DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metal take-off pad not a good idea.

webfishnz

Reactions
Hi all - just a very quick suggestion after today's flight. I'm pretty new to drones and have had me first (Air) for about 6 months. Everything has gone smoothly.

Today, the device was green for go with a strong GPS and ready to fly. I looked around for a smooth flat take-off surface. and for the first time placed the Air on the bonnet of my 4WD ... BAD idea. The compass went into meltdown. I had a couple of goes at calibrating the compass and she was ready to again.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion to anyone out there novice or otherwise. Keep clear of large metal objects before flight.

This is mentioned in the manual...

There are also several other interesting insights in there, if you'd care to read it ;P

Reactions: Kilrah
Hi all - just a very quick suggestion after today's flight. I'm pretty new to drones and have had me first (Air) for about 6 months. Everything has gone smoothly.

Today, the device was green for go with a strong GPS and ready to fly. I looked around for a smooth flat take-off surface. and for the first time placed the Air on the bonnet of my 4WD ... BAD idea. The compass went into meltdown. I had a couple of goes at calibrating the compass and she was ready to again.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion to anyone out there novice or otherwise. Keep clear of large metal objects before flight.
Sorry, but YOU DID WHAT???!!!! But thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Yeah, okay sounds stupid in hindsight.

I have read the manual .... to a point. But heck, if you read every word and managed to absorb it all you'd never spend time in the air. :)

Reactions: Goof
Many of us don't dare to test what happens if we use a metal surface for takeoff.

So, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: shotes

Why did you recalibrate the compass ? Did it not self correct when you moved it way from the metal object ? Or did you recalibrate the compass and launched from the metal bonnet [emoji52]

FYI - You can land in the bed of your truck. I do it all the time.

I've landed the P4 in mine a few times out of necessity (too many rocks or other debris on the ground) without issue, though my car has a wooden bed. Guess the rear diff, tray sides and chassis aren't enough to annoy the compass.

Big heavy lump of cast iron that comprises the engine might be a different story though, but I'll be damned if I'd drop a drone on my bonnet :mad:

Why did you recalibrate the compass ? Did it not self correct when you moved it way from the metal object ? Or did you recalibrate the compass and launched from the metal bonnet [emoji52]
I've had to recalibrate after trying to take off on a dirt road. Sometimes it just needs it

Yeah, I kinda want to say "DUH", but glad you were able to avoid a catastrophe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18