DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metering/Focusing Switch?

Barbara

Premium Pilot
Reactions
One of the default options for programming the 5D pad is an option: "Metering/Focusing Switch". As far as I can tell, this is only effective when the camera is in Photo Mode. I can't tell if it does anything in Video mode. Anyone know more about this function?

I have nothing in the manuals about it.

Reactions: JooB
One of the default options for programming the 5D pad is an option: "Metering/Focusing Switch". As far as I can tell, this is only effective when the camera is in Photo Mode. I can't tell if it does anything in Video mode. Anyone know more about this function?

I have nothing in the manuals about it.
Great question. I seem to only have the option in photo mode. That does not mean it's not there as I am just starting to learn the basics of photography. I'm still learning about the exposure triangle thing.

Great question. I seem to only have the option in photo mode. That does not mean it's not there as I am just starting to learn the basics of photography. I'm still learning about the exposure triangle thing.
Actually, I found something. I was typing in the search terms backwards. It's focusing/metereing. According to the manual it only works in manual focus. Yet when I try the switch, it works regardless of whether or I'm in manual or auto focus. But only in photograph, not video, far as I can tell.

Could it be the manuals aren't up to date. The one on DJI's website is dated 2017. The M2Z was released in 2018...........hmmmm

Actually, I found something. I was typing in the search terms backwards. It's focusing/metereing. According to the manual it only works in manual focus. Yet when I try the switch, it works regardless of whether or I'm in manual or auto focus. But only in photograph, not video, far as I can tell.

Could it be the manuals aren't up to date. The one on DJI's website is dated 2017. The M2Z was released in 2018...........hmmmm
The latest manual I found was July 2020
DJI could definitely use some help with their manual writing. They could also use some help with their firmware/software package updater. Other than that everything has been great.

Ok, did a little of playing around with this and dug up some information. Spot Meter
Only works in photo mode auto. The link explains it very well. You can go from metering to focus very quickly by tapping. I only had an an issue going from spot metering to center metering. Seems I had to tap several times to get it to change.

Reactions: JooB and Barbara
Ok, did a little of playing around with this and dug up some information. Spot Meter
Only works in photo mode auto. The link explains it very well. You can go from metering to focus very quickly by tapping. I only had an an issue going from spot metering to center metering. Seems I had to tap several times to get it to change.
Thanks for finding and sharing that. Will have to do a little experimentation tomorrow.

Reactions: Otisangb
Thanks a lot to both of you for the question and of cause for the answer and the link!
You never stop learning... I will try this feature when the clouds and the wind are gone here in Germany.
Looks like it can give us a boost especially with HDR photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCholdings