DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic3 Cine crash opinions wanted.

psionic001

Reactions
Hi all.
A colleague had his Mavic3 Cine fail over the water shortly after takeoff.
To me it looks like a total IMU failure. (See below)
I’m trying to get hold of the full Rez file as this one was sent via SMS and pretty low Rez.

IMPORTANT NOTES
1) it was launched from a boat. We’re finding the latest firmware is not as boat proof. Had been operating from the boat for 3 days.

2) it was in ATTI mode (hack) for a week or so with no other issues.

3) on a landing (2 days prior) they couldn’t shut it down by the usual flip method after hand catching, and I believe it ended up upside down on the floor of the boat chipping two props in the process. The broken props were replaced. I’m trying to get more info on this.

VIDEO HERE.

My opinion is IMU fail from the bump.
Or loss of one of the prop blades from an unseen crack.

would love to get some opinions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
would love to get some opinions.
Opinions aren't worth much unless they are based on the hard evidence that will be in the recorded flight data.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Opinions aren't worth much unless they are based on the hard evidence that will be in the recorded flight data.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
Aircraft was lost.
Apparently they were using a Pro Controller. Does that have logs on it?
If it has flight logs I’ll get them.
They videoed the controller screen and will be sending that too.

Apparently they were using a Pro Controller. Does that have logs on it?
Yes, a TXT flight log is created on the remote controller (or mobile device).

My plane is boarding now. will look at it tonight.

Hey there.
I got the flight data this morning
That's a nice place for flying.
The flight data is short but interesting.
How was the drone launched?
Was it hand launched or was it launched from the boat?
If it was launched from the boat, what was the surface it launched from and what might have been close by (within a metre, or under the deck)?

Did the drone appear to be flying faster than it was commanded?
Was it appearing to respond normally to the controls?

Also note the 4billion MPH data point.
That's just a data glitch and not related to the incident.

Thanks. That must be new. The last time I checked Drone-Hacks.Com they did not have anything for the M3.
The video shows how to change parameters in the drone's firmware/controller. This has been possible for many DJI drones for a long time. It is a free tool from Drone-Hacks, just download their app and connect your drone, then you have access to all the parameters. But it can be hard finding information about the function of all the parameters.

That's a nice place for flying.
The flight data is short but interesting.
How was the drone launched?
Was it hand launched or was it launched from the boat?
If it was launched from the boat, what was the surface it launched from and what might have been close by (within a metre, or under the deck)?

Did the drone appear to be flying faster than it was commanded?
Was it appearing to respond normally to the controls?

That's just a data glitch and not related to the incident.
I was told that the drone is initialised on a table, then transferred to hand, and hand launched.
They cover all the bottom sensors with tape so they can bring it in and land no matter how rough the boat is pitching, and that has been normal ops since the Mav3 was released. Unfortunately we can't turn off downward sensors like the Mav2.
On that flight they put it in ATTI mode to get out to the filming area fast which was about 400 meters away.
They say ATTI mode is a bit faster than sport mode, but it traveled faster than expected.
You guys have seen the video of what the camera did when it lurched over to one side while flying.
They had done a hundred ATTI mode flights before this one, and have done a hundred since with a new cine and had no issues.
They shut the drone down after landing by grabbing it and flipping inverted by hand.
Two days before when they flipped it by hand it bumped a table in the boat and broke two props, but the drone didn't break other than the props got chipped and replaced.
They occasionally get a "can't take off" warning after the motor start up and are idling, but the throttle does not engage.

IMO the Mavic 3 doesn't have any "boat mode" algorithm like other DJI drones in the past, and it probably had a dodgy IMU going bad around the moment of takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54