DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MavicPro GPS Accuracy?

Cookedinlh

Reactions
Mavic Pro GPS accuracy is amazing . . I'm not an expert in image manipulation but I took 2 hand held photos before and after a 25 min flight out to about 800m max distance and all over the harbour in Sarnia yesterday. Then just for fun I hit RTH and waited . . . and it came home. Apparently it knows home pretty well, since it came back to within an inch or so of where it took off from. In this overlay, I just made one of the photos transparent and then matched up the cracks in the ground to see how close it came . . Anyone else try this?
It looks odd to me that the props stopped in almost exactly the same positions!! That's very strange because I only took two photos one before and one after. . . but that seems weird
Next time I think I'll draw a chalk outline first and then just take one photo

upload_2017-1-26_7-12-50.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't do a chalk outline, someone will think a Mavic was killed! LOL
There was a guy on the breakwater throwing stones at me so it could have happened that flight. Fortunately, he has a crappy pitching arm.

The final landing of the mavic do not depend on the GPS position but on the pictures it took when took off with his under body cameras.

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

this level of landing accuracy has been my experience with the Mavic also ... it has always come back to inches of the take off position. I test this after every update by turning off my RC while in flight.

The final landing of the mavic do not depend on the GPS position but on the pictures it took when took off with his under body cameras.

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

Yes I guess I knew that... it's a Mavic accuracy not just its GPS.... it certainly is good though

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

hello, i have important question about mavi GPS accuracy
i have mavic pro , im surveyor and my job is about arial photogerametery and making DEM,DTM,and image maps (mosaic photo), topography and... Agisoft Photoscan

in arial photogrametery, accuracy of positioning is most important ,
Mavic GPS calculate the coordinate of each photo ( N,E for center of photo (WGS84) or X,Y (UTM coordinate))
this coordinate find in Exif of each photo , also photogrametery softwares use this coordinate

now, my questions is :
1- Mavic have dual GPS? (L1 + L5)
2- N,E (or UTM X,Y) center of photo have 1.5 meter Accuracy?? (Mavic GPS accuracy is?)

thanx

Last edited:
2- N,E (or UTM X,Y) center of photo have 1.5 meter Accuracy?? (Mavic GPS accuracy is?)

Mavic gives N & E with variying accuracy depending on how fast your drone is moving at the time of the photo. I have got around 0.1m when the drone is stationary for a while. As soon as the drone moves ive seen up to 3m out though.

Most photogrammetry packages will take all of the photos coordinates and account for this error to get a better location of the map.

If it is survey work you are doing the new Phantom 4 RTK is a great low cost solution for accuracy around 3cm . . not sure if they'll have a Mavic like that someday but eventually I'd bet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada