DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro SD cards, how do you store them?

20NINE

Reactions
Evening all,

Sorting out all of my memory cards and how I organise them, and I thought I’d throw a thread up for discussion.

Micro SD cards, how do you store them?

Now, SD cards are easy, there are countless good solutions to suit all budgets and desires, I use a LowePro S&F Memory Wallet 20, but Micro SD cards just aren’t as well catered to.

I’ve used small makeup pots, individual MSD cases, MSD to SD card converters but not found a case I really like.

The Pelican one would be great if it was just Micro SD. Cases like this infuriate me because they’re optimised for SD and MSD is an afterthought.

These credit card sized holders are perfect for carrying more micro SD cards than you need in your drone case.
i-hhbjm5f-M.jpg

Um, I only have 2 cards, one is still in its blister packaging, haven't had to use it yet. The one I'm using goes straight back in the drone after I've offloaded it to my MacBook and then to the NAS

I then reformat it straight away, ready to go either immediately or next time the wind and temperature are right which hasn't been often lately.

But I do fly only on my own property (so far) so it's easy for me to do.

The Pelican one would be great if it was just Micro SD. Cases like this infuriate me because they’re optimised for SD and MSD is an afterthought.
Holds both micro sd and SD cards. I have a similar one... love it!

Same pelican case here. For me it seems like overkill, but I wanted some overhead to expand into, should the need arise.

Hey everyone, thanks for the input!

I'm surprised LowePro and similar don't offer something more tailored to MSD given how the action camera and drone markets have expanded in the last 10 years.

Personally, I'm keen to avoid cases that allocate space to SD cards when I store those elsewhere. The credit card style options look like they have good potential, and they can sometimes store an MSD to SD adapter too which is handy.

If only GPC products were more widely available here in the UK...

Luke

I stored one of my Micro SD cards in the bottom of a river for 9 months inside my original Mavic Pro before I was able to retrieve it :p Believe it or not, all the files were intact, with the exception of the very last flight when I hit the water. The file was corrupt because the recording was improperly stopped when I hit the water.

I stored one of my Micro SD cards in the bottom of a river for 9 months inside my original Mavic Pro before I was able to retrieve it :p Believe it or not, all the files were intact, with the exception of the very last flight when I hit the water. The file was corrupt because the recording was improperly stopped when I hit the water.
That’s a good effort!

Not sure if MicroSD was an afterthought or not, but I think it was always part of the equation during design. It certainly is a compromise since it's meant to store the large standard SD cards, in addition to mini SD cards.

I only have 4 MicroSD cards presently, from 128 to 512, which is more than plenty enough for all my videography and photography needs in a full day of shooting. I usually offload everything at the end of the day.

If I ever surpass the 6 MicroSD slots, all my MicroSD cards are Samsung EVO's which came with an SD adapter so I could use those adapters to store them in the plentiful SD slots (in fact, I currently store those adapters in empty SD slots).

I do like that credit card storage thingy for its compactness! But as I have both Micro and standard SD cards, the Pelican is better suited for my needs.

The credit card storage devices come with slots for Micro, or for full SD, or a mix.
Here is one that is 4 micro and 2 SD: https://www.amazon.com/Holder-Stora...d9efd7&pd_rd_wg=yKBz2&pd_rd_i=B07T6SWXK5&th=1

If I ever need additional storage, this is something I may try it out, however I just realized that I keep all my devices loaded with their respective MicroSD cards after I offload media so in reality, I only have one "free" MicroSD card that ever needs to be stored at any given time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots