DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro2 Falls from Sky

agreed but for a guy who states hes flown all the dji drones etc .. starting a brand new mavic 2 at 48% battery should know way way better .. definitely hope he gets it sorted or an answer but when he stated { This is my 4th Dji drone I owned the one I hoped to replace the others now Just bummed.} worried me as anyone with that much knowledge of drones and how they work should know .. and if you look at the map he flew a nice little distance .. look I hope he gets answers but would you fly it at 48% ?
Yep I fly it at 48% when switching locations sometimes. You can do alot until failsafe kicks in. When I'm on jobs if I finish fly one spot and battery still had juice. I'll use it to finish up something quick and put it away. Lol even 5% battery shouldn't allow the drone to crash. Either it'll land itself or Don t take off. So if it fall out the sky because dude fly at 48% battery then something wrong with that drone for sure. Even my toy grades fly for a few mins on 48% battery.

Reactions: Dragonfly
Hi, I‘m also not seeing the point of going airborne at 48% bat. Only thing is a shorter flighttime. Or is there any other thing we should know when taking off with half charged bat.

Send to DJI for analysis and if the black box data says the drone malfunctioned you get a new one. simple.

What's CSC stand for? Is that the emergency shut down on the sticks?

Those of us that work in systems engineering usually refer events like this to a system failure. It could be hw or sw or electronic component failure, it isn’t clear yet. These drones are very complex systems, and getting to root cause can be very difficult. Bear in mind that it is the software system that produces the logs, and it sounds as if the sw system stopped functioning properly before the main event. If the electronic system has a problem, the software system relays on it to produce results.

Now I'm wondering if I should have waited to get one in about 3 months

There is always a concern being an early innovator, most of us understand the exposure and the possible rewards. I am old enough to understand the exposure and accept "things" that are not going to be a problem to those that buy a year from now. So far, so good (knock on wood ;) ). No overheating (cooler on landing than my MPP) or any of the things that have been brought up.
Stages of adoption.
My only real concern is that CSC is enabled at purchase. Not quite sure why but someone will find out where the switch is and post it. Guessing it is the same hack as enabling it in the MP series but just in reverse.

Notice it switched to the backup IMU toward the end of the flight. A bit later it reported (in red) Total Navigation System Switch.

Total IMU failure could cause something like this.

Sorry for your rotten luck!

Only DJI can determine if they’ll cover it. Sharing with us only helps educate the community of potential issues and failures.

Knowing proactively what you can argue to disagree with their interpretation makes sense to me.

In the "old days" we always conditioned a new lipo for around 6 flights by not going below 3.95 volts per cell (what we called 50% back then) and recharging back to full. We built up faith in the battery. Now you all expect them to perform flawlessly right out of the box. My bet is a battery issue caused this crash. Hope you get everything sorted out! Lipos should not be taken down below 3.7 volts per cell for maximum life. 4.2v to 3.7v per cell is the range I use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1
Yep I fly it at 48% when switching locations sometimes. You can do alot until failsafe kicks in. When I'm on jobs if I finish fly one spot and battery still had juice. I'll use it to finish up something quick and put it away. Lol even 5% battery shouldn't allow the drone to crash. Either it'll land itself or Don t take off. So if it fall out the sky because dude fly at 48% battery then something wrong with that drone for sure. Even my toy grades fly for a few mins on 48% battery.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking your drone up with 48% battery life! Because if that were the case then all you people who think it's so bad should start landing your drones immediately when you get to 48%--same thing; If you only need a couple of minutes to do something and you are close to the job---there is absolutely nothing wrong with it--oh----I said that already!

Reactions: Dragonfly
No, never have started out if it’s less than 80%, unless for simple testing for only a minute or two.

I have a Spark, not a Mavic (yet), and I frequently take multiple flights per battery, yesterday I took off with 38% battery, managed to get some nice video at a Rugby game at the park, flying above the players (with their permission) and land with 20% battery.

If I had a Mavic, 48% battery is roughly the equivalent of a full Spark battery, why on earth wouldn't you take off?

I think they are still trying to figure out the optimum configuration. The P4 has twin IMUs and twin compasses, the MP has one IMU and twin compasses, the MA has twin IMUs and one compass (plus a vision compass that remains somewhat mysterious) and the M2 has the same as the MA. I suspect that IMU failure is more common than compass failure (it's generally interference that messes up the compass) and with twin compasses it seemed that the FC never knew which to trust anyway.
True. They need three imu/compass. Error correction(3) verses error detection(2).

My First time posting on this forum but I need to know what Happened. I did a small fight from my house had the drone in sight when two warnings popped up and the drone dropped like a rock onto the road. I know pilot error is most of crashes but I did nothing wrong that I can see. You tell Me. The link is enclosed.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

After looking at other post is over heating the cause?

Same Issue with Mavic pro zoom

Thread here - Mavic 2 falling from the sky - Complete failure

My First time posting on this forum but I need to know what Happened. I did a small fight from my house had the drone in sight when two warnings popped up and the drone dropped like a rock onto the road. I know pilot error is most of crashes but I did nothing wrong that I can see. You tell Me. The link is enclosed.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

After looking at other post is over heating the cause?

Was this the first flight ever for Mavic 2 right out of box?
Could it be the related to battery activation? As DJI states that you have to charge the battery to activate it

Hey JP! I'm right down the street from you in the North End.

The log viewer gives plenty of data to diagnose this (SAR104's graphs are definitely prettier though!). There's an obvious cascading failure which is happening early in flight and gradually ends in loss of the article. I did download the larger CSV and go into some more detail

1m 33s: Switched to Backup IMU I'd definitely go straight down at the first sign of unreliability of the craft, and just fly around at 5' for a few batteries to see if the issue was just an intermittent issue or what - a crash from 100'+ can be pretty dangerous in terms of damage to person/property. Just from having made a very expensive mistake there before.
1m 34.4s: Navigation System Redundancy Switch
1m 42.4s: Obstacle Sensing Range Narrowed. Fly with caution. This basically means some obstacle avoidance sensors went out
1m 50.7s: Switched to Backup IMU . Too late, this means the backup IMU is believed to have failed as well
1m 52.4s: Navigation System Redundancy Switch Switching back to the one that it believes to have failed
It actually does OK for quite a while here, which is kind of impressive

5m 46.4s: Navigation System Redundancy Switch It's disoriented and tries to guess which computer is right, and guesses wrong.
5m 48.7s: Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit Electrical failures now cascade through the craft, drawing extra current from the battery, as seen from the battery voltage drop. The gimbal believes that the craft is pitching, which the telemetry from the nav board disagrees with.

Here, signal is lost and the craft drops.

You can go into more detail from the DAT, but the indications above are clear enough that there's a lot going haywire with the craft switching back and forth between known bad IMU, nav system, and having the obstacle sensors encountering issues. Sadly, it looks like you only got something like 55 minutes of flight time out of your drone before it went bad - but that's very much within the time I'd expect a manufacturing issue to rear itself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078