DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 - DJI Fly App - Is Internet needed ?

laurent45

Reactions
Hi MM2 pilots,

As I have not made my 1st MM2 maiden flight, I am checking everything and reading a lot before.
I planned to use a specific Android smartphone (as DJI Fly can be installed on it) to fly the MM2, but with NO SIM card, so no direct internet access.
Because I use the SIM Card for my other work-related smarthone.
Using my home WIFI, I have already installed the app, updated the app and MM2 firmware, associate my DJI account with MM2 and controller.
But now I have doubts. Because for example the map on the DJI Fly app, might need internet access to be updated, etc....
So :
- do I need to put my SIM card on the smartphone where DJI Fly is installed ?
- or can I connect the DJI Fly smartphone to the WIFI on my work smartphone, so that it can get internet access,
- or I worry for nothing :)

Thanks for your help

But now I have doubts. Because for example the map on the DJI Fly app, might need internet access to be updated, etc....
So :
- do I need to put my SIM card on the smartphone where DJI Fly is installed ?
NO ... there is no need for internet data to fly your drone.
- or can I connect the DJI Fly smartphone to the WIFI on my work smartphone, so that it can get internet access,
You can hotspot from a phone if you need internet data for anything (but it's not required to fly).

Reactions: maggior
While connected to the internet, you can bring up the map of the area you plan to fly if you want to use the map. DJI Fly doesn't use google maps so you have to cache the map within DJI Fly.

It's not the most elegant solution but it has worked for me so far. I've been flying a MA2 for a month now.

Aside from that, the hotspot suggestion from above works also.

I use an ipad mini5 wifi only to fly with my ma2. I set my phone up as a hotspot so I can have the maps as needed. Works great. The only thing I need the internet connection for is the maps. I do all the updating, etc. at home using my home wifi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22