DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic vs phantom 4 hardware

Will Vardy

Reactions
So alot of mixed reviews on the mavic. For me it's size outweighs every argument. I have have a small manfrotto dslr rucksack and the mavic will just squeeze in with camera and extra lense. Spot on for my type of 'oportunist' photography.

Reviews are on the whole saying the mavic is 'nearly' as good as the phantom 4. I'm confused though? On the spec sheet it seems to be the same sensor with the same range as the phantom. Only thing I can see is that fhd will go up to 120fps on the phantom and the mavic up to 96. Obviously fov is tighter but I was always under the impression this thing is basically a phantom 4 squeezed into a much smaller airframe.

Comments? Anyone in the know about hardware differences?

Move over parrot piece of crap! here comes the Mavic!!!

For one thing, the lens on the camera is physically smaller. A smaller primary lens is harder to get as good of quality as a larger lens.

Reactions: roedaal
For one thing, the lens on the camera is physically smaller. A smaller primary lens is harder to get as good of quality as a larger lens.
The change in FOV to 75° with manual focus at f/2.2, from 94° with fixed focus at f/2.8 on the P4, is a significant impovement, unless you need a 94° FOV. As long as you properly set the focus on the Mavic for your subject, it will outperform the P4 because the lens is about a half stop faster (gathers more light).

A sensor being smaller would mean you're likely dealing with lower image quality but the sensors are the same.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Actually, the Mavic sensors are the same size, but are not the same/identical, as originally thought, but are fully capable of comparable or better results, despite the overall smaller camera size.

Reactions: Mako79
Thanks for your input guys. As I said I'm set on the mavic but I had that itch in the back of my mind that maybe I was sacrificing quality over portability. I'm happy with the answer [emoji108]

Thanks for your input guys. As I said I'm set on the mavic but I had that itch in the back of my mind that maybe I was sacrificing quality over portability. I'm happy with the answer [emoji108]

Have you seen the Mavic torture test video? Definitely a hardware advantage over the P4.

Yeah I did! That was awesome! Although heartbreaking for those of us that are still waiting :(

At half the weight of a P4, it will also do less damage when falling on people and property, and when running into manned aircraft! :eek:

cue the P4P.. your fears are perfectly corrrect.. he he

trog

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Dammit!! Now I have no fecking clue what to do?!? Screw it the mavics on its way (at some point) so I'll keep an eye on the reviews for p4p and make a decision later....

Dammit!! Now I have no fecking clue what to do?!? Screw it the mavics on its way (at some point) so I'll keep an eye on the reviews for p4p and make a decision later....

P4P reviews are already out! It's image and video quality blows any previous Phantom and Mavic output away! It's like going from a point and shoot to a full frame DSLR with twice the file size and 3 full stops more of low light still capability at up to 13 fps on 20MB DNG images! 4K Video at 60 fps and 100Mbs! Nothing else comes close at this price range!

P4P reviews are already out! It's image and video quality blows any previous Phantom and Mavic output away! It's like going from a point and shoot to a full frame DSLR with twice the file size and 3 full stops more of low light still capability at up to 13 fps on 20MB DNG images! 4K Video at 60 fps and 100Mbs! Nothing else comes close at this price range!
Can it fit in my pocket? Lol

Reactions: Will Vardy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR