DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max distance, on average?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all, with decent lone of sight, what is the average maximum distance that I should expect to fly before losing signal with my MM?

Hi all, with decent lone of sight, what is the average maximum distance that I should expect to fly before losing signal with my MM?
In my experience, it will vary greatly depending on the type of area you are in. In Canada right now, you can legally fly drones under 250 grams beyond visual line of sight. (BVLOS).

The Mavic Mini is rated up to 4 kms, which would likely be the maximum under ideal conditions. As the MM signal is wifi based, I find that the range is greatly reduced when flying in a built up residential or business area, and unlike the higher end drones, flying with the signal passing through glass seems to significantly decrease the range. I've lost signal, then rolled the car window down and regained it.

Having said all that, the maximum distance I have had my MM with video and full control was 2.6 km. This was in a rural area with good line of sight. In a built up area, the maximum range is usually about 1 km in my experience.

Given your location, I'd assume you have the CE version of the transmitter. The specs claim this has a range of 2km. From my experience I think this is achievable, provided its using a 2.4ghz channel. 5.8ghz range is closer to 500m, which is the legal distance limit in the UK just now.

Tried a test run at the weekend with mm1 on 5.8Ghz with Yagi-Uda antenna.
Over farmland with no high trees and nothing to block signal.
went to 500m high and just made 3km but the battery was down to 55% so had to RTH.
No problems with signal loss at 3km.

Tried a test run at the weekend with mm1 on 5.8Ghz with Yagi-Uda antenna.
Over farmland with no high trees and nothing to block signal.
went to 500m high and just made 3km but the battery was down to 55% so had to RTH.
No problems with signal loss at 3km.
Was that under CAA Part 102 rules with special permission to go above the 120m altitude limit and beyond the point where you can still see the drone? It's certainly outside the scope of Part 101 flight.

What was your mitigation against 101.209 requirements? That's usually a difficult one to get waived - most people doing distance flights with a Mini just ignore that rule or their local equivalent. I ask out of genuine curiosity, as I can see there being an increasing pressure on the various variations of that rule worldwide.

Last edited:
Where this comes into play for me is when I am at a reasonably safe transit altitude (100 - 150 ft) with VLOS and see something I want to photo a bit closer. If i drop behind trees it can be as little as several hundred feet. Behind buildings, even less. It's critical you have RTH set with altitude greater than any feature in these circumstances so the drone will climb back up if it initiates when signal is lost.

Reactions: Nearlypastit
It depends on your location and perhaps the individual drone controller combination. Over open sea at 60ft I lost signal at just over 2km, as it climbed to the RTH height the signal came back and was rock solid. In my garden on a bad day 100m (trees and mist etc.), besides which I wouldn't go much further than that there.
Outside the garden, not near built up areas etc. and interference I would expect to reach 500 to 600m which is the edge of my VLOS but I have seen it down to 400m and perhaps less on a misty day.
All with a CE version

to 500m, which is the legal distance limit in the UK just now.

Where does this 500m distance limit come from please?

It depends on your location and perhaps the individual drone controller combination. Over open sea at 60ft I lost signal at just over 2km, as it climbed to the RTH height the signal came back and was rock solid. In my garden on a bad day 100m (trees and mist etc.), besides which I wouldn't go much further than that there.
Outside the garden, not near built up areas etc. and interference I would expect to reach 500 to 600m which is the edge of my VLOS but I have seen it down to 400m and perhaps less on a misty day.
All with a CE version

Where does this 500m distance limit come from please?
Now you've got me as my references for the outgoing regs show it as being withdrawn and refer to the incoming regs?

CAP722 Ed8 puts a number of 500m on the CAA's expected maximum distance which VLOS can be maintained, which is nearly (but not explicitly) a legal maximum. I read it to mean they'd not challenge you if you keep within 500m horizontal distance and beyond that they could reasonably ask for it to be demonstrated that you could maintain VLOS. I'm pretty sure CAP722 Ed7 had similar wording.

Now you've got me as my references for the outgoing regs show it as being withdrawn and refer to the incoming regs?

CAP722 Ed8 puts a number of 500m on the CAA's expected maximum distance which VLOS can be maintained, which is nearly (but not explicitly) a legal maximum. I read it to mean they'd not challenge you if you keep within 500m horizontal distance and beyond that they could reasonably ask for it to be demonstrated that you could maintain VLOS. I'm pretty sure CAP722 Ed7 had similar wording.
For UK Read Rivision history thus:
CAP 722(P) Eighth Edition November 2020
This revision implements the new UAS Regulatory Package, which becomes applicable in
its entirety in the UK from 31 December 2020. The document has been completely
restructured in order to accommodate the necessary changes and present them in a
clearer and more comprehensible manner.

Note when the word "MUST" is used it indicates a mandatory requirement refer page 17 - Hence operating within VLOS the remote pilot must be able to clearly see the unmanned aircraft

Read page 36 of 8th Edition - Section 2.1.1 VLOS

2.1.1 Visual line of sight operations (VLOS)
Operating within Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) means that the remote pilot must be able to
clearly see the unmanned aircraft and the surrounding airspace at all times while it is
airborne. The key requirement of any flight is to avoid collisions and a VLOS operation
ensures that the remote pilot is able to monitor the aircraft’s flight path and so manoeuvre
it clear of anything that it might collide with. While corrective lenses may be used, the
use of binoculars, telescopes, or any other forms of image enhancing devices are not
permitted. Putting things in very simple terms, when operating VLOS, the aircraft must
not be flown out of sight of the remote pilot’s eyes.
The CAA will normally accept that the VLOS requirement is met when the UA is flown out
to a distance of 500 metres horizontally from the remote pilot, but only if the aircraft can
still be seen at this distance.
The ‘operating height’ is limited to a maximum distance of 400 feet (120 metres) from the
closest point of the earth’s surface (see para 2.1.1.1 below). Operations at a greater
distance from the remote pilot may be permitted if an acceptable safety case is
submitted. For example, if the aircraft is large it may be justifiable that its flight path can
be monitored visually at a greater distance than 500 metres. Conversely, for some small
aircraft, operations out to a distance of 500 metres may mean it is not possible to assure
or maintain adequate visual contact, and so the aircraft must obviously be kept closer to
the remote pilot.

So I interpret the above as the UA must always be seen by the remote pilot, note the comments for some small aircraft - I would include Mavic Mini as small

Reactions: old man mavic
In Canada right now, you can legally fly drones under 250 grams beyond visual line of sight. (BVLOS).
Are you sure about that? The Transport Canada site says:

While flying​

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times

Reactions: Ridgeback
Are you sure about that? The Transport Canada site says:

While flying​

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times

As someone who enforces the TC laws related to drones, "Yes", I am sure about that.

Transport Canada's website states:

Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms

Micro-drones are drones weighing less than 250 g. The weight of the remote control is not factored in to the weight calculation, but the weight of anything attached or carried, such as optional cameras or safety cages, will be considered part of the weight.

Pilots of micro drone don’t need to register their drone or get a drone pilot certificate to fly them. Pilots of micro drones are not bound by the same requirements as other drones. However, you must not operate your drone in a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone.

While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulations, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro drone to use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to avoid any risks associated with flying your drone.

As a good practice, you should always:
  • maintain the drone in direct line of sight
  • do not fly your drone above 400 feet in the air
  • keep a safe distance between your drone and any bystanders
  • stay far away from aerodromes, airport, heliport and waterdrome
  • avoid flying near critical infrastructures
  • stay clear of aircrafts, at all time
  • do a pre-flight inspection of your drone
  • keep the drone close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller
  • avoid advertised events
Follow these guidelines to avoid flying in a negligent or reckless manner and being subject to fines. Enjoy a safe flight and minimize the risk of incidents. Remember: if you feel that your flight is risky, don’t do it.

I should be clear that I never advocated flying a micro drone BVLOS, but stated that it was legal to do so. I agree with TC that these are "good practices" that pilots "should" abide by. You cannot be charged for merely flying a micro drone BVLOS. You can be charged if the nature of your operations are deemed reckless or negligent and endangering, or likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of anyone.

Flying BVLOS may be one of the factors taken into consideration when determining if a micro drone is being operated reckless or in a negligent manner, but by itself is not illegal.

Last edited:
Reactions: EyesWideShut
Given your location, I'd assume you have the CE version of the transmitter. The specs claim this has a range of 2km. From my experience I think this is achievable, provided its using a 2.4ghz channel. 5.8ghz range is closer to 500m, which is the legal distance limit in the UK just now.
Interesting. Thank you. How can I change to 2.4ghz? Or is this even possible?

Interesting. Thank you. How can I change to 2.4ghz? Or is this even possible?
On auto mode it may automatically select 2.4ghz, but usually if there are houses near it will use 5.8ghz due to there being lots of wifi interference. In manual mode you can choose, with the lower number channels being 2.4ghz band and the high numbers 5.8ghz. Note 2.4ghz is only available on the CE version of the mini. If you bought yours anywhere other than in the USA it'll most likely be a CE model.

Last edited:
yes, mine is CE model. No way of changing it?

I can log in to Amazon.com and order but no way of guaranteeing it is the model I need?

Last edited:
yes, mine is CE model. No way of changing it?
You could sell it and try and buy a fcc model, or get very hany with a soldering iron and replace the transmitter board. However the fcc version performs worse than the ce model in the UK(GPS location detects its outside the USA and limits the transmit power), so kinda pointless.

If you're after range that can take you even further beyond VLOS limits then try a yagi or parabolic reflector clip-on for your controller.

Reactions: Buel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead