DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Remote: How did they do it? :-)

It would be nice if the low battery alarm had something like a 'sleep' function like an alarm clock. It could have an on-screen slider to acknowledge the low battery and the alarm could go off again after the battery is depleted another, say, 10%. I did my first flights the other day and, even after the first flight, which was done in beginner mode, I limited the distance to 40 m, so I was very close. The battery alarm went off at 30%, which was completely unnecessary when flying so close. I ended up just changing the low battery notification to 20%, but that's really not ideal.

Reactions: Brojon
Go to bed grampa and take your anti grumpy pills when you wake up to save us all..
A - that was pretty lame, you should take more time to come up with a good comeback to be effective.
B - You should get checked out. Life is *so* much better when you're nice to people - maybe you just can't help it.

It would be nice if the low battery alarm had something like a 'sleep' function like an alarm clock. It could have an on-screen slider to acknowledge the low battery and the alarm could go off again after the battery is depleted another, say, 10%. I did my first flights the other day and, even after the first flight, which was done in beginner mode, I limited the distance to 40 m, so I was very close. The battery alarm went off at 30%, which was completely unnecessary when flying so close. I ended up just changing the low battery notification to 20%, but that's really not ideal.
It's not a matter of necessity - you set the level at which it informs you. But yes, it should have an acknowledgement of some kind.

I came here to see what makes the Mavic remote so much more compact and the range better compared to he phantom stock.

Is it really just occusync? The FCC regulates pretty strictly how powerful the transmitter can be. I would love an expert to explain more how it works.

Thanks

From what I've read elsewhere, within the 2.4 or 5.8Ghz frequency bandpass:
1) the 20 MHz mode (having 63 channels, from Channel 1 @ 2,410.5MHz to Channel 63 @ 2,472.5MHz, i.e. with 1MHz channel separation),
2) the 10MHz mode (having 73 channels, from Channel 1 @ 2,405.5MHz to Channel 73 @ 2,477.5MHz, i.e. with 1MHz channel separation), &
3) the 1.4MHz mode (having 38 channels, from Channel 1 @ 2,403.5MHz to Channel 38 @ 2,477.5MHz, i.e. with 2MHz channel separation).

A big part of the secret sauce is in the Occusync's ability to dynamically pick the *best* of 3 signal frequency bands at -100dBm to -110). With tri-band discrimination/selection, the Mavic boasts very low latency over longer ranges than traditional frequency modalities, with bandwidth throughput up to 40Mbps:
- 5 ms for remote controller transmission commands
- 10ms for video data
- 130ms for videos

Of course the boost in EIRP doesn't hurt either, 400mW in FCC mode (26dBm) on the FC/RC, ditto on the Mavic in the 2.4Ghz band or 23dBm if 5.8Ghz. However, our European brothers operating in CE mode operate at 20dBm power. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

If you have a Ham radio license you can use 1.5w mode compared to 0.4w for America (FCC) or 0.09w the rest of the world (ce)
I was looking for a cooling mod for the RC but haven't found any

The fan kicks in, in the UK where its cold and lowest power
In America some people have had overtemp warnings running FCC power
very few reports of people using high power but the ones I've seen have reported overtemp quite quick so if its to be used (by people with a license) then cooling requires improvement

Does the phantom RC work with a mavic then?

LOL - I have never heard anything like a fan kick on and teh Texas heat has been pretty oppressive of late.
Several folks have shown the guts when doing an antenna mod - I don't recall a fan being shown.

In fact I went and found this sort of funny teardown where the guy was trying to lower the volume of teh meeper. There IS a fan!

Bronjon,
The fan is
LOL - I have never heard anything like a fan kick on and teh Texas heat has been pretty oppressive of late.
Several folks have shown the guts when doing an antenna mod - I don't recall a fan being shown.

In fact I went and found this sort of funny teardown where the guy was trying to lower the volume of teh meeper. There IS a fan!

Bronjon,
The fan is the white square on the right side of the case starting at 6:00 in the video.

Other than the mechanics of the gimbals and mechanical buttons, there's no reason for a TX to be any larger than a cell phone. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for these components, it could likely be much smaller. There's also the obvious practicality of creating a device comfortable and large enough to hold while still encompassing the mechanical components necessary to make it practical for everyday use.

Transmission distances have very little if anything to do with the size of the cases anymore. Look at the cell phone in your pocket. Can you see the nearest tower? Always? There ya go. ;)

Why is the Phantom controller so large? Probably because that's the way they have always been and it was not a boat DJI was willing to rock in the RC marketplace, at least until it had established itself enough to do so.

I, for one, will be surprised if the Mavic doesn't become the new standard bearer for RC TXs, at least in the multi-blade market. Time will tell.

Reactions: Dronewerkz
Bronjon,
The fan is

Bronjon,
The fan is the white square on the right side of the case starting at 6:00 in the video.
"In fact I went and found this sort of funny teardown where the guy was trying to lower the volume of teh meeper. There IS a fan!"
Hard to see how you missed this statement when you quoted it.

Other than the mechanics of the gimbals and mechanical buttons, there's no reason for a TX to be any larger than a cell phone. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for these components, it could likely be much smaller.
The issue is power. To get the range requires power. Components that can handle and deliver the power are physically larger. This includes the power control circuitry as well as the radio transmitting components as well as the heat dissipating components.
If there weren't cell towers almost within eyesight of each other your cell phone wouldn't be able to much of anything either since it doesn't have the power to go very far.

d8300839c03b65724ff0170645aba9b5.jpg

I'm a fan of the coolness of this controller and the quirkiness of the guy that made the video but not so much the silly biaatch biting going on despite some of it being funny.... Come on kids we all have a cool common interest embrace it.

Reactions: Brojon
He was actually pretty funny IMHO - I appreciated how the attitude going in was "this won't take long..." and then the steady progression down the rabbit hole. We've all been there if we take stuff apart. :D

Reactions: Dronewerkz
Other than the mechanics of the gimbals and mechanical buttons, there's no reason for a TX to be any larger than a cell phone. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for these components, it could likely be much smaller. There's also the obvious practicality of creating a device comfortable and large enough to hold while still encompassing the mechanical components necessary to make it practical for everyday use.

Transmission distances have very little if anything to do with the size of the cases anymore. Look at the cell phone in your pocket. Can you see the nearest tower? Always? There ya go. ;) <clip>

Yes and maybe not to much. The EIRP on a mobile device like the iPhone runs in the vicinity of 9-14 dBm. That's why when I'm in a marginal or "no bars" area with my RV, I use a WEBoost retransmitter with an antenna on the roof. Mobile phones have lots of things going on under the roof, balancing the signal needs with power consumption. Even more so, the FCC gave cellular companies the beloved 700 Mhz C Band to them for EDGE/4G, which has a much longer transmission path distance than the traditional microwave frequencies.
Power Matching: Transmit Power, or EIRP?

But I do agree with your assessment that we're no longer in the days of magnetrons, klystrons and travelling wave tubes for carrier frequencies.

If you have a Ham radio license you can use 1.5w mode compared to 0.4w for America (FCC) or 0.09w the rest of the world (ce)
I was looking for a cooling mod for the RC but haven't found any
I have a Ham License. Where do I opt for 1.5w?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov