DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 pro - travel with motorcycle

I'd have to say Mavic all the way here. Because the difference in quality between the two just isn't that much (based purely on Youtube comparisons, I don't have a phantom)

If we were talking inspire vs mavic, and you really were doing some serious professional filming, that would be more of a dilemma, but mavic va phantom on a motorcycle seems like a no brainer to me.

The nice thing about a Mavic, is that nobody knows you have a quadcopter on you. Most people think its a camera big. With the P4P backpack, everybody knows you have a quadcopter, and you might not be able to get into some places that don't allow quadcopters when they see that big *** backpack on your back. Also, with the Mavic, you can lock it up in your saddle bags while you go walking or eating. With the P4P, you have to take it with you, because you can't lock it up on the bike.

Do you plan to have a night shoot? If yes, P4P...[emoji5]

Not high on priority list. But why not.

For any situation space is a premium you want the Mavic. Extremely capable and compact. You have to ask yourself, what are you gaining with a larger P4P?

2.7k 60 fps
Better quality camera
Better remote control experience

Among other things

The Mavic is very portable as well as a very solid drone. Go for the Mavic.

Unless superior photography/videography is an issue, take the MP. Far less of everything and a little less time to setup. I often bring:
with me in the car and I find that to be a lot! On any motorbike ...

Oh look.. I thread where I can actually respond with some knowledge and experience (not that the opposite ever stopped me before)

I ride a R1200GS (and a KTM 350) offroad around the SW USA and for me the choice is absolutely the Mavic - the carrying capacity of the bike doesn't make much of a difference since the Mavic always stays in my backpack with the exception of smooth fwy runs. I would never subject it to the hard hits and vibration of riding offroad, not even in a padded tankbag, not even with the gimbal clamp (which I keep on all the time). Plus keeping it easily accessible in my backpack allows me to be in the air within 2 minutes of stopping (I keep the remote with an iPhone 5 in my tankbag) which is a key factor when riding in a group. I'm using the cheap separate eBay cases to make packing easier than a single large bag, I can even fit the smaller bags in a dirtbike backpack and get footage of that..

If you want you can check some of my videos on my Youtube Channel .. I would not have any of this footage if I bought a P4P.

There's almost every time a Mavic in my F650 GS's "beauty case" (by this I mean the BMW's top case). Even if I'd have the extra space, I'd not want to fill it up with a Phantom. Motorcycle space is valuable. I would not waste an inch ;)

I bike everywhere in PDX and my Mavic, two spare batteries, and controller all fit in my Ibera bag along with my work clothes (slacks, dress shoes, shirt). The Mavic is fantastic and its portability far outweighs and minor camera upgrades.

I have my pack in my (small) Touratech aluminium topcase. But maybe our new friend here has Goldwing with mini trailer. In that case, S1000 or M600 Pro

Hello everyone
I posted the below on a Phantom forum. I would like to post it here as well.
While it is not about MP vs P4P. It is more of a which drone for taking on a large motorcycle (photos below).

My bike is an '03 R1130R. I keep my Mavic in the Givi trunk. The "fly more" kit with bag is so wonderfully compact it was a no brainer for me to choose the Mavic. When I pack for a long trip, it still comes with. I was about to click the Buy Now button on a P4P when the 'little voice' said to look at DJIs other models. Ever so glad I listened and did. I bought the fly more package and had money left over from what the P4P would have cost me.

Unless you're a serious professional videographer, and as likely to get the Inspire2 as the P4P, you're doing yourself a disservice by not getting the Mavic. You'll always find a way to have it with you to capture moments you might wish you had brought the bigger bird.

Just my $.02, but what a huge $.02 it can be if you don't have it along.

PS. Have a look at rcexplorer.se and see what he's making. His tricopters have made some seriously great videos, gets to use whatever camera he wants, has no NFZ issues forced on his controllers what so ever, and the DIY community (diydronesdotcom) is doing a pretty decent job keeping up with and sometimes leading the big guns. The Tri's fold up compact too. He makes parts kits available and parts you can build yourself or buy from HobbyKing etc. If you're serious about video limitations, maybe this is the path you might choose to look into. Taylor made vs off the rack so to speak. I'm half way through my tricopter build and thanks to an unusually high tax return, was able to purchase the Mavic. I'm still going to finish the Tri, just have the time now to do it right, when it's rainy or windy. Have fun!

Last edited:
I just got my Mavic a few weeks ago and trying to find the best way to bring it along. I'm riding a Honda Gold Wing so space is not as critical as some. I do want to make sure the gimbal is not jarred too much though. Anyone have the measurements of the Fly More bag handy?
script>

I have a MP and a P4P and certainly the MP is a lot easier to carry on a bike. I took my MP with me on a trip from FL up through the Smoky's a few weeks ago. It was my wive and I, and we were packing for 10 days. Everything for the MP fit in a small DSLR bag. I didn't get to fly as much as I wanted to as I ran into a lot of wet weather.

I have a VStrom DL650 and chose the Mavic. I have been riding with cameras for many many moons. Bikes are a harsh environment. I've actually had a couple of Canons needing repair for vibration induced issues. This is in a ThinkTank bag in a Givi topcase.
The P4P is too big for any topcase I'm aware AND allow sufficient padding to prevent it from being rattled to death. Possibly one of the molded hardcases and adapt it to the rear carrier rack.
Just something to consider.

Hello everyone
I posted the below on a Phantom forum. I would like to post it here as well.
While it is not about MP vs P4P. It is more of a which drone for taking on a large motorcycle (photos below).

More than half the time I have my mind made up that I'll get the P4P and make do with the larger size. But then I see a photo of a guy that stuff his MP and controller on his tiny tank bag. You can attach a small (up to 10 liter) tank bag on your tank. I've seen guys stuff their MP in that. I personally would not. I'd put it in one of the side carriers or rear tail bag. But the notion of it being so small then tugs at the decision again. MP or P4P?

Post from other forum:

I realize. I know.
The p4p vs mp has already been covered.
But my scenario is a bit different.

For all other trips, I'll have my car. So the portability factor isn't a must.
I don't travel by train, bus or public transport - where portability is truly a positive factor.
But I regularly take day & weekend trips on my adventure bike.

By now, most of you are saying 'go for the mp'.
But, its a large bike. I won't have a passenger.
I've got side panniers for my luggage. That leaves me with space for a rear top case on the rear rack and an empty passenger seat that I could strap down a hard case or bag with the p4p in it.
Not a huge issue for me personally.
The added features of the p4p make it worth it to me.
I have a phantom 1.5 with a gopro gimbal. I'm very familiar with flying a quad.

My only niggle is when we've stopped along the way, it's not as practical as an mp to hike around with.

Like everyone else, I love how portable the mp is.
And considering the activity I'm asking about, obviously the mp makes more sense.

My major gripe with the mp is the lack of 60 fps at 2k.
I can live without 60 fps at 4k.
But no 60 fps at 2k and poor 60 fps at 1080 is kind of a show stopper.

Please don't think I'm criticizing the mp.
No, I realize it's purpose is different from the p4p.
Like a high end point & shoot vs a dslr. Example to emphasize size not quality.
Each with its pros & cons.

I guess I'm trying to find a way to make the p4p work for me.

I guess this thread is :

Should I really get the p4p or is the mp portability really worth the lack of p4p features & camera quality

And if the p4p, which bag/case?

I could strap down a hard case, but that would mean I couldn't take it along if we went hiking.
I'd like a semi hard bag that's compact. Super compact. A p4p, 3 batteries & the charger.
Preferably a bad with mounting straps or handles along the sides that I could use to strap the bag down.

20170518_170939-01_zpsts522ppl.jpeg

20170512_154650-01_zpsfu7tbo5f.jpeg

Been ridin moto dirt/street 40+yrs dig the mav by far over the phantom for several reasons, latest is the slick handle I got that lets me use it as a reg video

2936fba334ed33b27bcb53688a9b93d2.jpg

I ride my bike daily, granted its a Victory so different than yours but you actually have me storage. I take my Mavic everywhere. No it doesn't have 2k@120 fps but I'm not shooting coser than 100ft from my subjects either so I can do a lot more in post and so look flawless. Just my opinion

Wouldn't even consider the p4 over the magic for that reason. Besides it's not the camera but who's behind it right?!?!?!

Thanks everyone

Since riding season isn't till mid October, I'll either wait for a price drop or the mavic pro 2.

Oh look.. I thread where I can actually respond with some knowledge and experience (not that the opposite ever stopped me before)

I ride a R1200GS (and a KTM 350) offroad around the SW USA and for me the choice is absolutely the Mavic - the carrying capacity of the bike doesn't make much of a difference since the Mavic always stays in my backpack with the exception of smooth fwy runs. I would never subject it to the hard hits and vibration of riding offroad, not even in a padded tankbag, not even with the gimbal clamp (which I keep on all the time). Plus keeping it easily accessible in my backpack allows me to be in the air within 2 minutes of stopping (I keep the remote with an iPhone 5 in my tankbag) which is a key factor when riding in a group. I'm using the cheap separate eBay cases to make packing easier than a single large bag, I can even fit the smaller bags in a dirtbike backpack and get footage of that..

If you want you can check some of my videos on my Youtube Channel .. I would not have any of this footage if I bought a P4P.

Lonely footage.

How do you stow your mp?

There's almost every time a Mavic in my F650 GS's "beauty case" (by this I mean the BMW's top case). Even if I'd have the extra space, I'd not want to fill it up with a Phantom. Motorcycle space is valuable. I would not waste an inch ;)

Definitely.
I was thinking of attaching the p4p case to the rear seat.

My bike is an '03 R1130R. I keep my Mavic in the Givi trunk. The "fly more" kit with bag is so wonderfully compact it was a no brainer for me to choose the Mavic. When I pack for a long trip, it still comes with. I was about to click the Buy Now button on a P4P when the 'little voice' said to look at DJIs other models. Ever so glad I listened and did. I bought the fly more package and had money left over from what the P4P would have cost me.

Unless you're a serious professional videographer, and as likely to get the Inspire2 as the P4P, you're doing yourself a disservice by not getting the Mavic. You'll always find a way to have it with you to capture moments you might wish you had brought the bigger bird.

Just my $.02, but what a huge $.02 it can be if you don't have it along.

PS. Have a look at rcexplorer.se and see what he's making. His tricopters have made some seriously great videos, gets to use whatever camera he wants, has no NFZ issues forced on his controllers what so ever, and the DIY community (diydronesdotcom) is doing a pretty decent job keeping up with and sometimes leading the big guns. The Tri's fold up compact too. He makes parts kits available and parts you can build yourself or buy from HobbyKing etc. If you're serious about video limitations, maybe this is the path you might choose to look into. Taylor made vs off the rack so to speak. I'm half way through my tricopter build and thanks to an unusually high tax return, was able to purchase the Mavic. I'm still going to finish the Tri, just have the time now to do it right, when it's rainy or windy. Have fun!

Thanks for the insight.
You and others are right. A drone that makes me think twice about taking with me is not the right drone.

I have a VStrom DL650 and chose the Mavic. I have been riding with cameras for many many moons. Bikes are a harsh environment. I've actually had a couple of Canons needing repair for vibration induced issues. This is in a ThinkTank bag in a Givi topcase.
The P4P is too big for any topcase I'm aware AND allow sufficient padding to prevent it from being rattled to death. Possibly one of the molded hardcases and adapt it to the rear carrier rack.
Just something to consider.

How do you stow it?

Been ridin moto dirt/street 40+yrs dig the mav by far over the phantom for several reasons, latest is the slick handle I got that lets me use it as a reg video

2936fba334ed33b27bcb53688a9b93d2.jpg

That's a really useful gizmo. No need for a separate gimbal.

What about ........... The Spark ?
Haven't got one, I ride m bikes extensively but afraid of transmitted vibrations on trips so would need to carry MP in backpack.

Spark doesn't fold down and store as easily as the mp.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190