DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic versus Osmo

Dale Rodgers

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Filmed this for a friend while we were in Crete.

All aerial shots were filmed with the Mavic (ND16, 2.7k, None, +1,0,0) and all low level shots filmed with an Osmo (not the mobile one, no ND, 2.7k, None 0, 0, 0).

All footage from the Mavic has not been touched (no colour grading etc.) whereas I've really had to work hard to get the Osmo footage looking okay - can only assume that I needed an ND filter as its supposed to be a superior camera.

After all the watercolour problems when I first got the Mavic I'm now really happy with the camera (for its size) and the results.

Oh, and all the aerial shots were done after several rakis and trying to hang on to the back (no follow me mode or tracking used).

The overall project is decent. What do you mean you had to work hard to get the Osmo footage to look okay? The osmo footage is mushy and blurry but so are parts of the Mavic footage and sometimes the aerial looks better than the ground footage and vise versa. I know most people don't want to color correct or do any post and if that's the case, they'll have to decide what are the best settings for the environment they'll be shooting in.

In the middle of the day in bright sunlight like this, I think an ND32 would have been better on both the Mavic and the Osmo, especially if you're trying to keep your shutter speed close to the 180 degree shutter rule. I think not having any ND filter on the Osmo was a big mistake. If you're going to be using these two camera side by side, you should be shooting with a flat profile and correcting them to match each other. It's much easier to get different camera footage to match in post if your start with the flattest color profile possible. I've shot footage with a Osmo from a moving car and never had mushy footage like I see in the brush and such in this video.

All of these things are just my opinion.

The overall project is decent. What do you mean you had to work hard to get the Osmo footage to look okay? The osmo footage is mushy and blurry but so are parts of the Mavic footage and sometimes the aerial looks better than the ground footage and vise versa. I know most people don't want to color correct or do any post and if that's the case, they'll have to decide what are the best settings for the environment they'll be shooting in.

In the middle of the day in bright sunlight like this, I think an ND32 would have been better on both the Mavic and the Osmo, especially if you're trying to keep your shutter speed close to the 180 degree shutter rule. I think not having any ND filter on the Osmo was a big mistake. If you're going to be using these two camera side by side, you should be shooting with a flat profile and correcting them to match each other. It's much easier to get different camera footage to match in post if your start with the flattest color profile possible. I've shot footage with a Osmo from a moving car and never had mushy footage like I see in the brush and such in this video.

All of these things are just my opinion.
There was plenty of contrast/brightness corrections for the Osmo footage - none for the Mavic.

Careful judging this youtube clip for mush - they aren't there in the originals for either camera.

Yes, I would have used an ND filter but don't physically own any as I'd just got the Osmo at the airport! The ND16 was also chosen around the 180 rule after checking what the ambient light conditions were (albeit with a smart phone light meter app).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada