DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic spiralling??

This seems to be happening a lot out there - see these three - calibrating the joysticks might be the solution?

Nobody has a comment about these videos?? If mine does this and I successfully land it, it's getting returned ASAP

You can get a bad calibration be calibrating your compass in a location where there is metal.. like calibrating on top of reinforced concrete where there are large pieces of metal in the concrete. You calibrate in a clean area and remove all metal.. watches phones etc. Once you have a good calibration leave it alone unless you are prompted by the app to calibrate... even when I am prompted by the application I move the AC to another location to see if that makes the error go away..

For the new guys reading this thread turn you AC on connect it to your TX.. Then walk over and sit the AC on the trunk of your car. It will show compass error because it is being thrown off by the metal. Move the AC away from the metal... error goes away. Same premise with calibrating your compass. If you calibrate in an area that that has metal (e.g. A pier reinforced which steel) the calibration will show as properly calibrated. As soon as you fly away from the pier your AC will fly poorly.

I'm fairly new to this as well. I've been flying for about a year. If there is two items of advice you read and follow let it be these:

First read the manual and follow it to a T regarding compass calibrations (there is even a compass primer thread on this board which goes into detail how to calibrate.. where to calibrate and when to calibrate.)

Second, monitor your battery cell voltage not the battery %..

I have a very good understanding of both of these things and I can say I have never had a serious issue. I can count on two hands how many times I calibrated my Phantom 3.. I had 2 minor issues in close to 400 flight miles. The Mavic is better than the Phantom 3 in just about every imaginable way so.. I expect it to be even more reliable.

Don't worry fly it.

You can get a bad calibration be calibrating your compass in a location where there is metal.. like calibrating on top of reinforced concrete where there are large pieces of metal in the concrete. You calibrate in a clean area and remove all metal.. watches phones etc. Once you have a good calibration leave it alone unless you are prompted by the app to calibrate... even when I am prompted by the application I move the AC to another location to see if that makes the error go away..

For the new guys reading this thread turn you AC on connect it to your TX.. Then walk over and sit the AC on the trunk of your car. It will show compass error because it is being thrown off by the metal. Move the AC away from the metal... error goes away. Same premise with calibrating your compass. If you calibrate in an area that that has metal (e.g. A pier reinforced which steel) the calibration will show as properly calibrated. As soon as you fly away from the pier your AC will fly poorly.

I'm fairly new to this as well. I've been flying for about a year. If there is two items of advice you read and follow let it be these:

First read the manual and follow it to a T regarding compass calibrations (there is even a compass primer thread on this board which goes into detail how to calibrate.. where to calibrate and when to calibrate.)

Second, monitor your battery cell voltage not the battery %..

I have a very good understanding of both of these things and I can say I have never had a serious issue. I can count on two hands how many times I calibrated my Phantom 3.. I had 2 minor issues in close to 400 flight miles. The Mavic is better than the Phantom 3 in just about every imaginable way so.. I expect it to be even more reliable.

Don't worry fly it.
Great info, one last question. It says to calibrate compass with no watches phones ect. But don't you need to watch you phone/tablet to see the calibration promos?

Just had an incident yesterday where my Mavic started spiralling, veering south fast and descending slowly. Just prior to this, I received a message in the app that GPS signal was lost.

Was panicking at the time, so I was working the sticks to get control back. But I think once GPS signal was regained, then I had full control.

I haven't calibrated and had another flight today without the same issue (although my app crashed nearly 20 times at the end of the flight).

Anyhow, if it's recommended I calibrate compass/sticks/IMU then I'll do so before next flight.

Great info, one last question. It says to calibrate compass with no watches phones ect. But don't you need to watch you phone/tablet to see the calibration promos?
I put the controller down and move away as far as possible while being able to see the screen. Remember, open grass field no power lines around.

Reactions: m0j0
Reactions: m0j0 and The Editor
I wouldn't calibrate after traveling 85 miles unless you are prompted by the application. Launch it, let it hover, check mod values, ensure it's flying straight, enjoy your flight.

Nobody has a comment about these videos?? If mine does this and I successfully land it, it's getting returned ASAP

I believe that's not related to GPS. There is some discussion on here about it and yes if mine was doing that it would go back.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

One thing I found interesting when I first received the Mavic is that there was no option to take it out of GPS mode while outdoors.

I assume that if it has a GPS loss in flight outdoors it just goes into Atti mode and you still have full control until GPS returns. Comments above are suggesting that they didn't have full control which tells more there was another issue going on at the time.

Yes to both. When GPS signal is lost the AC switches to attitude mode. The issues above are not related to GPS. Many believe it is related to a TX problem.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato