DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic spiralling??

Let me elaborate... I only fly the compass quads once a week in very different locations so nobody can tell me NOT to calibrate

I also haven't had more than one or two TBE's in 3 years
I can.
Your theory is flawed, but hey, it's your dollars in the air.

Reactions: scooot
I can.
Your theory is flawed, but hey, it's your dollars in the air.

Bit arrogant on your side but Hey if I'm wrong then I'm dead wrong. Like you stated it's my cash...

I'll always appreciate knowledge even when in a form that's different than what I'd expect, thanks Editor

Last edited:
This seems to be happening a lot out there - see these three - calibrating the joysticks might be the solution?

Reactions: MavicProMX
I have 300 flights on my P3 and NEVER have had TBE, I do IMU, sticks, and compass after firmware update only, then no calibrations unless I move spots by 75 miles or more then only the compass. I am VERY careful with my compass calibrations and have flown 50+ flights on one calibration. To me doing one before every flight is not needed and introduces the possibility of a bad calibration. But this is just me and it works for me, as I have never had one issue, so I will stick with it. If you have flown a few flights with no issue, then calibrate and get TBE then you did a bad calibration and put your bird at risk.

Bit arrogant on your side but Hey if I'm wrong then I'm dead wrong. Like you stated it's my cash...

I'll always appreciate knowledge even when in a form that's different than what I'd expect, thanks Editor
Go find the compass calibration recommendation write up that is floating around here somewhere. You'll change your opinion.

Reactions: dam
I have 300 flights on my P3 and NEVER have had TBE, I do IMU, sticks, and compass after firmware update only, then no calibrations unless I move spots by 75 miles or more then only the compass. I am VERY careful with my compass calibrations and have flown 50+ flights on one calibration. To me doing one before every flight is not needed and introduces the possibility of a bad calibration. But this is just me and it works for me, as I have never had one issue, so I will stick with it. If you have flown a few flights with no issue, then calibrate and get TBE then you did a bad calibration and put your bird at risk.

I've never had toilet bowl effect on my P4 and I've never even seen anybody reporting it in any forums. I thought DJI had eliminated this syndrome and it was relegated to the yuneecs of the drone world.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: F6Rider
Go find the compass calibration recommendation write up that is floating around here somewhere. You'll change your opinion.

I have read it and my calibrations have been fine... maybe a bit more than normal but I never said I recalibrate every flight folks

I have read it and my calibrations have been fine... maybe a bit more than normal but I never said I recalibrate every flight folks
The problem is that if you calibrate at every location, you'll never have a good consistent baseline. You need a calibration mimicking what the drone will be reading in flight, thus an open field with no power lines, cars, keys, phones, rebar, pipes nearby. The odds of having a problem doing it your way may be small, but it's even smaller if you do it the correct way.

Fair enough although I haven't had issues with the 4 year old F450

It's the original Naza so I'm not even flying that thing anymore. This was all my experience from 2010 ;0)

I'm here to learn all the new things

Last edited:
GPS cannot be manually disabled.

Yes I do this every time now, really got me worried. I thought mavic had a redundant compass to stop this happening?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
It does have a redundant compass. But if you calibrate in a bad location (one with interference) they both are bad.

I have always been overly cautious and calibrate every time I fly. I figure it would be worth the the try and do some close low flying to see how it does
That is not being overly cautious... that is running the risk of introducing a bad calibration. By calibrating every time you launch you are being the opposite of cautious. It's actually reckless and goes against what is in the manual. I have one calibration bird flies like a dream.. I'm not touching it unless I am prompted to in the application.

I have a question I'm flying for the first time tomorrow at the farm, then I'm driving 85 miles back home. Do I need to calibrate again when I get home?

That is not being overly cautious... that is running the risk of introducing a bad calibration. By calibrating every time you launch you are being the opposite of cautious. It's actually reckless and goes against what is in the manual. I have one calibration bird flies like a dream.. I'm not touching it unless I am prompted to in the application.

If you went back and saw my posts i did not mean every flight... this is a F450 on the original Naza that was flown 6-12 flights on the weekends when I had the chance to get out but thanks for your concern

F3A745A4-8474-4EDB-AAC1-B9E0208752F1.jpg

Being new to drones, how does one get a bad calibration? I thought if you did it wrong the calibration would fail? Makes me nervous that I did mine correct or not....

Being new to drones, how does one get a bad calibration? I thought if you did it wrong the calibration would fail? Makes me nervous that I did mine correct or not....

Read thsse

Here are the available calibrations:
You can read more about the calibrations in the Mavic manual.

The DJI GO app will sometimes prompt you to perform certain calibrations. Here are some other times when calibrations should be performed:
  • After unboxing your Mavic, calibrate the:
    • compass
    • IMU (optional, but recommended)
  • After installing new firmware, calibrate the:
    • compass
    • remote controller (optional, but recommended)
  • After a bad crash, calibrate the:
  • If the camera/horizon is not level, calibrate the:
    • gimbal
Note: There is some kind of issue involving the remote controller calibration in DJI GO. It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but it's causing the remote controller to become unusable for some. For now, I'd recommend you do not attempt to calibrate the remote controller unless the DJI GO app is prompting you to do so.

Read thsse
Hi thank you, I watched all those before I did the calibration, so I feel it was done correct, I guess my question is how does one get a bad calibration, I though it was either done correctly or it failed? And would tell you if it failed?

Hi thank you, I watched all those before I did the calibration, so I feel it was done correct, I guess my question is how does one get a bad calibration, I though it was either done correctly or it failed? And would tell you if it failed?

Based on the guides unless you are prompted via the App or did a firmware update...etc you shouldn't worry Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121