DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic RAW files in Apple Photos

BeachDuc

Reactions
Hi there, I've just got myself a Mavic and was wondering if anybody knew much about the RAW file format? I use Apple's Photos app and used to be able to import and edit the RAW files from my old Phantom 3 Advanced. For some reason the DNG files from the Magic aren't recognised. Am I doing something wrong or is this just an unsupported format in Photos? Thanks

DNG is supposed to be a universal form of RAW rather than something you might need special latest software such as Canon CR2 etc.
But I'm still not surprised Apple decided they must be a threat and you aren't allowed to see them.

RAW images comes straight from the sensor. I am not surprised that they wont work with all applications. Just have a look at all Adobe RAW converter updates that need to be updated every month to make it compatible with every new camera model. For archiving I would use jpg or tiff. You never know when your special raw file cant be opened no more.
I use raw with the mavic, but I always do a touch up first with Adobe Lightroom and then sends them to Photos.app.
Btw, Photos.app handles Mavic raw files without problems. Which Mac OS are you using?
Make sure you use the latest Sierra.

Reactions: drrjv
The whole point of DNG is to remove those incompatibility issues by having the format common to everyone who uses it.
but yeah DJI occasionally have some issues getting this right.

Btw, Photos.app handles Mavic raw files without problems. Which Mac OS are you using?
Make sure you use the latest Sierra.

I'm using Sierra 10.12.4 and Photos 2.0. Everything is up to date. Maybe pushing it via Lightroom is why it works for you?

OK. I just downloaded a sample Magic DNG file I found on the internet and it loaded into Photos just fine. Which begs the question, what am I doing wrong with my own photos?

So, it appears my DNG files are stripped of GPS data, as well as ItemColorProfile and ItemBitsPerSample data. No idea why, nor how to fix it.

Dropbox link: Dropbox - Photos Test

Latest firmware and app version (firmware xx.xx.0600, software 4.0.8).

Please have a look and give me any ideas you have. I'm waiting for DJI to do the same.

In Mac OS my friends DNG files have the ColorProfile and BitsPerSample fields (Cmd I). Mine don't. Other EXIF is there and I can convert my files into something usable. I'm thinking that there is some sort of profile issue that some software (ie Apple) is more fussy about than others.

About a month ago I had to send my Mavic in because a firmware upgrade caused the gimbal to fail the calibration test. It took a month but I have it back and two things have changed: 1. I used to be able to import the RAW files into Photos on the Mac and then send them in that format to Photoshop. Since returning, the Mac no longer recognizes the RAW or DNG file. I can open the DNG just fine in Photoshop but this makes for a much longer workflow. The other issue is that much of my iPhone screen turns red. I think this is to show what is in focus. It is of limited use, very distracting, and I can not figure out how to turn this "feature" off.

Mine is on the way back, so I'll see if the issue persists. I think the red is showing over-exposed areas, so there should be a setting to turn that off. Without a camera I can't experiment for you.

I think overexposed gives zebra stripes. I know where to turn that on and off. I think the red shows what's in focus. But I can't figure out where to turn it off.

There is no color profile with RAW, you apply that in post. And Apple Photos works fine with DNG

Reactions: Mavman
The ability to use RAW files is built into the Apple OS. Same goes for DNG files. DNG are supposed to be generic but evidently not. My Mavic DNG files were opened with no problem on my Mac before I sent the Mavic in for repair. When it came back (a month later) the Mac could no longer open the DNG files. Photoshop and Lightroom open them just fine. It is unlikely that Apple took away DNG resolution so it must be something in a DJI firmware update. Any ideas?

Reactions: Mavman
so it must be something in a DJI firmware update. Any ideas?

Personally I don't think it is a software nor a firmware issue. I tried all of the last three firmware versions (not .700 - as my Mavic was with DJI when that was released) and all had the same issue. My theory is that later batches of Mavics use a different version of the camera (or they just had a bad batch). This is partly bourn out by the fact that DJI told me that they tested a few other Mavics in their workshop and that none of them produced DNG files which worked natively on the Mac. They used this as an excuse to tell me the problem was with Apple, not them, but the fact that yours (and many others) worked makes this unlikely.

My replacement is due sometime today. If it arrives, before I head to work, I'll see how it fares with this issue

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev