DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro v. Spark Which is Better for Travel?

Teacherbytes

Reactions
A moment ago

I will be flying out to Southern California in December and I am debating which drone I should take with me: Spark or Mavic Pro. Each have their pluses and minuses such as size, weight, etc.... I am leaning towards the Spark with the lighter weight, smaller footprint, and lower cost if it should get lost. However, an argument can be made with the Mavic Pro such as folding down, longer flight time, and better video.

At the end of the day it’s your choice. Both are very small units so taking them on as “carry on” not going to be a problem.

Battery life, well it’s a no brainer. Also what you’ve got to think about is what you’ll be doing with it when you get there.

So just weigh up the pros & cons of both devices & see what one comes out on top.;)

Last edited:
Depends on what you're going to be taking videos of in California. If its just for quick group shots of you and the family or you're going to be backpacking for twenty miles then the Spark would be my choice. Any other scenario and I would grab a Mavic. If you're not carrying it in addition to other gear for long distances then size becomes a matter of threshold, it just has to be small enough and they're both small enough to carry around. If you're just taking simple family shots and maybe a few other pictures of where you visit and you just think it would be cool to have a little drone that you can fly around for fun too the Spark can do that. I got my refurbished Spark with the fly more kit for $430 on ebay. But if you really like taking pictures and you really like making videos, or think you will then the Mavic will have more air time, better range and a better camera which will totally be worth the additional cost.

Spark is better for hiking/backpacking. Especially with that charging dock.
I’m going to Hawaii in January and bringing 3 birds. Spark, air and zoom.

I have an Air and a MP2.

I traveled to Seattle/Puget Sound for a week not long ago, right after I bought a Mavic Pro 2. The battery life made it a no brainer and I'm glad I brought the Pro.

If you're not planning on flying and don't want to pack a drone, then throw in the air/spark. Also, I like letting my friends (even kids) fly my Air, so bringing that gives me something to share.

I like letting my friends (even kids) fly my Air, so bringing that gives me something to share.

This is a major reason I ended up buying both, so when my friends are out with me they can fly too but with something less intimidating than the Pro 2.

A moment ago

I will be flying out to Southern California in December and I am debating which drone I should take with me: Spark or Mavic Pro. Each have their pluses and minuses such as size, weight, etc.... I am leaning towards the Spark with the lighter weight, smaller footprint, and lower cost if it should get lost. However, an argument can be made with the Mavic Pro such as folding down, longer flight time, and better video.
If the winds are going to be more than the Spark can handle, you will be mad you left the MP at home.

I did the same but swapped the Spark for a Mavic Air after one flight, that is definitely the best for travel.

Agree if you don't mind the loud noise of the Mavic Air. On the other hand, the Spark is hugely popular and takes awesome still photos - but you would probably need to buy 2 or 3 extra batteries, the controller (if not included) and be content with the limited range of 1.2 miles (using the controller).

Agree if you don't mind the loud noise of the Mavic Air. On the other hand, the Spark is hugely popular and takes awesome still photos - but you would probably need to buy 2 or 3 extra batteries, the controller (if not included) and be content with the limited range of 1.2 miles (using the controller).
True, it is a noisy little bugger!

So going back to the op’s question @Teacherbytes , have you made your mind up regarding what one to take? Loads of help & advice from all so now it’s down to little ol you..;)

A moment ago

I toured CA last yr at this exact time, and took my Spark with me. In all honesty I didn´t miss my MP as I was able to capture some nice footage the entire time, wether on the road (see clip) or in cities. Even at dusk and dawn I guess it was OK for such a small drone in 1080.

And very important, I did that without being bothered or questioned, mostly because the Spark is so small and discrete and non-threatening. No one really cares much, most don´t even see it - and whoever did was nice and curious only.

At the same time it´s quite capable. Also it´s a lot easier to carry even through airports and such. Just make sure to take 4-5 batteries and plan your flights and captures a bit beforehand, that´s what I did anyway and it helps in many ways.

Cheers and best luck let us know how it went!

Alex
@offlimitsbr

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted member 877
My problem with the Spark is that at this point, if money wasn't the driving factor, why wouldn't you just get the Air? Every time I think about picking up a Spark for little jobs...that's what I always come back to...

Pack well.......Take both!!! Then the only decision is which one to fly!!! Much better!!

If you think the weather is a factor (windy) Mavic Pro would be the best choice
..............What is this Spark you speak of.?
..cR

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard