DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 height in metadata?

Relative and absolute altitude are recorded in the EXIF data.
If I'm reading that right, it means that the absolute altitude data is available for the Mini-2. If that's true, then it should be possible to display absolute altitude with no hardware changes.

Am I reading this right?

Thx,

TCS

If I'm reading that right, it means that the absolute altitude data is available for the Mini-2. If that's true, then it should be possible to display absolute altitude with no hardware changes.
It should be since that's how it is with all other DJI drones.
Post one of your full-size originals and I can confirm whether that is the case.

It should be since that's how it is with all other DJI drones.
Post one of your full-size originals and I can confirm whether that is the case.
OK, I'll have to make that a task. So far, I've only taken vids.

Thx,

TCS

OK, I'll have to make that a task. So far, I've only taken vids.

Thx,

TCS
Accompanying .SRT file contains the video metadata, if you turn on video captions, but it is more limited than the still photo metadata, and may only display relative elevation.

Lightroom is only showing a small part of the full metadata.
If you have problems finding the relative height, post the full-size original image here and someone can get the height you want from it.

I'd rather learn how to be able to do it myself. Is that to say that Lightroom is incapable of showing the relative height metadata and that I need to use a different app for that?

No, you can't change what metadata Lightroom displays or what metadata is recorded for your images.
Lightroom is only displaying one of the two different height/altitude figures that's in the metadata.
But you could change the software you've used to read the metadata and see the whole picture rather than just a small selection.

Ah, okay. I just downloaded ExifTool and checked the metadata in a test image. It does display two values:

Absolute Altitude: +877.26
Relative Altitude: +124.20

It sounds like the Relative Altitude of 124 ft is the actual height?

Like a lot of metadata viewers, Lightroom is only showing you a small part of the metadata.
Here's an example of much (not all) of the metadata from one DJI drone photo:
Note in the panel near the centre, there are tow altitude numbers giver: relative altitude and absolute altitude.
i-3pwPXk9-XL.jpg
Which app is that?

EDIT: Never mind. I found it later in the thread. Picture Information Extractor. It looks like that's mostly a GUI for ExifTool that I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Yes. I was a professional photographer. I'm well-versed in image metadata. I used to have a profile to set the IPTC values and registered my images with the Library of Congress for US copyright protection.

I'm simply stating that it doesn't show up for me regardless of whether it's there or not. Your screens do not look like mine. That is all.

Hopefully this hasn't been a horrible derailment of the OP's question. That wasn't my intent with my original comment.
No problem. This has been an interesting discussion. I assumed that Lightroom was capable of showing everything contained in metadata, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Ah, okay. I just downloaded ExifTool and checked the metadata in a test image. It does display two values:

Absolute Altitude: +877.26
Relative Altitude: +124.20

It sounds like the Relative Altitude of 124 ft is the actual height?
Relative altitude is the height above the takeoff point, estimated barometrically. Absolute altitude is the height above mean sea level, measured by GNSS.

Relative altitude is the height above the takeoff point, estimated barometrically. Absolute altitude is the height above mean sea level, measured by GNSS.
Perfect. It's too bad that Lightroom doesn't show this, but the workaround is easy enough.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok