DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Min2 and Android phone in "Plane" mode is-it possible ?

laurent45

Reactions
Hi every Mini 2 pilot
I have only 1 android phone that I will use for flying the Mini2. That is why there are many other apps on it too.
In order to give DJI app the maximum of CPU, I was thinking for example to switch to "Plane" mode, but maybe it can cause other issues.
I tried to look in the forum for pre-flights .. I saw some but could not any instructions related to the smartphone itself.
Thanks in advance

I also have an Android phone and I fly in airplane mode. Not one issue until now!
I also have flown with the phone in normal operation mode, I have received some phone calls. Never had any kind of problems.

Hi every Mini 2 pilot
I have only 1 android phone that I will use for flying the Mini2. That is why there are many other apps on it too.
In order to give DJI app the maximum of CPU, I was thinking for example to switch to "Plane" mode, but maybe it can cause other issues.
I tried to look in the forum for pre-flights .. I saw some but could not any instructions related to the smartphone itself.
Thanks in advance
I use my phone in Airplane mode exclusively when using it with the Mini 2. Airplane mode on. I still leave WiFi on usually when flying around the property, but it would also be fine if it were off too.
If you enable developer options in system settings, you can limit the number of apps that run in the background, freeing up resources for the DJI app.

My android has no sim card. So I fly exclusively on airplane mode.

I just use wifi.

No problems so far.
Me too.
I'm fortunate to have a phone specifically just for the controller. No phone SIM just a decent memory card for the cache. I only have the DJI FLY app and no other apps other than already the installed ones.

I understand that not everyone can afford to do this but it keeps the phone free of stuff.

Reactions: icecoldgin
Airplane mode or not won't make any difference to the altitude you can fly at.
It would have been something completely unrelated that caused that.
Every single time this solves my problem. Also advised by DJI support.

So on this one you are wrong.

That makes absolutely no logical sense. Whether or not you have wifi or cellular service will not effect altitudes.

This is why it never crossed my mind before DJI telling me to do that.

And boom! Magic. It works every single time.

If I forget -> 30 meters limit.

They mentioned there could be a problem with the service provider and VPN, and stuff.

In China there is a limitation of 30 meters by law. And probably DJI is imposing this limit everytime it senses any trace of VPN tunneling.

That's the only logical explanation.

Regardless, I coudn't care less. I put the phone in airplane mode and I don't get any disturbances during the flight.

Every single time this solves my problem. Also advised by DJI support.

So on this one you are wrong.
I'm not wrong on this.
I understand what can and can't affect your flying altitude.
It wouldn't be the first time that DJI support people have given incorrect advice.
Most have never flown a drone and just read scripts.
As a source of accurate information they have proved to be as (un)reliable as forums.
They mentioned there could be a problem with the service provider and VPN, and stuff.
In China there is a limitation of 30 meters by law. And probably DJI is imposing this limit everytime it senses any trace of VPN tunneling.
None of that makes any sense.
DJI drones fly all day, every day with or without any internet data connection, and without a glitch.
That's the only logical explanation.

Except there's no logic to it at all.
You're the only person to have reported this, it affects no-one else.
Like I mentioned earlier, there's something completely different causing the issue.

Buddy, ok, do what you wish and what makes sense to you.

I am telling you (actually not to you but to the forum) what works :)

Buddy, ok, do what you wish and what makes sense to you.

I am telling you (actually not to you but to the forum) what works :)
If it actually worked that way, anyone else would have the same issue.
But they don't.
There is nothing at all about having the phone in/out of airplane mode that can possibly have any effect on the drone's height.

Not everyone, because there are different countries, different mobile providers.

But many others solved the same problem the same way.

Not everyone, because there are different countries, different mobile providers.
The mobile provider has nothing to do with it.
The country has nothing to do with it.
There is no way that your phone or provider can be limiting your altitude.
It's just not possible.
The issue is caused by something completely unrelated.
But many others solved the same problem the same way.
In six years on the forums, I've not heard of anyone else making the same claim.
I very much doubt that anyone else has solved the same problem the same way, but would be very interested to see proof of that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD