DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic question regarding ND filters.

atx353

Reactions
Hey all,

Have read a plethora of information on ND filters and would love some input/affirmation:

1. From what I've read, the ND filter goes on before powering on the drone correct?

2. So the weight is important: I've read that Polar Pro had (s?) some issues with weight, is the general consensus now that Polar Pro is good to go with and the Drone won't have any issues with the gimbal? My concern is the possible damage to the gimbal due to extra weight?

3. Would anyone recommend DJI's ND filters over Polar Pro?

Thank you in advance!

the ND filter goes on before powering on the drone correct?
That's usually best so you don't put any unnecessary stress on the gimbal.

I've read that Polar Pro had (s?) some issues with weight
Got a link?

Would anyone recommend DJI's ND filters over Polar Pro?
Both brands will do the job. Some benefits of choosing PolarPro is they have more filters available and they offer a lifetime warranty.

The other brands listed here are also worth considering.

That's usually best so you don't put any unnecessary stress on the gimbal.

Got a link?

Both brands will do the job. Some benefits of choosing PolarPro is they have more filters available and they offer a lifetime warranty.

The other brands listed here are also worth considering.

Thank you for the response @msinger !

Couple questions:

1. I was under the impression that any stress or pressure on the gimbal could damage it, but is movement of the gimbal while its powered off not an issue, and damage only occurs if there is pressure or stress while the gimbal is on? This would make sense since from the videos I've seen some manipulation of the gimbal is required for install.

2. This is the thread I was talking about: Mavic Pro gimbal with Polar Pro filter problem.

3. I had a chance to handle the Polar Pro at best buy, it seems like it's a little heavier than the OEM glass cover thats on the Pro 2, guessing this is not an issue?

Thanks again!

The weight of the Polar Pro filters is a non-issue, at least for the Mavic 2 Pro. On my little electronic scale, the stock and PP filters weigh the same at 2 grams or .1 oz. It's not the most accurate scale ever but I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. I have both ND and polarizer filters from them. I've used them on at least 140 flights. If they are heavier, I've never noticed it and it's never caused a problem. The quality of the filters is good. I've never had colour cast issues or anything from them.

As for when to put them on, definitely with the drone powered off. Polar pro has an app that helps you choose the best ND filter for the situation but after you've done it a time or two, you can usually get close by guessing. I'm not above powering the drone on with the filter I think is right, then picking it up and pointing the camera at different subjects to make sure. It's not a big deal to power off, change filters and then take off. That's better than flying off, realizing that you got it wrong and having to come back for a change. Cheers.

Hey all,

Have read a plethora of information on ND filters and would love some input/affirmation:

1. From what I've read, the ND filter goes on before powering on the drone correct?

2. So the weight is important: I've read that Polar Pro had (s?) some issues with weight, is the general consensus now that Polar Pro is good to go with and the Drone won't have any issues with the gimbal? My concern is the possible damage to the gimbal due to extra weight?

3. Would anyone recommend DJI's ND filters over Polar Pro?

Thank you in advance!
1. Yes
2. I have used PolarPro filters on my three drones, including M2P for over 6 months and have no issues with them or drone/gimbal performance. They are one of the best, if only the best IMHO.
3. No. The PP cost more, but I use them on my drone and GoPro exclusively due to their performance and quality. I have NP and polarized 4,8,16, 32, and 64.

Reactions: atx353
@Thomas B, @msinger, and @Corthan thank you all. I will let my worries rest. @msinger you are correct I have the Pro 2; I must have misread the thread. Thanks for sharing your link I will check it out.

Is a re-calibration of the gimbal recommended each time changing filters?

Since y'all are much more knowledgeable than I am, are there any other accessories you'd recommend off the bat?

Thank you

@Thomas B, @msinger, and @Corthan thank you all. I will let my worries rest. @msinger you are correct I have the Pro 2; I must have misread the thread. Thanks for sharing your link I will check it out.

Since y'all are much more knowledgeable than I am, are there any other accessories you'd recommend off the bat?

Thank you
No, recalibration of the gimbal or any other part of your M2 is NOT required when changing. I frequently use oem and 2-3 of the others in a single day. I use manual photo settings... trying to shutter at 1/25-1/30, with an F stop to keep the rest between -0.3 and +0.3

Never had issues with any of the filters I use (PolarPro are one set I have), so wouldn't worry there. As for putting them on, I always do it with drone powered off, just make sure you hold it firmly and don't put too much force on it, common sense stuff really.

If you DO realize that you were just putting the filter on the lens when the craft was powered up, don't sweat it -- it probably do not do any damage if you were careful (which you should be either way). It's just a good idea to do it powered down.

There was a thread not too long ago where someone did a poll: "For those that have powered up your AC without taking the gimbal guard off, did it cause damage?" (or something to that effect). What I got from that thread is a) we've mostly all done that and b) nobody reported damage. This isn't the same thing as putting on filters, but I think restricting the gimbal during the power-up calibration sequence is in the same ball-park.

Chris

Offtopic question for y'all @Thomas B , @Corthan , @msinger , @charlas , and @Not A Speck Of Cereal: is it normal for the gimbal to kind of tilt and turn from center when powering off?

I've noticed that a friends Mavic Pro gimbal stays straight when powered off. Mine tilts to the left and down during power off.

Yeah mine does it too, nothing to worry about, the Air doesn't. Think it's just a balance thing

Yeah, I'm just glad that it doesn't tilt when powered on (knock on wood), which was a frequent / perpetual problem for me on the phantom models.

Just a bit of FYI..Moment also makes NDFilters for the MavicPro2 they have a kickstarter going as well with an anamorphic (cinematic) lens as well...you can bundle them through the kickstarter for a decent price.

Just a bit of FYI..Moment also makes NDFilters for the MavicPro2 they have a kickstarter going as well with an anamorphic (cinematic) lens as well...you can bundle them through the kickstarter for a decent price.

And a kick-starter commercial endorsement is the very-first post from your brand-new account? Not suspicious at all.

And a kick-starter commercial endorsement is the very-first post from your brand-new account? Not suspicious at all.

I’m not advertising just simply passing on info to people. The thread was about filters and that company makes filters. All I see is one brand I figured I’d throw another option out there versus the usual.

I've noticed that a friends Mavic Pro gimbal stays straight when powered off. Mine tilts to the left and down during power off.
Nothing to worry about there.

Thank you
No recalibration of gimbal ever needed by me at time of filter change. If you’re using manual settings on video, which allow you to do more with the filters, try to keep the EV at -0.5 to +0.5. And the ISO as near 100 as possible.

Thanks y'all for the tips and input. Good to know. Took the drone out and got some great shots. Question, when the drone is off, any issues with accidentally turning the motors when removing or installing the props?

when the drone is off, any issues with accidentally turning the motors when removing or installing the props?
That's okay to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi