DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mechanical v. Rolling Electronic Shutter: Same image quality?

floyd

Reactions
I currently have the Phantom 4 Pro and love it... except for one thing: It's a pain to drag everywhere! As an old-school still photographer, I love that I can adjust the aperture and it has a mechanical shutter.

So when I read the MP2 would have the same sensor as my Phantom 4P and have an adjustable aperture AND be much more portable, I pulled the credit card from my wallet. Then I learned the shutter on the MP2 is an electronic rolling shutter, not mechanical. After doing some web research, it appears (in theory) the mechanical shutter will yield superior still images (I usually print 16x20).

Am I splitting hairs here, or, all other things equal, will the P4P provide better printed still images than the MP2?

Mechanical will yield better results, but:

1) If you're not flying fast, there really is no difference. The problem was sensor readout speeds, slow speeds = wonky images when flying fast. The new sony sensors with onboard DRAM should have much much better readout speeds, reducing this effect
2) Mechanical shutter would have made the gimbal much larger, possibly not fitting into the mavic 2 profile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upandbeyond