DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 smart controller....

Sorry guys but i dont really understand where we can find the positive point of that new controler...
The mavic drones are foldable and built to be carried , in the smallest space as possible...but this new controler seems to be bigger than the drone itself!!
Maybe the screen is bright enough to fly under hard sun , or maybe autonomy is improved, or you will not need to choose a phone/tablet that can run djigo without any bugs or freezes anymore...?? Is that positive enough to ignore portability?
For me , portability(and quality as well) is why I bought a mavic...this new controler is a crap for me...
For me using an iPad mini 4, the smart controller will be much better. The mini 4 overheats in direct sunlight and shuts down. It is also unreadable in direct sunlight. Tired of playing games with a hood too!

Last edited:
Sorry guys but i dont really understand where we can find the positive point of that new controler...
The mavic drones are foldable and built to be carried , in the smallest space as possible...but this new controler seems to be bigger than the drone itself!!
Maybe the screen is bright enough to fly under hard sun , or maybe autonomy is improved, or you will not need to choose a phone/tablet that can run djigo without any bugs or freezes anymore...?? Is that positive enough to ignore portability?
For me , portability(and quality as well) is why I bought a mavic...this new controler is a crap for me...

Personally, I am sick of having to pull my controller out, mess with connecting and untangling wires, turning my phone on "do not disturb" so I don't get calls in the middle of my flights, taking my plastic phone carry case off so it fits the controller, forcing my phone into the fold-out mounts and lining it up, then going onto my screen and looking for the DJI app and opening it. It is what it is, but since we're comparing the Smart controller vs the regular one, that's how I look at it. With the Smart controller all you do is pull it out, power it, and fly. That's it. To me that's a HUGE benefit. You also only need to make sure your smart controller is charged and not worry about your phone AND controller being charged. And with all that with a phone, you still will be battling to see the screen in the bright sun (which is all the time and a true battle for me).

It's not for everyone, but saying it's a lot bigger to carry is silly.. it's basically the same size of the regular controller but a little longer (I've seen pics side by side of a controller with an iphone attached and this controller is actually slightly smaller) and you will have to have/carry a phone or ipad, right? I have a padded carry case and all I will have to do is pull out some padding below the controller and it will still slide right in to the case... a big, bulky thing to carry this is not IMO.

With this controller you will be hitting two power buttons and be ready to fly within seconds of pulling everything out.

Personally, I am sick of having to pull my controller out, mess with connecting and untangling wires, turning my phone on "do not disturb" so I don't get calls in the middle of my flights, taking my plastic phone carry case off so it fits the controller, forcing my phone into the fold-out mounts and lining it up, then going onto my screen and looking for the DJI app and opening it. It is what it is, but since we're comparing the Smart controller vs the regular one, that's how I look at it. With the Smart controller all you do is pull it out, power it, and fly. That's it. To me that's a HUGE benefit. You also only need to make sure your smart controller is charged and not worry about your phone AND controller being charged. And with all that with a phone, you still will be battling to see the screen in the bright sun (which is all the time and a true battle for me).

It's not for everyone, but saying it's a lot bigger to carry is silly.. it's basically the same size of the regular controller but a little longer (I've seen pics side by side of a controller with an iphone attached and this controller is actually slightly smaller) and you will have to have/carry a phone or ipad, right? I have a padded carry case and all I will have to do is pull out some padding below the controller and it will still slide right in to the case... a big, bulky thing to carry this is not IMO.

With this controller you will be hitting two power buttons and be ready to fly within seconds of pulling everything out.
I couldn’t have said it any better!!!

Reactions: The Flashman

I can only speak for myself but I was very excited when I saw this was going to be available:

- Currently no smartphone or tablet commonly on the market can get to 1000 nits of brightness, but this controller can - no need to carry a sun shield or hunt for shade
- It's actually smaller when assembled than the regular controller + almost any smartphone, and you are carrying all that with you regardless. The portability difference will be a non-issue for most users I think. Whatever carry bag/case you're using now can very likely accommodate the new controller as well.
- Faster start up time means I'm in the air faster, and less time waiting around
- Dedicated environment for the DJI GO app free of interruptions or bloatware, theoretically making everything more stable
- It's more comfortable to hold on to (subjective) especially for people with large hands. You no longer have the awkward clamps to deal with and you get a full-length grip for your palms.
- The antenna design is better and more discrete (downward pointing)
- The mechanism used to store the joysticks when not in use is slightly better (they are fully sealed inside the controller)
- HDMI Out w/4K/60P (possible clue for the M2P Platinum???) + micro SD card slot for local recording, as well as a mic for narration
- It's operating range is a full 20C lower than the regular controller and I would venture a guess it does a pretty good job at warming the hands as well. Nice for us in cold climates.
- It has a massive battery and longer run time than the regular controller
- NO MORE CABLES
- No more awkward positioning of my phone in the clamps, no more peeling off my phone's case to fit it in the clamps and accidentally dropping it on the ground

The only disadvantages are basically that you can't disassemble it, so it's minimum size is larger, and if you already own a M2 the incremental cost is significant. It's actually a bargain if purchased as a bundle though, when you look at what a Crystal Sky 5.5" costs on its own. It won't be for everyone but we're lucky to have options when it comes to controllers in my opinion.

Now, if only they would get to Canada a little faster...

Last edited:
Reactions: 747P4
My questions revolve around the stability of an Android device. Now maybe this device is more robust that a separate Android phone or tablet but when my tab has decided to kill the DJI-Go app, the controller continues to function and I can control the aircraft or bring it in more quickly if necessary. If this Android system implodes, do the joysticks and buttons still function?

Speaking of Android, I saw the review above where he mentioned trying to load other apps.

Does this thing have Home/Recent/Back functions like Android? If so, how about an experiment - Bring up Recent and Kill DJI-go? Does the controller still work?

I fly mine from a boat quite often, the ease of setup and less pieces to drop into the water did it for me. Mine is set to be delivered Friday morning as well!

Reactions: The Flashman
Just got update on delivery info and it will be here on Thursday by 10:30 AM !! Wow China to Fla. in 2 days !! Better than Amazon!!

Looks like you are the lucky one! You made the cutoff for the day on shipping, mine and Hoverguy's are scheduled for Friday, so you'll be the first here that has posted to get one! n

Did either of you have DJI select? I do and that was supposed to result in expedited shipping but I too am getting it on Friday despite ordering it within 15 minutes after it becoming available.

It's only a day but DJI has been pressing me to renew my select membership and if people are getting theirs before me who are not select members, I don't think I'll be renewing as it seems to be an empty promise. I will add that I don't think it expedited shipping when purchasing the the M2P.

Did either of you have DJI select? I do and that was supposed to result in expedited shipping but I too am getting it on Friday despite ordering it within 15 minutes after it becoming available.

It's only a day but DJI has been pressing me to renew my select membership and if people are getting theirs before me who are not select members, I don't think I'll be renewing as it seems to be an empty promise. I will add that I don't think it expedited shipping when purchasing the the M2P.

Not sure if I have it, but wouldn't you consider 3 day shipping from China to be fast? Amazon takes 2 days and the warehouse is 20 miles from my house. So an extra day coming from China seems reasonable. :)

I also ordered first thing when it became available and from the looks of it, DJI just missed the cutoff time for me or I would have got it on Thursday. Kinda sucks but oh well.. Friday it is.

On a side note, when I ordered my Mavic 2, it shipped same day and arrived 2 days later from China. That was just as fast as Amazon Prime (Amazon did not have them in stock at that time either, I ordered the same day they released it).

Not sure if I have it, but wouldn't you consider 3 day shipping from China to be fast?

It is fast. However issue is do I get anything different for paying to be a "select" member when compared to others not paying for"select".

Looks like you are the lucky one! You made the cutoff for the day on shipping, mine and Hoverguy's are scheduled for Friday, so you'll be the first here that has posted to get one! n

[emoji36] just checked the FedEx shipping tracking and they moved me back to getting my smart controller on Friday also [emoji30] ... gonna rain Thursday anyway..[emoji846]

Mine is now in HK. I still will be really impressed if it makes from HK to TN in 2 days.

Don't forget that China is about 14 hours ahead so shipments in this direction have an advantage time-wise. That's about how long it takes for express shippers to get here from there so it's almost a wash. Then they sort, reload, and fly to your city or nearby and the shipment comes that day.

Very slightly off topic, the SD card slot on the Controller. Is that for additional memory (select eitger save to drone or controller) or is it to put the drones SD card into so the stored footage can be viewed? I will crawl back into my hole now!

Mine is now in HK. I still will be really impressed if it makes from HK to TN in 2 days.

The plane from Hong Kong just took off. It’s scheduled to land at 2300LCL in Memphis tonight. It will have no problem getting to you in two days.

Sweet, I might drive over and watch it land! :)

1f34812b142dc77439a139dd63a679be.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman