DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro took off uncontrollably

Hey everyone quick question and I am almost embarrassed to ask it because over 350 flights on my MP, I own a Spark, a Yuneec Typhoon H Pro, and a Tello and I fly daily. Anyway question is in what direction should the Drone be facing when you take off? I have never worried about orientation when taking off, I simply wait for home lock and then take off. I have only had one issue and that's when I was rushing to take off, kept getting compass errors and redundancy switch errors but as soon as I got a home point I initiated take off and boy did it ever, lol directly into my face, I ducked it flew past me full throttle and the only input it would listen to was climb, so I gave it full up and after 25 sec, it got a new home point I gained control and I was able to bring it back and land, turns out that area is problematic and I have never flown there since never had a problem. Anyway if you guys could tell me you procedure concerning direction and orientation I would really appreciate
See my post #17.

We could call it the @BudWalker YawCheck? I guess you should probably be the one to name it though;)...
I think YawCheck would be a good name.

The witty back-and-forth repartee on this has been fun. And, I certainly appreciate the sentiment. But, maybe we should end on a high note before we wear it out. You know, leave them wanting more.

Reactions: MavicCF
I think YawCheck would be a good name.

The witty back-and-forth repartee on this has been fun. And, I certainly appreciate the sentiment. But, maybe we should end on a high note before we wear it out. You know, leave them wanting more.
Ok, sorry about that.

Hey everyone quick question and I am almost embarrassed to ask it because over 350 flights on my MP, I own a Spark, a Yuneec Typhoon H Pro, and a Tello and I fly daily. Anyway question is in what direction should the Drone be facing when you take off? I have never worried about orientation when taking off, I simply wait for home lock and then take off. I have only had one issue and that's when I was rushing to take off, kept getting compass errors and redundancy switch errors but as soon as I got a home point I initiated take off and boy did it ever, lol directly into my face, I ducked it flew past me full throttle and the only input it would listen to was climb, so I gave it full up and after 25 sec, it got a new home point I gained control and I was able to bring it back and land, turns out that area is problematic and I have never flown there since never had a problem. Anyway if you guys could tell me you procedure concerning direction and orientation I would really appreciate
Look at this and make sure it's consistent with the actual orientation.
triangle.jpg

I always wait for gps lock and go straight up to 5-6 ft and test ALL control movements gently including humble pitch (takes 4-5 sec)... before departing.... and I virtually always place it facing away... even when hand launching or recovery . My advice always do it the same way every time and that way you will instantly clue in when something out of the ordinary happens

I always wait for gps lock and go straight up to 5-6 ft and test ALL control movements gently including humble pitch (takes 4-5 sec)... before departing.... and I virtually always place it facing away... even when hand launching or recovery . My advice always do it the same way every time and that way you will instantly clue in when something out of the ordinary happens
But, you can still have a fly away while you're doing your checks if the Yaw was compromised at launch. Best to check the actual heading is consistent with the heading shown in the Go App map display.

But, you can still have a fly away while you're doing your checks if the Yaw was compromised at launch. Best to check the actual heading is consistent with the heading shown in the Go App map display.
Yes sure look at the display location and heading . . just be consistent. Does not matter what heading you start with

It is the name for the test @BudWalker discovered for finding out whether or not there is magnetic distortion in the area you are flying.
If you look at the map icon in you DJI GO/4 you will see a little red airplane, if you look at the orientation of it, (whether its facing north, south, east, west) it should match the direction your Mavic is facing on startup. If you Mavic is facing north, but the little red plane is facing east, then you are in a distorted area and should not take off.

Very cool/useful. Glad to learn it. Even more cool that the developer is right here to chip in. Thanks all.......... R

Have only had one compass problem while flying. MP had just finished a LItchi mission and entered RTH. It did the usual process for RHT until it got overhead and should have turned to face the direction it was facing when it took off. Instead the dang thing turned 180 degrees wrong. I interrupted the RTH and hand landed it without incident. Re-calibrated the compass and IMU and haven't had any further problem. Don't know if it was a compass error originally or not, but it was startling when the craft does unexpected things.

Long story short, I had my Mavic Pro up about (guess) 200 feet above me. All of a sudden it tooff like a mad man in one direction. No controls could get it to respond. GPS showed an error and it just kept flying away. The only thing that worked was to try and land it. Down control did not work, but landing button did. Sadly this went too far away and probably crashed into a giant pine tree.. I am so sad. It poured rain about 3 hours after trying to find it.. I've seen people get help showing their TXT flight file. I would so appreciate any help with mine! I feel so hopeless.

A lot of us use services such as Airdata (free with a total of 100 flights at any given time, In other words, if you have 100 in the Que, you simply drop one or more to add more flights. The free service volume works good for what I do, and provides quite a bit of data relating to the flight.

one thing it show is your beginning and ending GPS coordinates which can be used to determine your average heading from Home. In your case it was 339 degrees while the wind was from 162 degrees at 11.9 MPH. Your heading and wind direction were almost identical since the inverse of 162 is 342 degrees, meaning you were being pushed farther away while in atti mode at around 11.5 MPH

I lost two cheap drones due to drifting on the wind. Fortunately I'm yet to experience an atti mode situation.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos