DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Measuring distance to airports

Snoweman

Reactions
How do you measure the distance to an airport? Is it to the SIDA fence? Is it the end of the nearest runway? If it's the SIDA fence, what about uncontrolled airports?

I use an app called AirMap, that tells you what airspace and what restrictions are in place based on your location. There are other apps like it....

How do you measure the distance to an airport? Is it to the SIDA fence? Is it the end of the nearest runway? If it's the SIDA fence, what about uncontrolled airports?
Legally, the airports location is the "geographic center" of the airport. That is what the 5 miles is based on.
You can google the airport and get its lat/long, plot it on a sectional chart, plot the location you are measuring to, and measure the mileage using the latitude hacks on the chart.
More simply, you can plot your position and measure to the center of the airport symbol on the chart.

Interesting... If I map the edge of my flight area and measure the distance to the SIDA fence, it says I am 5.1 miles away. The center of the airport would be more than that distance. AirMap says I am well within the the five mile distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji