DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Microlight airfield without NFZ

lrminise

Reactions
Hi All, I found a nice location I'd like to get some footage with my drone, however it's close to a microlight airfield. On checking drone assist it isn't flagged as a no fly zone, it just mentions the airfield and is marked in yellow as per the attached link. I plan to fly in the zone i've circled in purple, would this be seen as an issues or is it all above board?

IMG-20221231-122853

The danger, as I’m sure yr aware is that microlights fly at similar altitudes to drones. The only defense I’ve found is listening carefully & of course keeping yr drone VLOS at all times. The one plus is that microlights usefully have noisy motors & you can hear them from a distance.

Microlights are noisey to an extent, however since they can fly at 100mph and the new 4 cylinder 4 stroke engines are much quieter, there is a concern if you are flying near a flying field, that you won't hear them approaching, especially if you are upwind of an aircraft. They have the same rights as anything that has a pilot in the cockpit and you'll need to be careful because quite often they are flying low for some fun, but generally are up several thousand feet for most of the flights.

The problem is that the trike/Flex-wing type are more or less open cockpit and a hit in the body or face at 100mph will cause injury to the pilot and possible complete incapacitation. Therefore, do be very careful if you are flying near an airfield. Even the 3-axis fixed wing type have rather thin windshields, and many have tube and fabric wings which are a little more delicate than a metal wing, in a collision. It's best if you visit and speak with the head flight instructor, or whomever is in charge of the airfield and work with them, regarding your flying.

Reactions: lrminise
The danger, as I’m sure yr aware is that microlights fly at similar altitudes to drones. The only defense I’ve found is listening carefully & of course keeping yr drone VLOS at all times. The one plus is that microlights usefully have noisy motors & you can hear them from a distance.
Actually Microlights are what are called light Sport Aircraft now, in the USA. A relatively new catergory for the FAA., compared to the old standard GA type aircraft. And these types of aircraft, Microlights and LSA, rarely fly at drone altitude, they are up in the few thousand feet level in general flight. Ultralights may be around that altitude in flying but they are specific to the USA, they don't exist in the UK or Europe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580