range
Stock is 100. My personal preference is 25
Sport Mode
g_config_mode_sport_cfg_tors_gyro_range
Stock is 200. My personal preference is 30
Tripod mode
g_config_mode_tripod_cfg_tors_gyro_range
Stock is 30. My personal preference is 3
Cinematic Mode
CM_tors_range
Stock is 50. My personal preference is 3
These are optional
Optional ability to enable full time FCC or FCC boost mode with jkson_fcc_mod by jkson5
[Edit this has now been merged into Super-Patcher but is only available for the Mavic Pro/ Mavic Pro Platinum/Mavic Pro Alpine White and P4Pv2
This is not actually part of Super-Patcher and I did not make this mod but it is frequently asked if this mod can be done on top of Super-Patcher so I have decided to include the information here that YES jkson_fcc_mod can be done after Super-Patcher is complete.
If your bird already has jkson_fcc_mod installed it will NOT interfere with Super-Patcher but you will need to reinstall jkson_fcc_mod after the Super-Patcher process is complete.

Reactions: easyheimer
As long as it flies well and does what you want it to do, then it is 100 relevant.
I still have my original DJI F450 Flamewheel and it performs as well today as it did when I bought it in 2014.
Of course I have added GPS and Tarot BL gimbal for my Hero 3 Black and 600mw FPV.
Best part is it will fly on 3S or 4S batteries and has no flight restrictions whatsoever.
It also has an ATTI mode which I love.
It is also very easy and cheap to repair if it should ever need that.
I also Have a Mavic Pro but if I was only allowed to keep one, I would keep the F450 Flamewheel.
:cool:

I have flown the mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum for over 2 years specifically for photography. Over 400 flight and 150 hours. I’ll admit I also have a Mavic 2 Pro and an Evo. But a majority of my time and experience is with the Mavic Pro/Platinum. It has been wonderful platform for photography. I will have to say...since you mention you are a photo enthusiast....taking on the Mavic Mini you are giving up one BIG factor. You cannot shoot in RAW. This is a big show stopper for me. Granted the dynamic range on the Mavic sensor is not like that of my Sony gear, but it is a far bit better than jpg.

As to your other issue with size, you will find with the correct backpack and travel gear it is not cumbersome at all. I have traveled internationally and across the states with my Mavic and photo gear in one backpack and never had a problem. I use a Lowepro Protactic 350. In that I can carry a Sony A7Rlll, two lenses, filters small tripod, 2 batteies, lume cubes and misc photo gadgets, Mavic with remote, 3 batteries, charger, extra props, lens filters and a MacBook Pro 13. I also still have a couple pockets to stash more stuff.

What it domes down to is what are you shooting And where you are shooting. The Mini will never match the range or transmission ability of the Pro. It certainly wont match the video quality And photo quality you find in RAW shooting It is however fun to fly and a very stable platform to take photos from. It is quite small and easy to travel with. If you have no experience with flying drones it is definitely the one to learn on.

just my two cents worth....

Hello everyone. I'm from sunny Malaysia.

Recently with the launch of the Mavic Mini I've become very interested in this hobby of flying for photography.

I'm something of a photography enthusiast with dslrs and various kit n flashes.

I've followed the whole Mavic mini early adoption issues and I find it alarming that some of the issues being brought up are happening, to cit it short I believe I'm able to afford a used, under 1 year old Mavic pro fly more combo. (The used market is around usd700 here).

My question is does the camera / gimbal sensor performance still cut it in 2020? I know that silicon sensors improve at a fast rate, compared to many other tech products. I'm just a learner in terms of flying, while I hope the photos can still justify a flying camera. I think I'll mainly just take regular landscape photos and the odd family hike or 2.

Thoughts? Or should I go for a similarly priced Mavic Air combo?
It’s a great quad. I am still flying mine and it still makes my day when I get a nice shot!

I still use all three of these drones. They all do the same basic things. GPS positioning. 2.7k+ three axis gimbal stabilized video. Programmable flights. FPV on mobile devices. Flight telemetry. Multiple failsafes. The biggest differences are size and weight. :)

pro mini 3dr sky cropped 4.jpg

Appreciate all the valuable inputs gleaned here. Alas, the Mavic Pro Platinum I was eyeing did not materialize due to logistics issues. Instead I was offered a Mavic Air Combo for USD650. I'm now counting the days to weekend so that I can perhaps drive to a better place to fly (I live in a NFZ) while reading the manual every night.

Reactions: easyheimer
Appreciate all the valuable inputs gleaned here. Alas, the Mavic Pro Platinum I was eyeing did not materialize due to logistics issues. Instead I was offered a Mavic Air Combo for USD650. I'm now counting the days to weekend so that I can perhaps drive to a better place to fly (I live in a NFZ) while reading the manual every night.

That’s a nice deal on the Mavic Air.

It was flown less than 10 times, 2 months old. It was listed in a Facebook Mavic User group for Malaysia.

It is to me!!! I fly mine almost every weekend for the lasts 2.5 years I love mine I will get a MP2Z one day but just not yet the MP does everything I need it to do just fine. I just like to fly! My mavic has a few thousand miles on her not joking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks