DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 gimbal pointed straight down -- maximum speed reduced?

chakalakasp

Reactions
It seems like the maximum forward speed of the drone (in normal mode) decreases markedly when the gimbal is pointed straight down. Is this just me imagining things or is this a real phenomenon? If it's real, is it due to wind resistance or something? (That'd really be something such a small change in a control surface caused that much additional drag, but perhaps with a drone this small being aerodynamic is more important). Or does it limit forward speed because the drone is trying not to tilt forward as much in order to effect the straight down view? (Presumably this could be compensated for just by auto-panning the gimbal up a bit?)

It seems like the maximum forward speed of the drone (in normal mode) decreases markedly when the gimbal is pointed straight down. Is this just me imagining things or is this a real phenomenon? If it's real, is it due to wind resistance or something? (That'd really be something such a small change in a control surface caused that much additional drag, but perhaps with a drone this small being aerodynamic is more important). Or does it limit forward speed because the drone is trying not to tilt forward as much in order to effect the straight down view? (Presumably this could be compensated for just by auto-panning the gimbal up a bit?)
Check your MPH when fling the drone with the gimbal up, then check MPH with gimbal down and see...

Its a real thing... its in the manual and has the potential to cause a flyaway. There are two other recent threads on the board with some detailed info.

There are several recent threads concerning this and the possibility of the drone being blown away in 'gentle wind' as a consequence. It seem's to affect the MM too, though I have yet to test it properly, and a quick flight yesterday suggests that the limitation is removed in "strong winds", as intended.

There are several recent threads concerning this and the possibility of the drone being blown away in 'gentle wind' as a consequence. It seem's to affect the MM too, though I have yet to test it properly, and a quick flight yesterday suggests that the limitation is removed in "strong winds", as intended.
If this is true.... then it was fixed in an update. If you check the other threads on this subject there is some YouTube and log evidence that the limitation does not work as intended and is not lifted under even fairly heavy wind conditions. I don't know which software versions they were relying on..... one of the videos was from early on in the Mini 2s release so you can assume it was early firmware.

then it was fixed in an update. I
What is your basis for saying that? What update?
I did a flight yesterday with a MM using version 1.2.4 of the App to test this and the limit seemed to be lifted BUT all the speed tests were conducted in a flight riddled with wind speed warning. Thus no conclusion as to what happens in winds greater than the imposed speed limit but less than "strong" can be drawn.
Before any one asks I do not upload logs to anywhere for public viewing.

It's real, almost had my mini 2 blow away because of it. Didn't know exactly why it did what it did at the time, but after the logs were analyzed and a few other reports of the same issue with others it became evident this was the case. They are supposed to over ride this "feature" when strong winds are encountered, but it didn't go that way for me. Just kept on blowing away.

Screenshot (113).png

OK, so it's only during recording.
It says it will set limit even at 0 (horizontal). Shouldn't there be enough headroom at these angles for required tilt in forward motion?
I get braking or fast backward motion causing gimbal issues when pointing down, but that's it.

OK, so it's only during recording.
It says it will set limit even at 0 (horizontal). Shouldn't there be enough headroom at these angles for required tilt in forward motion?
I get braking or fast backward motion causing gimbal issues when pointing down, but that's it.
Anytime the drone is in in video mode, not just recording. Switch to camera mode and it goes back to normal. I wasn't recording when it happened, I had no idea what was going on. But I know now.

I think the mention of limited speed at 0 degrees camera setting is a mistake, I haven't noticed any reduced speed flying with the camera pointed straight ahead.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman