DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Radio & Antenna Mods

I have tested many and this unit is the best roof mount omni out there. Don't try and make your own RF coax cables, buy what you need made from the factory (so double check all your connector types and gender when ordering. Place the amp near or on the RC.

2.4 GHz MGUR Series Vehicle Mount Omni Antennas

View attachment 60121

Thanks again. Nice compact antenna. Most of my roof is glass, so I have to use a suction mount. A standard camara mount lets me switch between different antennas for different purposes (long-range, CP, etc). Just fitted internal curtains to improve screen visibility. You think the amp should be near the RC. Will this give better reception, or just for convenience?

Thanks again. Nice compact antenna. Most of my roof is glass, so I have to use a suction mount. A standard camara mount lets me switch between different antennas for different purposes (long-range, CP, etc). Just fitted internal curtains to improve screen visibility. You think the amp should be near the RC. Will this give better reception, or just for convenience?
Because all of the quality external antennas have at least 3 meters of high quality coax direct attached to the antenna.

Reactions: Deadleg
Because all of the quality external antennas have at least 3 meters of high quality coax direct attached to the antenna.

Going back to your excellent rf power measurements, it was surprising that you found little improvement in fcc over ce. Have you any idea what caused that surprising result? I have just been running some "real world" tests and find an enormous difference between the two. Attached some graphs of the RC and HD meter bars, and how they change with distance. I realise these aren't accurate measurements, but they are indicating a huge change in rf power.

The variability over the first 3 Km was due to flying over WiFi congested area. Beyond 2 Km I was flying over the sea. I can roughly double the range with fcc, so I believe this indicates a 4-fold increase in power (inverse square law).

CE vs FCC, RC strength.pngCE vs FCC, video strength.png

FCC, 5.8, 10MHz, custom channel. The app doesn't select channels as well as it should so always do it manually.

Stock battery flight with only 1012 air density.

Screenshot_20190124-220013.jpegScreenshot_20190124-212821.jpeg

Reactions: Joebie and Deadleg
FCC, 5.8, 10MHz, custom channel. The app doesn't select channels as well as it should so always do it manually. Stock battery flight with only 1012 air density.

Nice flight, amazing distance for stock battery. I assume you ran constant speed of 14.8 both ways. Interesting to see you quote air density. Do you know how this effects range?

Nice flight, amazing distance for stock battery. I assume you ran constant speed of 14.8 both ways. Interesting to see you quote air density. Do you know how this effects range?
14.8m/s out with a slight tailwind. Coming back varied between 13-14.8. I watch RPM and try to average 54-5600 on this flight.

I don't have any numbers, but have had some record flights when the barometer is over 1030hpa. 1036 or 38 is the highest on record. What makes more difference is density altitude which takes humidity and temp into consideration. Low air temps also keep the motors and wiring cool, the issue is keeping the battery warm.

14.8m/s out with a slight tailwind. Coming back varied between 13-14.8. I watch RPM and try to average 54-5600 on this flight.

I don't have any numbers, but have had some record flights when the barometer is over 1030hpa. 1036 or 38 is the highest on record. What makes more difference is density altitude which takes humidity and temp into consideration. Low air temps also keep the motors and wiring cool, the issue is keeping the battery warm.

I will have to watch barometric pressure and RPM more carefully from now on, but living in Tenerife I don't get much cold weather. You were brave going out in a tailwind and turning at 53%. What was batt % on landing?

Going back to your excellent rf power measurements, it was surprising that you found little improvement in fcc over ce. Have you any idea what caused that surprising result? I have just been running some "real world" tests and find an enormous difference between the two. Attached some graphs of the RC and HD meter bars, and how they change with distance. I realise these aren't accurate measurements, but they are indicating a huge change in rf power.

The variability over the first 3 Km was due to flying over WiFi congested area. Beyond 2 Km I was flying over the sea. I can roughly double the range with fcc, so I believe this indicates a 4-fold increase in power (inverse square law).

View attachment 60537View attachment 60538
Those original numbers were for the Mavic1. It's time I rerun all the tests with all the latest versions on the Mavic2.

I have a DJI smart controller on order and I will repeat the tests on it. BTW - at the time I abandoned trying the mod on iOS, I need to revisit this and see if anything has changed.

I will have to watch barometric pressure and RPM more carefully from now on, but living in Tenerife I don't get much cold weather. You were brave going out in a tailwind and turning at 53%. What was batt % on landing?
0% and 3.5v landing.
Screenshot_20190124-221040.jpegScreenshot_20190124-221215.jpeg

Those original numbers were for the Mavic1. It's time I rerun all the tests with all the latest versions on the Mavic2.

I have a DJI smart controller on order and I will repeat the tests on it. BTW - at the time I abandoned trying the mod on iOS, I need to revisit this and see if anything has changed.

I was referring to these tests . . were they Mavic 1?

Beanbubba M2 Tx power results.png

In stock form you have to hold the left stick up. I changed to battery type 3 using Assistant in debug mode and that stops auto descent.
Doesn't battery_type=2 do the same thing? I noticed that battery_type=3 messes up airdata battery info.

Same here, delayed by customs from arriving yesterday. I’ll record it and post Monday (US/mountain)
It's going to be interesting where to place the RPSMA connector. It's not as obvious as before.

I might try something different and leave the factory antennas in place and place a micro junction box where I can switch back and forth. We will see after she is cracked open.

1548615689401.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki