DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 height in metadata?

Frosty Of The North

Reactions
Does the Mini 2 store the altitude value as reported by DJI Fly anywhere in photo metadata?

I want to go back to a specific location and reshoot a photo at the same altitude as the first time, but Adobe Lightroom shows an Altitude value of 874m, which is way off. I suspect that value is based above sea level.

Does the Mini 2 store the altitude value as reported by DJI Fly anywhere in photo metadata?

I want to go back to a specific location and reshoot a photo at the same altitude as the first time, but Adobe Lightroom shows an Altitude value of 874m, which is way off. I suspect that value is based above sea level.
Lightroom is only showing a small part of the full metadata.
If you have problems finding the relative height, post the full-size original image here and someone can get the height you want from it.

Lightroom always shows my altitude as negative so I think I'm flying underground.

Also, you can change what metadata it displays.

Lightroom always shows my altitude as negative so I think I'm flying underground.

Also, you can change what metadata it displays.
No, you can't change what metadata Lightroom displays or what metadata is recorded for your images.
Lightroom is only displaying one of the two different height/altitude figures that's in the metadata.
But you could change the software you've used to read the metadata and see the whole picture rather than just a small selection.

I never said you can change what metadata is recorded. However, I disagree that you can't change what metadata LR displays.

lr-metadata.png

For example, under Camera Info, GPS and Altitude were unchecked when I went to look at my drone photos.
lr-gps.png

I never said you can change what metadata is recorded. However, I disagree that you can't change what metadata LR displays.
Interesting ... I'd assumed that it would be the same as Photoshop.
For example, under Camera Info, GPS and Altitude were unchecked when I went to look at my drone photos.
Does it show you the two altitude numbers now?

I don't see two altitude numbers. And the one I do see isn't coming from the EXIF data. The button next to its tooltip says, "Fetch altitude for coordinates". PS shows me an altitude that I would expect but LR does not.

I don't see two altitude numbers. And the one I do see isn't coming from the EXIF data. The button next to its tooltip says, "Fetch altitude for coordinates". PS shows me an altitude that I would expect but LR does not.
Like a lot of metadata viewers, Lightroom is only showing you a small part of the metadata.
Here's an example of much (not all) of the metadata from one DJI drone photo:
Note in the panel near the centre, there are tow altitude numbers giver: relative altitude and absolute altitude.
i-3pwPXk9-XL.jpg

It looks like the data you're expecting is in the XMP section, and I don't have any XMP files, just the DNG and JPG.

It's 1:30am here, though, so I'll dig more later.

It looks like the data you're expecting is in the XMP section, and I don't have any XMP files, just the DNG and JPG.

It's 1:30am here, though, so I'll dig more later.
The XMP data is part of the metadata that's in each dng and jpg file.
Lightroom just doesn't show it

Hmm. I haven't played with RAW files in years but in my experience XMP was a sidecar rather than an embedded file. Not that that couldn't have changed. Regardless, I don't have XMP in LR Classic. Mind you, I stopped using it when they went to the whole Creative Cloud garbage so I may be missing something.

Hmm. I haven't played with RAW files in years but in my experience XMP was a sidecar rather than an embedded file. Not that that couldn't have changed. Regardless, I don't have XMP in LR Classic. Mind you, I stopped using it when they went to the whole Creative Cloud garbage so I may be missing something.
It's not about raw image files or Lightroom.
Every jpg and every dng file has image metadata.
Lots of viewers will only show you a short version of the metadata as Lightroom does.
Some will show all of it.

Yes. I was a professional photographer. I'm well-versed in image metadata. I used to have a profile to set the IPTC values and registered my images with the Library of Congress for US copyright protection.

I'm simply stating that it doesn't show up for me regardless of whether it's there or not. Your screens do not look like mine. That is all.

Hopefully this hasn't been a horrible derailment of the OP's question. That wasn't my intent with my original comment.

I'm simply stating that it doesn't show up for me regardless of whether it's there or not. Your screens do not look like mine. That is all.
You are using Lightroom ... and it's not capable of showing the full suite of metadata that your images have.
The screens I showed are from one of the programs that does show the full metadata.

Well, that was completely unclear to me. I figured it just looked different because I'm on a Mac and figured you had a Windows version. Perhaps sharing the name of the app you used would be helpful to the OP.

No, you can't change what metadata Lightroom displays or what metadata is recorded for your images.
I have likely misinterpreted what you meant by your statement, but one can change the EXIF data for any image. See this thread for a full discussion.
I suppose the distinction is between what is recorded and what can be altered. Anything that is recorded can be altered, and that which was not recorded can be added.

Last edited:
I have likely misinterpreted what you meant by your statement, but one can change the EXIF data for any image. See this thread for a full discussion.
Yes, you can alter metadata after the fact..
But you can't change what the DJI camera records

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima