DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini 2 flyaway

Reactions: GFields and OUTBACK
mini 2 flyaway or a mind of its own
If you want some assistance in figuring out what happened and how to avoid it happening in the future, post a description of the incident and your flight log. The instructions for posting flight logs are in post #3.

There's usually a good explanation for what happened.

Reactions: mavictk and dozzn
mini 2 flyaway or a mind of its own
This comment goes out to no one in particular. I’m REALLY dis satisfied that I just bought an MA2 for like close to $800 bucks and I’m reading about these “non toy” drones flying away !
Sorry, I wouldn’t be surprised if a sub $100 drone did this BUT, if I’m gonna spend big bucks on a DJI drone ( considered to be among the best ), I’m NOT paying for this thing to fly away on me. I know, I know, there can still be pilot error, but cmon !

This comment goes out to no one in particular. I’m REALLY dis satisfied that I just bought an MA2 for like close to $800 bucks and I’m reading about these “non toy” drones flying away !
Sorry, I wouldn’t be surprised if a sub $100 drone did this BUT, if I’m gonna spend big bucks on a DJI drone ( considered to be among the best ), I’m NOT paying for this thing to fly away on me. I know, I know, there can still be pilot error, but cmon !
One thing to consider is that these drones are unlikely to just fly away on their own. Generally, there will be pilot error, pilot ignoring early warnings, or pilot not performing a full pre-flight check.
You are extremely unlikely to experience such a flyaway if your are prudent and learn about all issues in advance. The posting should give you an opportunity to learn what not to do and how to analyze your our flight data. It's not like flying a toy.

One thing to consider is that these drones are unlikely to just fly away on their own. Generally, there will be pilot error, pilot ignoring early warnings, or pilot not performing a full pre-flight check.
You are extremely unlikely to experience such a flyaway if your are prudent and learn about all issues in advance. The posting should give you an opportunity to learn what not to do and how to analyze your our flight data. It's not like flying a toy.
This.

Experienced and knowledgeable pilots generally don't worry about fly aways because they:
1. Know their aircraft by reading the manual
2. Choose suitable environments/locations for takeoff/landing and flight
3. Watch the weather
4. Pay attention to any and all warnings that are displayed.
5. Check their RTH settings and pay attention to the homepoint being recorded before takeoff.

It's not rocket science but it does depend on some investment of time.

This.

Experienced and knowledgeable pilots generally don't worry about fly aways because they:
1. Know their aircraft by reading the manual
2. Choose suitable environments/locations for takeoff/landing and flight
3. Watch the weather
4. Pay attention to any and all warnings that are displayed.
5. Check their RTH settings and pay attention to the homepoint being recorded before takeoff.

It's not rocket science but it does depend on some investment of time.
Reply to the last 2 posts….
Exactly. These things “should” be taken into account before liftoff. What bums me out is that there’s still SOOOO many posts of fly always ! It makes you wonder if there’s still things that regardless, are out of our control (?) IDK. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: mavictk and OUTBACK
Agreed totally.
In my case:
1-Flyaway one P2Z (5 years ago) strong interference from 300 ft FCC repeater mast 400 feet way I later confirmed with Hack RF strong signals in same range
2-Flyaway two Mini 1 (3 years ago) 50 mph wind located 50-100 feet above my loaction I should have check wind altitude maps.

Reactions: mavictk and OUTBACK
Exactly. These things “should” be taken into account before liftoff. What bums me out is that there’s still SOOOO many posts of fly always ! It makes you wonder if there’s still things that regardless, are out of our control (?) IDK. Thanks for the insight.
No because probably 99.5 percent of flyaways happen because those 5 points weren't followed. Anything else is hardware/FC failure and not truly a flyaway scenario.

Reactions: IronSky1
With a tiny handful of exceptions related to actual hardware faults, the dozens of "fly away" reports I've read on this forum and elsewhere are simply pilot error. They could have easily been avoided.

"These things “should” be taken into account before liftoff"

No, those things MUST be taken into account if you don't want your drone to "fly away." And other common sense things like watching the battery meter so that you don't fly the drone until it's two miles downwind with a 10% battery level.

"I’m NOT paying for this thing to fly away on me."

There are no fool-proof drones on the market at any price. There's a very small chance of a hardware fault that leads to a problem. Everything else is in the hands of the pilot.

What bums me out is that there’s still SOOOO many posts of fly always ! It makes you wonder if there’s still things that regardless, are out of our control (?) IDK. Thanks for the insight.

If you read these types of posts to their conclusion you will discover a few things. First, the title is an interpretation (in many but not all cases), of what happened by a pilot that most likely does not fully understand what the chain of events were, that led to the aircraft's crash or loss.

Second, there are extremely detailed logs being written during flight that when analyzed by competent folks (we have a number of them on this forum), the specifics and true cause of the incident can be found and; it is rarely what the posts title suggests.

And lastly, by reading these threads to their conclusion, one can get a better understanding of the types of seemingly insignificant occurrences, that can go un-noticed to unsuspecting pilots that can and do lead to a crash or loss.

Very little is out of our control and while true equipment failures can, and do happen, they are extremely rare. Unfortunately our entry fee, whether is eight hundred or eight thousand dollars is no barrier to failure because 99% of the time it is we pilot's that fail.

If you read these types of posts to their conclusion you will discover a few things. First, the title is an interpretation (in many but not all cases), of what happened by a pilot that most likely does not fully understand what the chain of events were, that led to the aircraft's crash or loss.

Second, there are extremely detailed logs being written during flight that when analyzed by competent folks (we have a number of them on this forum), the specifics and true cause of the incident can be found and; it is rarely what the posts title suggests.

And lastly, by reading these threads to their conclusion, one can get a better understanding of the types of seemingly insignificant occurrences, that can go un-noticed to unsuspecting pilots that can and do lead to a crash or loss.

Very little is out of our control and while true equipment failures can, and do happen, they are extremely rare. Unfortunately our entry fee, whether is eight hundred or eight thousand dollars is no barrier to failure because 99% of the time it is we pilot's that fail.
All points well taken.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Except for rare genuine hardware failures, drones don't fly away.
Without understanding what's actually happened, users might think they do.
Reading incident reports here is a good way to learn about things that can go wrong and how to make sure they don't.

Here's a forum search for "yaw error" that should give a good idea of what they are and how to prevent them,

Reactions: djwak59
Except for rare genuine hardware failures, drones don't fly away.
Without understanding what's actually happened, users might think they do.
Reading incident reports here is a good way to learn about things that can go wrong and how to make sure they don't.

Here's a forum search for "yaw error" that should give a good idea of what they are and how to prevent them,
HI I THINK I LOST propeller and it made it go out of control

HI I THINK I LOST propeller and it made it go out of control
A drone which loses a prop doesn't fly away.
It can't fly and just spirals downwards.

Yours was a victim of a yaw error as was explained in the original thread.
Where did you power up/launch from?
What steel was within a couple of feet of it?

Reactions: mavictk
A drone which loses a prop doesn't fly away.
It can't fly and just spirals downwards.

Yours was a victim of a yaw error as was explained in the original thread.
Where did you power up/launch from?
What steel was within a couple of feet of it?
yes of the back tray of the farm Ute but i have done that about 40 times and had no trouble

We should stop using the term "flyaway", as has been explained countless times here by the experts, it very rarely happens, it's usually pilot error, yaw error or wind, all which get called "flyaway". I have only flown the Mini and am amazed with it. Stay safe and Happy flying.

What do you consider a fly away?

If someone switches their drone on in an area of magnetic interference such that the compass is skewed and the drone gets all confused when away from the interference, is that a fly away or pilot error - through not checking indicated headings etc.?

I wouldn't consider that a flyaway.

True flyaways are few and far between but people like to 'scream' flyaway at the first suspicion of there being something wrong. Whereas what they should do is get the logs analysed and see what happened before opinions are put forward.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+