DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro with Autopilot 3.8

LakeTravis

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new version of Autopilot 3.8 for iOS now that it supports the Mavic Pro? Like some others have mentioned, for cinematic quality and smoothness, I used it extensively with my Phantom 3 Pro. Anyone try it yet with the Mavic?

Last edited:
Hey no problem I thought it might be just for iPhones once I couldn't find it
I've been reviewing "flight school" with Autopilot, but the weather has been crappy, either really windy or rainy, and even a few sub-32 degree days. As soon as things improve, I'll be giving it a try with the Mavic and will report, possible post some comparisons of videos with Autopilot vs. DJI Go 4.

I've just started using AutoPilot with my Mavic. So far the modes work well but tapping on the screen to focus doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something?

I've just started using AutoPilot with my Mavic. So far the modes work well but tapping on the screen to focus doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something?
I just started using it myself so still kinda green myself, but I read somewhere that you have to launch with DJI go, set all camera settings including focus, then quit out of DJI go and launch Autopilot. Kind of a pain, but it does work. Hopefully an update will fix this issue.

Reactions: Pedrosi and Miguel
I had the same problem with focus, fortunately I was just practicing and beta testing, so I can't really complain.

Are you guys using the beta version, by chance?

I do think Autopilot flies well.

Yeah it works great and gives really good results although it's not the most intuitive. I'm using Version 3.8
Here is the response from Autopilot about focusing the Mavic

"To access the Mavic's camera settings the camera must be connected. Once connected you will see three lines next to the start-stop record button. Clicking that will open the camera settings. The Lens Focus Mode will be at the very end of the camera settings. Please set this to Auto. After you have changed this to Auto, you will be able to long press the screen while in Autopilot to focus on an area or subject."

I beta tested the Mavic Pro support, and can confirm it works great. Same great flight control as with the P3 Pro. Remember if you get in to trouble switch to sports mode or hit disengage if the app is still responsive.

Reactions: pjnashville
Been experimenting with Version 3.8 and having trouble getting Follow to work reliably using Course, Front with Focus Strategy on Subject, Leader. It tries to follow but doesn't always act like it knows where I am. Not sure if the GPS signal is weak on my iPhone causing it, or if I am just moving too slow (I was running). But it seems like a GPS issue to me. If Miguel or sdharris has any advice to help get better results, please let me know what to try.

Autoflight Logic leans towards the more smoother more cinematic style of flight hence the settings around accuracy and responsiveness and I have seen it meander slightly when tracking slow moving objects.

You could test that by setting a zipline along your running route and having it focus on the operator. If it keeps you in frame when shooting up and down the zipline then your GPS is good.

I have to admit for slow follows I tend to use a zipline or a waypoint mission rather than the follow function.

Reactions: pjnashville
Autoflight Logic leans towards the more smoother more cinematic style of flight hence the settings around accuracy and responsiveness and I have seen it meander slightly when tracking slow moving objects.

You could test that by setting a zipline along your running route and having it focus on the operator. If it keeps you in frame when shooting up and down the zipline then your GPS is good.

I have to admit for slow follows I tend to use a zipline or a waypoint mission rather than the follow function.
sdharris, thank you for your comments. I tried Follow again yesterday with much better success, but I will do some experimenting with Zipline, per your suggestion, and see if that will work for some of my situations.

does zipline and waypoint work with a moving subject that is changing directions, making turns etc? I thought it was more from point A to Point B and follow will actually follow your movements? thanks

zipline will move the craft from A to B, and waypoint will move the craft along your waypoints but you can have it focus on the operator so that it'll point the camera at you while moving.

I am green to this too. Just started testing it. I tried the focus mode first but it did not keep the camera on me (operator). In the manual is states that drones "like the P3 that do not 360 degree yaw control or where it is not possible for the app to control the yaw access while the operator control other (pitch and roll) will not work and to try the Cruise mode". I am assuming this must hold true for the MP as well. Do others concur?

I am green to this too. Just started testing it. I tried the focus mode first but it did not keep the camera on me (operator). In the manual is states that drones "like the P3 that do not 360 degree yaw control or where it is not possible for the app to control the yaw access while the operator control other (pitch and roll) will not work and to try the Cruise mode". I am assuming this must hold true for the MP as well. Do others concur?

In full computer/app controled modes (they're listed in the flight manual) it will yaw the aircraft to keep the subject whether its the operator or a POI in frame. You'll need to give more information regarding your problem such as the mode, and all important with Autopilot is confirm you have GPS in your mobile or tablet that you are using it with.

As I had mentioned, I was in "Cruise" mode. It was a little windy that day. The aircraft would not hold a hover position when using AP but did when using DJI App. I have since flown again on a day that was calm and still notice some drifting.

As I had mentioned, I was in "Cruise" mode. It was a little windy that day. The aircraft would not hold a hover position when using AP but did when using DJI App. I have since flown again on a day that was calm and still notice some drifting.

According to hangars support site they had to let go of GPS hold in cruise mode for some technical reasons.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett