DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Zoom crashes into water- I know where... can a strong magnet retrieve it?

MNGT3

Reactions
Crashed my Zoom last night. During a POI shot, it hit a pole above our marina. I didn’t see where it fell, but from the app I’m within 30-50 feet. Water is 8-10 feet deep and 65 degrees, muck bottom.

My question is, if I buy a really strong Neodymium magnet and drag it thru the area on a rope... is there enough ferromagnetic material in the Mavic 2 Zoom to give me a reasonable chance at recovery?

Crashed my Zoom last night. During a POI shot, it hit a pole above our marina. I didn’t see where it fell, but from the app I’m within 30-50 feet. Water is 8-10 feet deep and 65 degrees, muck bottom.

My question is, if I buy a really strong Neodymium magnet and drag it thru the area on a rope... is there enough ferromagnetic material in the Mavic 2 Zoom to give me a reasonable chance at recovery?[/QUOTE
Sorry, but don’t think that’ll work. The Mavic has very little if any magnetic materials as these would interfere with the compass.

Just an FYI for flying over water, especially if you have DJI Care, it works well to attach a “getter back” to your drone. Typically used for fishing rods, this device ejects a float with a string for retrieval.

If you have DJI Care, it may be worth hiring a diver to retrieve your drone.

Reactions: RCdancer
How about a drag net instead a magnet? Trolling the bottom with a net would be one way. Without a net, finding a drone in even 8-10 feet of water is gonna be like trying to find a needle in a haystack unless you can see the bottom and unless you reduce the search grid.

To answer your question, your only hope of picking it up with a magnet is if the drone sank upright. The metal motor cans are the only real objects a magnet could hold on to.

@Mavicsailor might be on to something about hiring a diver.

Last edited:

My question is, if I buy a really strong Neodymium magnet and drag it thru the area on a rope... is there enough ferromagnetic material in the Mavic 2 Zoom to give me a reasonable chance at recovery?
Fresh water or salt

Reactions: Former Member
Salt water. Have DJI Care. Called two divers today— so far no reply. The area in question has many pilings upon which the boat lifts are mounted. Dragging a net is not feasible. I’ll keep trying for a diver, but I am also going to order a 660 pound pull magnet off Amazon and drag it thru the area for as long as I can stand it. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Salt water. Have DJI Care. Called two divers today— so far no reply. The area in question has many pilings upon which the boat lifts are mounted. Dragging a net is not feasible. I’ll keep trying for a diver, but I am also going to order a 660 pound pull magnet off Amazon and drag it thru the area for as long as I can stand it. I’ll let you know the outcome.
Having lost more things in low visibility water than I’d like to admit, you could also get an extendable boat pole and gently poke around the bottom. If it’s soft mud as you say, hitting a hard surface should be felt. To take it a step further, you could attach a wireless endoscope camera to the pole to view the bottom. These are available on Amazon for about $40 that appear to come in lengths up to about 15 feet. Of course, all of this is assuming you have access to a small boat.

The fact that you have DJI Care makes it well worth it to find your Mavic, regardless of salt or fresh water.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear this. You need one of these:

The fact that you have DJI Care makes it well worth it to find your Mavic, regardless of salt or fresh water.

This is a very good point. I guess there is a cost/value relationship when doing a salvage.

Tello flyaway - wave bye bye
Spark crash - just leave it in the tree
Mavic Air crash - think hard about climbing that tree and how long it will take to heal a broken leg if you fall.
Mavic Pro crash - Maybe hire an arborist or diver, but not more than $200
Mavic Zoom crash - call in the Marines.

Not sure where you're located (but since you said it's 65 degree water temps, I've got to assume it's no where near me) but i'd suggest contacting any local dive shops in your area (if you have any?) and see if they have a dive club. My dive club will use any excuse we can to get in the water, especially if it involves helping out someone in the community.

Also, try some dive related forums such as scubaboard.com which has regional specific forums setup.

Good luck!

50874086_2128605210550704_8738005350466191360_o.jpg

Last edited:
Found a diver. Paid $250 for 1 hour search. Sadly, didn’t find it. I’ll keep trying magnet and nets but hope is fading fast. I ordered a new Zoom last night... and every floatation device on earth!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure