DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic South Africa

Stay out the house and in beginners mode. No trees. No ocean. Use one battery to 30% and stop. Go back in the house read the manual.

And when you first start experimenting with the smart functions, remember there is a PAUSE button!
First time I used active track the horse got a fright, there where power lines nearby and I was trying to press and slide the button in the app...
tapping the button on remote so much quicker!

My drone is no more... Ended up in the bottom of the CR Swart dam in Benoni... Hmmmm :(:(:(

What happened?

battery was getting low and wanted to put a fresh one in. turned to come home and put it into sport mode and it didn't maintain altitude (obviously cos the vps doesn't work so well over water and the collision system is deactivated) and it just stared loosing altitude and impacted the water [thats what i can surmise from watching the footage]

hard lesson to learn!!

On the SA side - does anyone know of any insurance options that do not require you to have a full RPL?

Hi from Durbanville Cape Town.
55, used to fly helicopters and planes but just love my Mavic Pro.
Flying around wine farms (with permission).
Bought a Samsung Note 4 for cheap and that's now dedicated FPV device.
Would love to add a Samsung S2 at some stage.

Last edited:
Hey gents

What do we make of the current legislation on SA? Nobody can afford to get a licence at more than the mavic's value and then have to renew every 3 years!
Just keep flying sensibly (enough to keep us out of trouble)?

That said, I would really like to have the licence and do things the right way. Maybe there is even a career in it!?

Cheers
D
Mossel Bay

The drone laws are just as ridiculous as the current South African Government.
The laws can be found here:
https://businesstech.co.za/news/gen...uth-africas-drone-regulations-are-ridiculous/

In a nutshell for the hobby flier (non commercial):
  • the use drone has no commercial interest;
  • the drone is operated on property owned by the operator (or on property that the operator has the necessary permission to fly on); and
  • distance thresholds – 500m from the pilot and never higher than any obstacle within 300m from the pilot – of operation are maintained.
  • restricts alcohol consumption, require pre-flight preparations;
  • limits the operation to a lateral distance of 50m from any structure or public road;
  • requires that the operator maintains at least a 10% surplus fuel reserve;
  • requires a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher within 300m of the take-off and landing point/s;
  • considering traffic, drones must always give way to manned aircraft.

Silly is it not ? UK is called a kingdom as it is ruled by a King. Japan is called an Empire as it is ruled by an Emperor. Wonder why South Africa is called a Country ?

Reactions: Clinton1
Where in KZN are you?

When I get tired of the beach (or get an opportunity to get away from the beach) Midlands is beautiful area to fly!
I am in Durban, central-ish. I am looking for good areas to fly, but am struggling.

I am in Durban, central-ish. I am looking for good areas to fly, but am struggling.
My normal flying area is the beach before/at sunrise, vary the beaches I go to, normally quiet, sometimes boats launching, and so far no problems with safety, just occasional joggers or dog walkers.
Durban beaches obviously much more developed, so may be more difficult to find a quiet beach, but should be able to find something.
And there's Drakensburg!

Mavic pilots of SA, please welcome Mavic 2.0!!!

IMG_1806.JPG

Ordered from Droneworld yesterday and it arrived this morning!! Needless to say, I won't be going anywhere near the CR Swart dam [emoji1360]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan