DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 got wet

Watto600

Reactions
I was flying my mini 2 the other day , all of a sudden there was a huge rain storm out of nowhere, it got soaked , as soon as i got it back I immediately took the battery out got it home and dried it our with a hairdryer on cool setting and left it inside to dry for a good few days , when I felt brave enough I tried the drone , everything seem fine except when it flys around 250m away the signal drops dramatically from strong to weak warnings of weak signal adust antenna fault 80004 come up on display, occasionally loosing signal, other then that its perfect . Any suggestions? Is it ruined? Can it be repaired.?
I love my mini2 I don't have the refresh package as I didn't know about it when I purchased it . So fixing it is my only option. Is there anywhere in the UK I can send it to ?

For future reference the best thing with wet electronics is to pull the battery immediately. Go get a bag of dried rice and submerge it for several days. The rice acts like a desiccant and draws the moisture out. It works really well, and if the device does not survive there was no saving it the damage was already done.

might not hurt to try it in case there is still moisture. Used a can of compressed air to blow the dust out when you are done.

I had a 5000 dollar scan tool get soaked in coolant after a radiator hose ruptured and soaked it. Rice did the trick and I used it for 6 more years until I traded it in.

I dont think the two are related, the Weak module on the Mini 2 is the Esc module and the Main board.

Most likely your weak signal is just normal not having a clear line of sight ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.

I dont think the two are related, the Weak module on the Mini 2 is the Esc module and the Main board.

Most likely your weak signal is just normal not having a clear line of sight ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.
I’ve tried it in several different locations with the handset antenna in the correct position and always the same result

Dry rice is better than nothing, but it's not a good desiccant. From the internet, where truth always prevails :)

"Is rice as good as silica gel?

Rice is most definitely not king

Dry, uncooked conventional rice was the worst of the seven options we tested. It absorbed the least water in 24 hours, losing out to silica gel, cat litter, couscous, instant oatmeal, classic oatmeal and instant rice.May 6, 2014"

The signal bars go orange then red

Attachments

• B4C614E4-5D30-46D7-AFBB-860393E35F53.png
    B4C614E4-5D30-46D7-AFBB-860393E35F53.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 8D6EA057-EFEF-4E19-904B-CE207AD574E9.png
    8D6EA057-EFEF-4E19-904B-CE207AD574E9.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
Is there anyway the front legs could trap water? I don't have a Mini 2 but looking at my Mavic Mini I doubt the legs are water tight but ......
How long is a good few days? I have dried stuff in the airing cupboard or above the hot water tank for a week or more
Did the controller get wet? If so did you dry that off? I ran a vacuum cleaner nozzle over a Mavic mini and its controller when they got caught in a shower.

The signal bars go orange then red
Interesting the signal bars are showing full and at the same time a disconnect, something is not right there.
have you updated your Mini 2 with all the latest firmware, are you using a New Battery ? How long was your Mini in the Pouring Rain ?

Interesting the signal bars are showing full and at the same time a disconnect, something is not right there.
have you updated your Mini 2 with all the latest firmware, are you using a New Battery ? How long was your Mini in the Pouring Rain

t shows the signal bars full , but at the time of flying they drop and turn orange then red , but whenever I replay the flight they don't show any change . It was wet for a good few minutes, a heavy downpour that came from nowhere

Last edited:
You may have water in the front legs.
DJI typically uses the legs for antennas.
For some insight into water events check out drone-retriever.com.
Never use rice as the rice dust is abrasive thus not good for anything mechanical.

You may have water in the front legs.
DJI typically uses the legs for antennas.
For some insight into water events check out drone-retriever.com.
Never use rice as the rice dust is abrasive thus not good for anything mechanical.

Thanks I just unclipted the the small panel on the back of then front legs and there looks like to me two pcbs attached to a wire that goes into the body , I’m assuming these are the antennas , I blew them out with compressed air , just did a test and it flew to 550 m at a height of 120m before the signal got scary bad , so definitely some improvement .

Attachments

• 8C4EC40B-102A-4ACB-B634-246FE1AEA181.png
    8C4EC40B-102A-4ACB-B634-246FE1AEA181.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
You need to go to the lake and fly out with a clear line of sight to determine what your signal is capable of .
This will provide a base that you can work off of.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Watto600
If at all possible, maybe do the test flight with great LOS over land, just to play it safe.
RTH would probably still be ok, but why risk it while testing.

Occusync 2, you should be able to fly far far further than you legally can, but over safe countryside, from a hill for example, you could maybe take it out to where you feel safe taking it normally, or perhaps a km (3300'), see how it goes.

With good LOS from a high point, you can stay a safe low altitude and keep it in good signal range.
If signal gets weak, try turning 180 degrees so the front legs face you, see if that improves a weakening signal.

Good luck with it.

I’ve been here a long time. I’ve seen use rice, rice don’t work.
Use other things,rince it out with this and that. Everyone has a opinion on it. Is One better than the other ?‍♂️
I dunked my M2P in a foot of water once and got to it while you could see the lights blinking. Grasped it took out the battery
and got home and blowed it out with a air hose. Then sprayed it good with electronic cleaner. Let it set for a month and it came back to life and still fly it. Course the battery started swelling
when I flew it so stoped using it except for doing updates.
But it still lives.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk