DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 pro - travel with motorcycle

Hedonist222

Reactions
Hello everyone
I posted the below on a Phantom forum. I would like to post it here as well.
While it is not about MP vs P4P. It is more of a which drone for taking on a large motorcycle (photos below).

More than half the time I have my mind made up that I'll get the P4P and make do with the larger size. But then I see a photo of a guy that stuff his MP and controller on his tiny tank bag. You can attach a small (up to 10 liter) tank bag on your tank. I've seen guys stuff their MP in that. I personally would not. I'd put it in one of the side carriers or rear tail bag. But the notion of it being so small then tugs at the decision again. MP or P4P?

Post from other forum:

I realize. I know.
The p4p vs mp has already been covered.
But my scenario is a bit different.

For all other trips, I'll have my car. So the portability factor isn't a must.
I don't travel by train, bus or public transport - where portability is truly a positive factor.
But I regularly take day & weekend trips on my adventure bike.

By now, most of you are saying 'go for the mp'.
But, its a large bike. I won't have a passenger.
I've got side panniers for my luggage. That leaves me with space for a rear top case on the rear rack and an empty passenger seat that I could strap down a hard case or bag with the p4p in it.
Not a huge issue for me personally.
The added features of the p4p make it worth it to me.
I have a phantom 1.5 with a gopro gimbal. I'm very familiar with flying a quad.

My only niggle is when we've stopped along the way, it's not as practical as an mp to hike around with.

Like everyone else, I love how portable the mp is.
And considering the activity I'm asking about, obviously the mp makes more sense.

My major gripe with the mp is the lack of 60 fps at 2k.
I can live without 60 fps at 4k.
But no 60 fps at 2k and poor 60 fps at 1080 is kind of a show stopper.

Please don't think I'm criticizing the mp.
No, I realize it's purpose is different from the p4p.
Like a high end point & shoot vs a dslr. Example to emphasize size not quality.
Each with its pros & cons.

I guess I'm trying to find a way to make the p4p work for me.

I guess this thread is :

Should I really get the p4p or is the mp portability really worth the lack of p4p features & camera quality

And if the p4p, which bag/case?

I could strap down a hard case, but that would mean I couldn't take it along if we went hiking.
I'd like a semi hard bag that's compact. Super compact. A p4p, 3 batteries & the charger.
Preferably a bad with mounting straps or handles along the sides that I could use to strap the bag down.

20170518_170939-01_zpsts522ppl.jpeg

20170512_154650-01_zpsfu7tbo5f.jpeg

Reactions: CyberNate
Mavic Thumbswayup

Are you riding an R1200GS? One of my favorite bikes in the world. Essentially a 1200cc dirt bike.

When considering your choices, dont forget about the Spark. Thats the most portable of all drones and can almost fit in your pocket.

Gorgeous bike! The Mavic is far more compact than a P4, as you know. I rode for many years, many years ago. I have a Phantom 2 and a MP. I don't think that I would travel much with the P2 strapped to a bike, but definitely would with the MP.

Are you riding an R1200GS? One of my favorite bikes in the world. Essentially a 1200cc dirt bike.

When considering your choices, dont forget about the Spark. Thats the most portable of all drones and can almost fit in your pocket.

Yessir. An r1200gs adventure.

The spark is nice but I want better grade camera. Plus the mavic folds away.

At this point, its mavic vs p4p.

I really prefer 60 fps. Something about that buttery smooth motion.

Gorgeous bike! The Mavic is far more compact than a P4, as you know. I rode for many years, many years ago. I have a Phantom 2 and a MP. I don't think that I would travel much with the P2 strapped to a bike, but definitely would with the MP.
Thank you very much.

I won't have a passenger. So I could easily strap a polar pro drone trekker to the rear seat.
Plus I've got 2 aluminum side carriers for luggage. And a rear seat bag that can take a full size helmet.
Space wise, it's not an issue.
Just practicality of a compact drone.

But then I see p4p 4k 60 fps footage...

What kind of computer will you be editing on? 4k 60fps...

Good point.

That's one of the items I'm looking into. If my fairly high end laptop purchased 2 years ago can handle 4k/60fps.
If not, I'll have to give it to my kids & get myself a better laptop.

In the meantime, I'll try to download some 4k/60fps footage to test on my current laptop.

Good job pointing this out. It should be something others in my position, viewing this thread, should consider.

Reactions: Seldomdk
Mavic without any doubt. But you MUST make sure you lock the gimbal with the OEM plastic tab during your rides. It is way to gentle...

beautiful bike , oyibo. Ride in good health.

Ok guys.

I opened up Go Pro studio on my laptop took. I took a sample 691 mb (50 second footage) shot at 4K and 60 fps.

I tried converting it. Nothing converted. Not even 1% for 6 minutes.

And this is only 50 seconds of footage.

Hmmmm looks like I will need some major updating.

Thanks a ton thunderdrones for reminding me.

My laptop isn't that bad for a laptop.

Intel i7 2.5 ghz
geforce gtx 860m dedicated video card
1920x1080 resolution
16 gb ram
64 bit windows 10

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
I guess the main question is how much you value the 4K 60 fps. Personally, I don't shoot anything in 60 fps as I do mainly scenic shots and 24 fps looks much better. It's way more buttery smooth than 60 fps. Unless I intend on doing slow motion in post for action shots, I would never use 60 fps. But that's me. If you do Follow Me on your motorcycle or do a lot of action shots, then I can see how 60 fps could help you. And if 1080/60 isn't sufficient for you, then you might need 4K/60.

IMHO, portability has nothing to do with how big of a vehicle I have or how much room I have in my vehicle. It's about the ease of carrying it. Plus it's more fun flying the Mavic. It's lighter and more nimble. And more stable, especially in the wind. These are all huge pluses for me.

good points , namja.
But for me, a p4p means having a dedicated 50x50x30 (20x15x10) carrying case just for the drone.
Whereas with the MP, i could put it in a soft case and shove it into any of my 4 luggage carriers on my bike. So size really does matter.
In the event that my bike falls during off road, it means one less huge bag (50x50x30 cm is not small) to have to take off to get the bike back up.

But I read that MP 1080p 60fps is not good.
I say I read because I have not yet judged by myself. But I do trust the few reviewers I have heard saying that.

For any situation space is a premium you want the Mavic. Extremely capable and compact. You have to ask yourself, what are you gaining with a larger P4P?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi