DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Midwest road trip suggestions

MikeyST1957

Reactions
Hey guys...older guy thinking of maybe taking a road trip... could use suggestions
just getting back into flying...
Feel most comfortable right now in wide open spaces, less people he better . would like to try video
( older mavic pro, spark, mini2)

i live in Chicago, so I could make North Dakota in a two day drive ? ( I know badlands is national park so off-limits...heard it looks like the moon)

I’d really like to see the Rockies, but that’s pretty far and most likely federal park also

a lot of the 500 mile radius of Chicago can be pretty flat

Upper Michigan is not too far I guess

I know it’s a really vague question.... just thought of throwing my stuff in the car, grabbing coffee and taking a couple covid safe days on the road to get out and fly and get used to the equipment
Mike

Thanks guys.
the Mississippi fascinates me

yearsago we used To go to keokuk to see bald eagles

I’ve never flown over water

is there anyway to flyover badlands?
Can you take off outside, fly over and land outside ?

Duluth, Minnesota is pretty cool. The old lakeside industrial area is amazing, a few hills (mountains for Minnesota standards) to make it interesting. Wisconsin side is really cool too.

You could also look into the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin, absolutely incredible.

Reactions: Capt. Paradise
Thanks guys.
I also love Lake Superior. Spent lots of time in the U.P.
So Duluth might be really cool
I’m going to research that and also apostle islands

it’s hard for me.... ( old guy)
My favorite stuff is driving and exploring... then find a local dive bar at night. I always found it’s great way to meet locals....
But I just don’t think that’s virus safe yet.
soon maybe

My idea has also been to get in the car and start driving. Something about the journey more interesting than the destination?

But since you asked for specifics. Mesa Verde National Park is nice. Perhaps a bit of a drive but once you are in the area there are many other destinations in the vicinity. Also, a great time of year regarding the weather in the southwest USA.

Good luck !

In Illinois, consider the Shawnee National Forest. Pounds Hollow, Garden of the Gods, Lusk Creek Canyon, Burden Falls, etc. Lots of 50-80 foot cliffs, boulders, shelter bluffs, etc. Especially beautiful during fall colors.

Thanks guys.
the Mississippi fascinates me

yearsago we used To go to keokuk to see bald eagles

I’ve never flown over water

is there anyway to flyover badlands?
Can you take off outside, fly over and land outside ?
There are plenty of backroads around the ND badlands that are not in the NP. I'm thinking of taking a trip out there soon myself. Unfortunately, there have bee some large wildfires in that area, so many of the hills are black. The area is in a serious drought. If you go, please be very careful with fire. Its a beautiful part of ND...Teddy Roosevelt said he would not have been president if it were not for the time he lived in the ND badlands.

That’s what I was kind of hoping about the badlands. Maybe I could skirt the outside of the park?

BTW - Badlands is in South Dakota - not North Dakota - as well as the "Black Hills." That being said - as long as you take off and land outside of any National Park - you can "usually" fly in the airspace - remaining in VLOS of course. Doubtful you'd get much of the Badlands Park doing that, but I did get some nice pics and videos flying outside of Grand Teton NP. Mountains like that can be done miles away and still be really nice. I have also done that along the Blue Ridge Parkway - which is a NP, but most of it is very narrow and has many public roads running parallel to it.

You will also have to verify whether the state(s) you fly in have laws against flying in State Parks - like Georgia does.

Head south - TN / NC / Upstate SC have hundreds of waterfalls that are great for droning. Some are in state parks that also have no drone rules for that park - so be aware. Have an app like KittyHawk or Airmap to show you those known no fly areas.

Will be doing anther USA Roadtrip out west and up into the NW soon and WILL HAVE both my Air2 and Mini (just in case). Many wonderful areas not in National or State Parks that you can drone and I hope to do a lot if it.

I have also done that along the Blue Ridge Parkway - which is a NP, but most of it is very narrow and has many public roads running parallel to it.
Seeing you mention the Blue Ridge parkway reminds me of this question I have.

I know it is a NP, but that road is such a long road from start to end. So, do you know if one can fly on some portions of it? Or does one have to find a public road close to it and take off from there and get into its air space?

I have a road trip coming up and I want to take some drone shots of Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That famous curvy part of the parkway that has that iconic picture

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
BTW - Badlands is in South Dakota - not North Dakota - as well as the "Black Hills." That being said - as long as you take off and land outside of any National Park - you can "usually" fly in the airspace - remaining in VLOS of course. Doubtful you'd get much of the Badlands Park doing that, but I did get some nice pics and videos flying outside of Grand Teton NP. Mountains like that can be done miles away and still be really nice. I have also done that along the Blue Ridge Parkway - which is a NP, but most of it is very narrow and has many public roads running parallel to it.

You will also have to verify whether the state(s) you fly in have laws against flying in State Parks - like Georgia does.

Head south - TN / NC / Upstate SC have hundreds of waterfalls that are great for droning. Some are in state parks that also have no drone rules for that park - so be aware. Have an app like KittyHawk or Airmap to show you those known no fly areas.

Will be doing anther USA Roadtrip out west and up into the NW soon and WILL HAVE both my Air2 and Mini (just in case). Many wonderful areas not in National or State Parks that you can drone and I hope to do a lot if it.

BTW...North Dakota also has badlands. The national park in ND is call Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Theodore Roosevelt National Park (U.S. National Park Service) More varied landscape in ND than SD.

Reactions: tlswift58
I’m actually thinking of doing it in a couple weeks
We’re not doing so great money-wise since the virus....
But I’m figuring I need a real cheap road trip just to “ be” for a few days and take pictures and fly

I know all the small things($) can add up

but nothing like getting up early and driving and exploring

Seeing you mention the Blue Ridge parkway reminds me of this question I have.

I know it is a NP, but that road is such a long road from start to end. So, do you know if one can fly on some portions of it? Or does one have to find a public road close to it and take off from there and get into its air space?

I have a road trip coming up and I want to take some drone shots of Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That famous curvy part of the parkway that has that iconic picture
As in ALL NP's - taking off and landing is verboten - 110%.

Like I flew Linn Cove Viaduct, but was from a public side road - 221 - that goes from Blowing Rock over to Grandfathers Mountain. It is maybe 1/4 mile from the launch point to the viaduct. There is a big pull off at the right spot - maybe 3-4 miles from the BRP at Linn Cove / Grandfather Mountain.

While I was there, several droners showed up, but they did not get to fly as the winds kicked up that day. I'd already gotten mine and had landed before that.

If you do a Google Map in terrain view - it is almost directly south of the viaduct on 221. Can't miss it.

From my investigation and deep digging - spots like Skinny Dip Falls - are not within the BRP boundaries - but slightly outside of them - since the boundaries are maybe 1/4 - 1/2 mile wide in some spots. Much more at others, so you have to be very aware of where you are.

When I flew off 221 - I did not get any kind of notifications that I can remember from DJI like you can / do get near NP's / restricted airspace. If you do get a notification - FOLLOW IT to the letter and maybe move to another location.

Reactions: NDWildBill

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d