DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro SD

Cabo Wabo

Reactions
In the manual it says to use a 64 gig micro SD card, I just purchase a SanDisk 128 gig extreme plus micro SD, does it hurt to have a larger capacity card?

What he ? said. I usually use 64GB on my Mavic Air and Mavic Pro, and 128GB on my M2P, M2ED, P4P and I1P Just because I tend to take larger video and photos with these drones.

Reactions: Cabo Wabo
I change cards when I change batteries to prevent image/video loss in a worst scenario.
I use 32 and 64GB cards as either is enough for. Any flight. I reformat in the bird after saving the files to my computer.
The 128 will function fine.

Good move, the extreme is necessary for the faster write speed if you wish to video in 4K. Also, the advice from Thomas B in post #4 is more good advice. I, too, prefer to use one card per battery! Drone on!

Reactions: Cabo Wabo
I just purchase a SanDisk 128 gig extreme plus micro SD, does it hurt to have a larger capacity card?
As long as it works, it won't hurt anything to use a memory card with a larger capacity.

I understand the argument that if you have a larger memory card you have more to lose.

However, it is faulty logic to then use only smaller cards.

Why?

Because the real issue is data loss, and the only way to prevent that is to have the video in more than one place. So, when I return from flying, everything gets transferred to a hard disk drive. After editing, the final gets put on yet another drive.

The other reason is that I would NEVER rely on a memory card for long-term storage, whether it is 1 GB or 256 GB. I've done a lot of research over the past twenty-five years about how to archive digital media so it lasts for 100 years (or more). Solid state memory technology used by SSDs, SD cards, "thumb drives," etc. is not going to hack it if you want to look at things in 20-30 years.

So use a big memory card so you don't have to worry about running out of space, and so you are not tempted to use an inferior video setting for fear of running out of space.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54