DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum Height Restriction (Mini-2)

For most UAS, they reach their maximum height of 400’ from the TO point. That said the vast majority of UAS are using barometric pressure to assume altitude. With that in mind, the pilot taking off from a ‘cliff edge’ and flying over the cliff (example altitude now 400’+) would seemingly place the UAS pilot in violation of the 400’ max altitude. But, the max altitude is measured from the TO land surface to the UAS, not pilot to UAS. The barometric pressure may change while in flight to indicate differing altitudes. The sensors used in our drones are quite similar to sensors in larger manned AC. The sensors are generally protected by being placed internal. They are designed to microscopically detect the differences of air pressure. So a setting of assumed ZERO AGL air pressure will change as the UAS increases/decreases altitude. These sensors are NOT alone in their reporting of altitude. Many UAS have the built in GPS and are constantly receiving the broadcast signals. The GPS receivers, within the UAS, work in conjunction with the barometric pressure sensors to keep your drone in a level, controlled environment. This is essentially why, when flying, one’s UAS may report an altitude change when you go straight out from the mountain cliff you may be standing on. It is entirely possible at that particular time, you have not violated the AGL, as once again, the AGL is generally based on TO location.

Did I get it wrong?

Last edited:
For most UAS, they reach their maximum height of 400’ from the TO point.
For DJI drones, the max height above launch point is 1640 ft
That said the vast majority of UAS are using barometric pressure to assume altitude.
All drones use barometric sensors for altitude data
But, the max altitude is measured from the TO land surface to the UAS, not pilot to UAS.
All regulations about maximum height relate to the height of the drone above the ground below it, not height above launch point.

These sensors are NOT alone in their reporting of altitude. The GPS receivers, within the UAS, work in conjunction with the barometric pressure sensors to keep your drone in a level, controlled environment.
GPS is not used for altitude management .. that comes from the barometric sensor on its own.
This is essentially why, when flying, one’s UAS may report an altitude change when you go straight out from the mountain cliff you may be standing on.
It won't.
It will continue to report height above or below the launch point.
It is entirely possible at that particular time, you have not violated the AGL, as once again, the AGL is generally based on TO location.
Once again, height regulations have nothing to do with where you launched from.
Did I get it wrong?
Only a few things

All regulations about maximum height relate to the height of the drone above the ground below it, not height above launch point.

GPS is not used for altitude management .. that comes from the barometric sensor on its own.

It won't.

Only a few things

It won't.

Only a few things
Very good meta4
I can accept this criticism a little better than a curt
“Yes..in quite a few ways”
I thank you for clarifying my errors.

Uuum there's a problem here, the firmware ceiling is 1640ft, not 1164ft, isn't it?
No way to bypass it unless you hack the firmware (and I think that door has been shut) or land at height, stop and start the motors and take off again.
But there are risks to the latter, home point reset to the landing site, possible GPS problems limiting the distance from the landing site, angles of tilt preventing motor start, grass etc. preventing successful motor start etc. etc..
It doesn't seem to be consistent. The last time I bumped the limit, it was lower, 10XX ft.

DJI should delete that nanny-ism.

TCS

DJI should delete that nanny-ism.
If you are referring to the 500m thing, ..................why?
Yes I can see that it limits some folks that fly, legally, up mountains etc. but unfortunately there are also folks who do vertical climbs into manned aircraft air space.
Besides at a height of 500m the drone must be getting near the limit of most folks VLOS, a Mavic Mini or Mini 2 can be difficult enough to spot at a height of 120m let alone 500m.
If anything I can foresee the 500m ceiling being reduced.

Yes , it is. The Op said something like , but it is 1640 ft , Good call.

On that note , does the Mavic Pro have a higher Limit. ?
So if he does remote land on top of the mountain and restart he can surpass the limit by another 1640 ft ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I've bumped all three of my Mini-2s into the height restriction, and in no case was it above 1200 ft.

I always keep my firmware current.

A 1640 ft limit would fully meet my existing exploration needs. It would let me get high enough to peek over the top of the ridge on the other side of the canyon.

TCS

Was 1164ft a typo? If not then there is something else going on with the drone or app etc..

With regards rescuing a mini, I think the first problem would be how do you 'grab' it in the first place?
I have 'grabbed' a Phantom 3 using a hook, suspended from another Phantom 3, to snag the 'closed loop' of a landing legs but you don't have that option with a mini. Yes the P3 did lift the other but it was a straight up and down experiment, over the lawn, at the end of a flight, so the rescuer had a "getting low battery" and I got maximum battery load or similar warnings almost immediately.
With a P3 you might also be able to foul hook a prop but with such easily collapsable props on the mini I'd guess the chances of that are slim.
The rescues of mini type drones using another drone that I have seen on youtube involved multiple temporary snags of the drone being rescued to drag that drone across a roof and then letting it fall ( not ideal). I might have seen one where the drone was blown off a roof and another where a magnet was used (I doubt this is a good idea).
The second problem is the likely length of time for which the rescue drone would have to carry the rescued mini. I think the rescue drone would need to have a maximum payload well above the weight of the mini so as to avoid cooking things inside the rescuer during a long duration flight back to safety.
I think a Phantom 3 could do it and maybe a mavic 2 Pro/Zoom but it could be an expensive experiment with the latter if things went wrong, I haven't a clue about any other drones.
It wasn't so much a typo, as a fuzzy memory. It was 11XX. And it's not the same every time I bump into it.

TCS

Air serie model should certainly do.
Mavic Pro is capable to lifting its own weight and that's likely common in higher up models.
That is *SO* cool!

Maybe I'll need to get one of the larger ones, and then do the higher elevation land/restart test with the Mini-2. If I fit the Mini-2 with a ring for the hook to grad, in advance, a rescue should then be a piece of cake!

:)

thx,

TCS

It won't.

Only a few things
I wonder if the barometric sensors aren't calibrated properly for a launch altitude of 5200 ft? That would explain why the max elevation numbers I'm getting are well below 1640 ft.

Does anybody know?

Thx,

TCS

If you are referring to the 500m thing, ..................why?
Yes I can see that it limits some folks that fly, legally, up mountains etc. but unfortunately there are also folks who do vertical climbs into manned aircraft air space.
Besides at a height of 500m the drone must be getting near the limit of most folks VLOS, a Mavic Mini or Mini 2 can be difficult enough to spot at a height of 120m let alone 500m.
If anything I can foresee the 500m ceiling being reduced.
It's always bad policy to limit everyone because of the actions of a few.

Find the Bad Actors, and whack 'em! Don't restrict people who act responsibly.

Perhaps RID will help with this. Or, alternatively, a mechanism for the drone to determine actual AGL height in real time, and then just add 400 ft to that as the limit.

Not soon in either case...

Thx,

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair